PKR Partial Knee post op<

@Smythe89 -I’m sorry you are having so much difficulty. I too had a PKR in June, 2017 and my recovery did not go well. I had a series of lumbar nerve block injections in my back that blocked the nerves to my knee. That helped tremendously. However, I still was having great difficulty with stairs, longer walks, etc., and I too developed a very large baker’s cyst behind the knee. No X-ray or MRI was needed to confirm as the doctor and anyone who felt behind my knee could feel it. My surgeon thought the best move was to go to a total knee replacement which I had on 10/2/18. I’m happy to report that it has been the best decision ever. My recovery has been so much different and better. I’m 8 weeks today and doing very well. I will have my last PT appt. next Tuesday. At PT today my flexion was 129 and my extension was 0. I’ve started taking stairs normally foot over foot with no pain, just a little tightness. I hsven’t taken any pain meds for weeks.

Has your surgeon ever suggested going to a full replacement?
 
You sound like you are doing great! I am 8 weeks out and still quite painful although back to normal activity. Driving, shopping, cooking some light household cleaning. Still taking Percocet x 3 5mg a day and some ibruprofen. My best advice is don’t rush it.
 
I am 8 weeks out and still quite painful although back to normal activity. Driving, shopping, cooking some light household cleaning.
No wonder you have pain. It's much to early in your recovery for you to be doing all that!
 
MD has not suggested total yet. I assume we will exhaust all other options before crossing that bridge but I’m certainly open to anything that will help me get my life back:cry:
 
@Smythe89 - there are many on this forum who have had failed partials that have went on to have successful total replacements. This is just what I’ve heard/read, but that more and more surgeons are not even doing partials anymore because of the high rate of failures and revisions done to totals. They are going straight to total replacements.
 
I’m not happy with my partial, at 20 months post op. I wish I’d had more information before I signed up for this. I still have more limitations now than I did before surgery.
 
@Jockette - I hear you! There were so many times I cursed at myself after I had the partial. I would have given anything to go back in time and not have had it. Now that I have a total replacement and the outcome has been so good, I’m glad I had the surgery. With being worse off than you were before the partial, what is holding you back from seeking a total knee replacement?
 
I’m so frustrated because I was progressing nicely and felt pretty great at 3 months but now I’m nearly as bad off as I was pre surgery. I’m also on a bit of a time crunch now. We head south for the winter and my surgeon is in NY. My insurance is rather local to NY NJ. If I were to need a TKR, I would probably put it off again until the spring. My daughter is getting married in Nov of 2019. I’d love to be able to dance at her wedding!
 
Have you looked for a second opinion surgeon, one who specializes in revisions? Not that you necessarily need a revision, but this type of surgeon is skilled at looking for particular issues in replacements.
 
Not yet. I think it is best to wait and see what the MRI shows. It’s been scheduled for the 14th.
 
MRI results are normal. 7 months post op and I can’t walk my dog around the block without being hobbled but normal MRI. :scratch: Doc says gentle stretching, don’t overwork the joint. I’m on my way to warmer climate next week. Perhaps that will help:shrug:
 
If you’re still in pain it may be time to look for someone else with fresh eyes who has done revisions.

I was a few years post op and had pain when walking for longer than a 10-15 minutes. I decided to build up my walking slowly by walking 10 minutes 2x a day for a week, then after a week I’d add 5 minutes to both walks and by the end of the week I was walking with no pain. Each week I’d add that 5 minutes until eventually I was walking 25-30 2x a day so I combined the 2 walks to one longer walk. I’ve been very surprised that I can walk a few miles every day now.
 
I've just been told I'm a 95% likely candidate for a partial knee replacement of the medial side so I'm very interested in what compartment you had replaced. Was yours an Oxford partial knee replacement of the medial area?
 
Jeffnate I had a medial replacement (Mako).

Karri- I like that idea! I’m going to give that a go when I get to Florida. Warm weather walks are good for my soul and hopefully my knee.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom