Guest viewing is limited

PKR Partial Knee post op<

Well, so much for guidelines:loll: my OS doesn’t have any!
That's good.

Guidelines aren't really accurate anyway, as everyone's knee is different.

In spite of what many surgeons say, we have found here on BoneSmart that it does almost always take just as long to recover from a PKR as from a TKR. I've had both. First a PKR and later a TKR on both knees. My recoveries were all very similar - just as slow, just as frustrating.
 
@Smythe89 , sounds like a great post-op visit. I go on Friday for mine and am not certain of what to expect with respect to what they’ll say for guidance or next steps. I fully expect to get referred to outpatient PT, which is fine with me. I *think* my recovery is such that it will be non-eventful, but who knows?

Enjoy driving (carefully of course)! I miss being out in the world and being able to just function as an adult. :)

Hedgehog
 
Thank you Celle and Hedgehog for your kind encouragement. I’m pleased with the way thing have progressed although I do understand that anxiety and depression are part of this process. It’s scary not knowing if things are progressing as expected and having positive feedback from most members here has been a blessing:thankyou: so onward I go. I noticed this morning that I am pain free while ambulating. I haven’t had that happen for over a year. So, a huge thank you again for all your positive responses.
 
Yay!! Celebrate the pain free walking around. I noticed the same earlier this week. My pain has greatly diminished and I can heartily say that right now, it’s less painful than it was prior to surgery. I know there will still be rough days (and nights) ahead, but it is invigorating.

In my pre-surgery thread, I commented on how alone I felt the mental journey this present turned out to be. It’s a journey that only we take and while well-intentioned loved ones and friends express genuine concern for recovery, we are the ones that carry the anxiety before the surgery and battle the blues that come from pain, the challenge of recovery, lack of sleep, isolation and the ebb and flow of hope that tomorrow will be better than today. It’s just hard.

Stay steady. It’s easy to want to measure progress by the hour or day, but in reality, looking at it in week or longer increments will reveal the real progress.

Hedgehog
 
@Smythe89, I’m a fellow PKR (left lateral on April 16) so I’m roughly 4 weeks / a month further along than you. I’ll share some of my experiences relevant to your questions to give you some perspective to your own case.

I took the prescribed narcotic pain killer (OxyContin) as directed from the day of surgery until just a few days before my first post-op follow up at two weeks. It really helped with overall pain and sleep. At my follow up I asked to have the meds changed to something less strong and addictive. Was put on Norco which may have been a mistake as it doesn’t seem to be as effective. Regardless, I’ve been on only OTC pain management for the past three weeks (I’m at 6 weeks right now). I never had pain along the outside of my knee which is the side replaced. All of my pain has been associated with the soft tissues along the inside of my knee, just to the right of my knee cap. At first it didn’t make sense cause it’s opposite the side replaced, but given where the incision is and moving of the knee cap, etc I can understand why. Overall my pain level is normally down to a 2 or 3 but there is one area that flairs up when I over do things and feels like a sharp intense pinch which makes stepping down stairs very difficult. Although my next scheduled follow up with my OS wasn’t until late July, I decided to get a visit next week to have him check that area of concern. I will be on travel the last 3 weeks of June and want to make sure no issues.

I’ve always loved icing for its effect on pain and swelling. But I also found my knee felt stiff (frozen) following icing if I got up right away. I found my knee felt very flexible following a nice hot shower. I think it’s due to the heat helping to loosen the ligaments, muscles, and tendons.

I didn’t start PT until 3 weeks after surgery. No pushing or forcing on the knee. Only had PT for 4 weeks (tomorrow is my last session). My ROM has been 0-120 for the past two weeks (some measurements down to 113 if measured after exercise due to minor swelling). My PT says my progress at 6 weeks is where he sees most patients at 12 weeks. He credits my surgeon, says he’s one of the best.

My biggest issue has been lack of sleep but that seems to be a common issue for most. Last good nights sleep was about 4 weeks ago.

Number one lesson is to listen to your knee! Your head will say “I feel great and can go do whatever “. Your knee will definitely let you know when that is not true. Definitely like little toddlers who throw tantrums when they don’t like something.

Good luck! Ask questions whenever you are unsure of something or even just want to vent.
 
Thank you guys! It’s good to have so much positive support. So today, I went house shopping. We are selling our current home and signed contracts a few days ago. I was on my feet most of the day. Up and down stairs toddler style:loll: I seemed to tolerate all that fairly well but tomorrow I may feel differently. We shall see.
Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement!!
 
Smythe89, sounds like you are doing wonderful! I had partial on May 4th and feel like I'm behind where I "should" be. I have been doing PT since the day of surgery lol That day seemed great, but of course I still had meds on board! The day after, while in the hospital, they did PT with me twice before I was released - that did not go as well to say the least lol

I am still taking pain meds 2 times a day, once in the am and one before bed. The rest of the day, I switch between Advil and Tylenol. Pain is not really that bad, just feels super stiff and achy mostly, but I feel like I can do my exercises better with taking 1 pain med before I do them. I also go to PT two times a week. Bend is only at about 98 - I think it should be more by now. It doesn't hurt really to bend it, it just literally feels like I can't, like my skin will burst if I go any further. My PT says it's just the swelling. While the outside swelling looks so much better, she says it's still pretty swollen inside.

I ice a few times a day as well as elevate - which feels really good. I can get around without any help, still use a crutch though as I feel like I use my knee more if I do use it.

I'm just feeling very down I guess - frustrated more I suppose. I feel useless, like going to the grocery store is all I can do in a day, then I'm too tired out to do anything else. I've been driving since my 2 week follow-up, which is nice. I just wish I could walk normally, bend normally, sleep normally, etc. Sigh...............
 
Pacosmom, hang in there. It sounds like you’re progressing, just in your knee’s own sweet time. Hugs.
 
Pacomom I think you’re doing great too! Yesterday was an anomaly for me. I haven’t normally been spending hours on end on my leg. I just didn’t have a choice. I’m limping today which is different. My entire leg is complaining about yesterday :heehee: I drove for the first time today. Getting in went well, getting the right leg out...not a pretty picture:rotfl: my skin feels the same way yours does. It’s so tight and I just can’t bend it anymore than that allows. It’s such an odd feeling almost like a rubber band around the knee. Sigh...it has gotten better and will continue to do so.
So I did PT today and ran to Kinkos to make copies. That’s all I have in me today and truly most days. I know how you feel. Sleeping has been as issue for me as well but last night I didn’t elevate my leg and I slept much better! Tonight, who knows.
Keep up the good work. We are all going to get there when we get there.
:martini: Cheers
 
Spend a day or two doing not much but icing and elevating after your big day yesterday.
 
Hi there! Nervous as I plan to drive for the first time. Sounds silly. Due to my being out of town prior to surgery, I have not been behind the wheel of a car since May 3rd!

Hopefully you’ve recovered - I too had a big week and it really tired me out. Couple errands this morning as I prepare to get back to office next week. Taking it one day at a time though.

Have a great Saturday!
 
@Smythe89 & @pacosmom, I think both of you are progressing just fine. Tightness and the feeling like you have a tight band around your knee are clear signs of internal swelling regardless what the outside looks like. I’m at 7 weeks (this coming Monday) and still experience the same. Depending on my daily activities, some days better than others.

I just learned a lesson the hard way. At our point of recovery, don’t be fooled into backing off of your pain med regimen (even if just OTC) just because your feeling better. I did so yesterday and paid for it last night and this morning. Spending today getting back on schedule and playing “catch up “.

Have a great weekend.
 
Oh no @NavyGunns, sorry to hear that! I hope you feel better today! I still take 1 pain med first thing in the morning and 1 before bed - the rest of the day I've been doing well switching between Advil and Tylenol.

It's cold and rainy today and my knee feels more achy than normal - so I'll probably be able to give weather tips from now on lol
 
Hi there! Nervous as I plan to drive for the first time. Sounds silly!

Not silly at all. I had the right leg done so getting in the car is good, using the pedals, good...getting out is a sight to behold:rotfl:
 
was also nervous when I first started driving with tor on right knee. Took me a while to figure out to turn my whole body facing out in the seat and then drop my leg sideways to pull my foot past the door frame. at 12 weeks, I still have to do this but it's getting easier. Getting in and using my foot to maneuver the pedals was no problem. Very freeing to be driving again.
 
Hi Marguette
I’m still trying to figure it out. At first I was dragging it behind me:yikes: and that was just crazy! Now I am trying to get both legs out but I seem to be doing something odd with my right foot to get it past the door. Whatever I’m doing it reminds me of the fact that I just had a PKR. Ouch! Also, normally I toggle between gas and break rather than lifting my whole foot. That isn’t fun either:heehee: work in progress and as long as I don’t fall out of the car I’m just glad to have some freedom
 
.getting out is a sight to behold
I used my left foot to carry the weight of my new knee leg as I let it slowly lower to the ground. Just put you left foot under your right ankle and shift your weight to the side and out of the car door.
 
Hi there, I learned that driving itself was good (little uneasy) but agree that getting in/out was a a challenge. I found myself natively making that twisting motion to swing my legs out of the car (same as pre-surg) and received a zap of pain for doing so. Slow and steady does it.
 
Practice, practice, practice!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom