Bilateral TKR ParamedicGirl on the "other side"

Hey ParamedicGirl, Glad to see your coming around. I'm sure those knees will be cute again. I had staples that looked more like hog rings. At 2 weeks they cut those out & put the super glue & stera strips on the knee. That has come off now & the scar is not that noticeable. I think my knee will be pretty cute for a 60 year old guy. I'm just glad the hair is growing back. :snork: Still say it's the pop tarts.
 
Today is my first post op check up with my surgeon. I have a list of questions to ask since I want to fully understand why I am experiencing specific types of pain (under the knee cap, along side the outer side of my right knee, inside of my left knee).

Outpatient therapy is going well thus far and I really like the two PT specialists who work with me. They do push to the point of "uncomfortable" but want me to tell them if it gets to pain so that they stop. My right knee is at 115, and my left knee, with some help, is at 110. For whatever reason, my left knee is much more stiff or tight than my right, and so needs more "work". Once my incisions are declared completely healed, they will add hydrotherapy to PT. I am still using my walker, mostly in the morning until I get warmed up, or if I need to get somewhere "faster"...lol, but have also started using one crutch, or in small rooms, ambulating on my own and focusing on balance.

More after the appointment....
 
I had my one month check in with my OS last Thursday. He pronounced me "in the top 5% of his bilateral TKR patients". I am one of those who think I should always be doing better than I am; that I should be working harder, striving for more. Yet, what I am doing now is more than enough. I just have to recognize it. For those of you who have followed me from the beginning, you will remember my biggest stressor is being able to return to work between 6/17 and 25, or I lose my job. I don't want to jinx my recovery by saying I know I'll get there, or anything else. But so far, so good.

AND yesterday was 5 weeks from the day of surgery! I will readily admit you think you will never get to "point B" or you are forever wondering when "X" will happen or in some cases, go away. However, in public I am walking with a cane, around the house I try to walk without a cane, I am driving, hydrotherapy is now an option and will start in a week or so, sleeping on my side is now possible for a few hours at a time (how many of us find THAT simple accomplishment a blessed relief?), I started cooking some meals again (short and sweet, not hours on my feet), and so much more. Simple movements, positions, accomplishments that only we or our SO recognize.

Fatigue and intolerance (lol) still haunt me and it took numerous experiences for me to realize that after late afternoon, I am just not up to company, or going out. I am hoping after 6 weeks or thereabouts, that starts to disappear.

And starting Thursday afternoon, I will be completely on my own. I had Lynn when I first came home, and my mother, who has been here for 2 weeks, will leave tomorrow. I haven't really needed much of my mom's assistance, but the fresh fruit plate while in bed will be missed in the morning...lol.
 
You won't be completely alone. You have all of us. :friends:
You have made great progress. There is so much healing to be done.
That fatigue is a darn. But the rest is needed. I like to visualize.
I see myself getting better & stronger. I see myself at the top of the mountain taking in all the beauty that was put here for us to enjoy. I will be there & I'm sure you will too. You have a tough job to get back to. Takes a special kind of person to do it. The same kind that can get through this & be even better at it than you were before.
 
6 weeks tomorrow...I just took my last coumadin. Thank goodness. Now I can get back to my GREEN SMOOTHIES! I've been missing my greens!!

Using the cane while out and about; but trying to walk on my own around the house. Driving; I've been shopping. :yahoo:

Still having problems sleeping through the night no matter what "process" I follow in terms of meds, activities, etc. 3-4 hours at the most and only after 2 a.m. or so.

I love baths and have missed being able to take them. Last night the fiance and I practiced getting in and out of the tub while clothed and the tub was dry. :rotfl: BUT, when I finally got in to sit in hot water and felt myself relax...I cried. :boohoo: Did it again when I got out. How emotionally overwhelming it is when it's possible to add important "normal" activities back into my life! Unfortunately it didn't help me sleep better, but it was still so nice.

I have gone 4 days without PT and I'm not pleased with the gap. I let them know on Thursday that I don't want to go more than 2 days without PT in the future. However, I still had good ROM when I went to the Chiropractor today. He was also quite pleased with my progress and I'll be going once a week for awhile, mostly to help with the backache from twisting and turning from trying to get comfy to sleep. He also recommended alternating sides with use of the cane but hopefully in another week or so, I won't need it.

What? Time for a bath? I'm outta here!:bath:
​
 
I took my first bath last night....about had a panic attack trying to figure put how to get out of the tub! Won't do it again anytime soon.

I have pain behind my knee tonight....any suggestions, enlightenments?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Funny how the pain we all feel is so different yet in many cases the same. I haven't experienced pain "behind" my knee although I get the "IT Band" pain on the outside of the right knee, and there is often an excruciating pain on extension on the inside right of my left knee. I haven't found any of the narcotic pain killers to relieve any of these pains. As for NSAIDS, I haven't been able to take any due to the Coumadin (which finished yesterday!). I'll be curious if ASA, Tylenol, Aleve, etc. work any better. I have found elevation and gentle massage (I use organic coconut oil) on my knees helps a lot even if only temporarily at times.

As for the bath I found that the following works best for me: sit on the edge of the tub, lift one leg at a time in, brace my strongest leg (the left) against the tub, then lift and lower myself in by using the edge of the tub and the soap dish. Now we have an old fashioned heavy duty ceramic soap dish that is pretty secure. If I had my druthers, I would just lift using both sides of the tub. However, the way ours is installed, i have no edge in which to brace or grasp on the one side. To get out, just reverse, bracing the strongest leg and lifting only to sit on the edge of the tub, etc. With all that said, if your upper body isn't strong enough to lift, don't risk it.
 
Greetings to all fellow single and bilateral knee replacement folks!

I am 8 weeks out from my BTKR, and thus far have had no complications. My ROM on my right leg is 130 + and my left leg is 124. Strength plus ROM is our focus in PT. This last week I rode my bike 5 miles and wore low heels to some events that were on the calendar. I'll be honest and say that the day after wearing heels, I rested my legs most of the day. Walking is good, but standing in one place for a long period of time is uncomfortable. The night time continues to plague me with a variety of different pains (now it's pins and needles, and I am attributing that to healing nerves as previously numb spots are not so numb). I still take pain meds at night, but unfortunately, they do not keep me asleep all night. My fiance and I are still craving a solid night's sleep...lol.

I am continuing with my PT 3 x a week. I've been approved for 12 weeks (or 36 visits) and I will use each and every one of them. They will continue into the first couple of weeks I return to work, and I will somehow manage to keep them. My pt moved me into pool therapy once a week a couple of weeks ago and I love it. Water therapy, as she calls it, is just as important as land therapy. My employer was also cooperative and loaned me old equipment to use in functional training (carrying equipment, getting in and out of vehicles, up and down the stairs, down and back up from the floor, etc.).

I went to visit my partners and as I walked away from the office, I turned and saw them watching me, smiling and giving me a thumbs up as they watched me walk straight and without a limp/lurch. It was uplifting!!!

Initially I was getting irritated with people talking to me all the time about having BTKR at therapy as well as wherever I walked and commenting on how well I am doing. I live in a small town and have had strangers stop me on the street. I have to admit to being ashamed that I was so irritated. My knees have a lot of prayer, love and magick in them. God and the elements of the Universe have declared that my experience and my healing is likely to serve as inspiration to others. This I graciously, and most gratefully, accept as my mission.

I see my surgeon tomorrow for a check up and I think he will be pleased. My prayers continue for all of you!
 
Sounds like you are doing great , I got great news, you will continue to improve by leaps and bounds , in the not too distant future. Granted I have had only 1 knee done in February but the things im able to do is miraculous. Its great to hear others sharing in the blessings. Keep up the great work. Iceman
 
Wow! ParamedicGirl, I love reading your thread. I just had my BTKR 2 weeks ago. I follow your progress closely so I can learn what might be possible.

I am glad you've successfully returned to work.

Please keep posting for years if possible. We would all like to know how we are doing, not only right now.
 
@Wellness in Virginia, I am not back to work yet. I will not return until later in June. I have never gone this long without working. It will be 12 weeks. My brain is telling me that I should have "accomplished more" during this time off. But this time is for resting and healing and not for crossing items off my to do list...lol.
 
Fantastic progress! As @Wellness in Virginia says, please keep posting. We will continue rooting for you as you rest and heal so that you'll be ready to return to work when the time comes.
 
Great going! You sound wonderful!!
 
Yes, you are very impressive!!! That's a lot of PT coming up yet. You have a very important job to get back to.
Takes a tough person to do that. Mind & body. I am thankful for people like you that can. When I was working I had 3 Firemen & 1 Ambulance Driver working for me plus one of the office girls is an EMT. Small town volunteer dept. but it covers a large lake & river system plus a stretch of interstate with rest areas (everyone pulls in when they feel ill). What these people do & see is unbelievable. If my house was on fire or I had a stroke or accident, these are the people I want to see. People like you..............Thanks.
 
@ParamedicGirl .....I was the same way about having to have assistance getting out of bed until the wonderful therapist introduced me to the stiff leash!!!! I practiced all day with that thing and by nighttime I could get out of bed by myself and get to the bathroom!! I felt like I had conquered Mt Everest!!! I was ready to go home after that and I did!!! Home felt so much better. Glad you are improving daily.
 
It was Tuesday evening, June 17. Mark and I were having dinner out prior to going to see Christopher Kimball (America's Test Kitchen) at the DuPont Theater. It was there that it dawned on me that it was 12 weeks since my surgery. And I started to cry. Mark and I toasted to my recovery, and I toasted him for his never wavering support.

My last PT is tomorrow and I am to wear my uniform pants, boots and duty belt to do the obstacle course. My employer loaned me old equipment and PT set up an obstacle course that included up and down stairs, stepping over differing heights, getting down on my knees, etc. while carrying about 40-50 lbs of equipment. My ROM is 130+ on my right knee and 125-130 on my left knee (it was the worst one). One of my best at home stretches is kneeling on a pillow and sitting as far back on my knees as I comfortably can do.

Where am I truly? I am pain free, and even the spasms at night have gone away (thank GOD!!!). I walk, bike, dance a little, wear low to medium heels, and I return to work on Wednesday, June 25. Full time, full duty. I have ordered knee pads that I will keep in the medication bag to put on when I need to kneel. While the spasms are gone, I still "feel" my knees when I need to turn over in bed. My knees want to bend, then straighten out, bend, straighten out...lol. They just don't want to be in one position for very long. I take Advil every other day or so, usually when I have overdone it. Even though I am doing great, I can still overdue it...I am reminded that full healing takes about a year.

I have not yet caught up on everyone else, but I will do so, but in the meantime I hope all of you are doing great!

A funny one...I have been on my church's prayer list for several weeks. 2 weeks ago, I surprised many people by kneeling at the altar rail to receive communion. As we were leaving the church, I said to Fr. Chris said "I do believe you can take me off the prayer list now", and he said "I believe we can".

I am grateful for friends and family who have kept me in their thoughts and prayers, who have encouraged me every step of the way. I am grateful and humbled that I have been able to encourage others whether through this forum or at PT. I had several tell me that I was an inspiration to them...but one man in particular had his knee replacement in January and up until 3 weeks ago could not get past 90 degrees in ROM. He said my "cheerleading" and suggestions on how to breathe through the pain helped him over his fear and now he was 130 degrees!!!

I'll be back to let you know how I did on my return to work. I have no doubt I will be exhausted on those first few days back.
 
Congratulations on your recovery !! Just a word of caution on returning to work. I only had one knee replaced and fortunately for me 16 weeks off work. However I work as a butcher for a very busy Costco in San Franciscos Bay Area. I went back full bore with alot to prove and the young ones vying for my job. Well I threw my back out within 4 hours on my very first shift. I hadnt been off work prior to surgery for about 20 years. My manager even offered me to work 25 hours my first week back . Consider perhaps working 5 hour shifts your first week. Just a thought. Our knees have damaged our bodies over the years and we need to understand this. Be careful. Iceman
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom