Guest viewing is limited

TKR Painful knee

My husband, who is very positive about my recovery, keeps telling me; "why do you care if both knees bend the same! As long as you can do everything you want to do!" I know he is right about that. It is nice having a positive force at home to bring me back to reality of what is truly important.:angel:
Your husband is so right! How blessed you are to have someone by your side. Many of us recovered alone, and it makes it lonely and hard.

Your recovery is going along fabulously!
 
:hi:Hi Renee!
I love your update. You're doing great!
"Tossing and turning is easier." So funny...but it's the truth!
It feels good when you don't have to carefully contemplate each move, or brace yourself for pain or discomfort.
My husband, who is very positive about my recovery, keeps telling me; "why do you care if both knees bend the same!
So true! You're effortlessly engaging in the activities of daily living, sleeping better, driving and transitioning from hating your knee to loving your knee! You're on your way...keep up the good work! :thumb:
 
Still trying to kneel on the floor (on a rug) to do a yoga pose. My OS said this would help with my flex. I have not seen much of an improvement in this. I kneel very gingerly because it feels so weird - but no real pain.
Sounds like you are doing really well. I couldn't do stairs easily at your stage.
I found thin ( about 3/4- 1 inch) knee pads very helpful for kneeling.
I really wanted to kneel to do back exercises for my lumbar arthritis. I can kneel reasonably well now ( 16 months). I use the knee pads for exercise classes but I can kneel briefly on a wooden floor or carpet to get something. It's still not entirely normal- not painful but still a bit odd and uncomfortable if I lean too much on what was the numb patch ( no longer numb- but not quite back to normal sensation). The research shows that a lot more knee replacement people can kneel if they are given encouragement and practice. It just takes a while to adjust to the odd sensation.
 
Thank you @sistersinhim , @EalingGran , & @Layla for responding so quickly ( and kindly) to my post!

So, I haven’t done any classes yet at the gym because my OS recommended waiting 6 months PO. ( I would have to agree with him because the 1 class I really want to take is a spin class. I cannot trust myself to take it easy during the 45 min class. :dubious:) But, I am really excited to try a silver sneakers class with a friend. I have never done this class, but it seems to be a class that I could take it easy in. I am taking it easy today to rest my knee from yesterdays gym workout. ( my knee is a bit sore & right) Besides walking in the neighborhood, I only did ADLs today. ( I live in a 2 story house w/ a finished basement, so I am constantly going up and down stairs all day!). I will let you know how I do in the silver sneakers class tomorrow!:) :-) (:
 
To.quote Tom Petty the waiting the hardest part. I'm going thru same thing. Thought I'd be up and running after a few months. Praying for you!
 
To.quote Tom Petty the waiting the hardest part.
Oh my goodness...you're too young to remember that old song, lol. :wink:

Good luck with the Silver Sneakers today Nay Nay. I've heard that fitness class mentioned here many times. Please let us know how it goes and what your feelings on committing to it as a regular attender are. Your honest review may benefit other readers here.
Good luck and enjoy!
@Nay Nay
 
Good morning BoneSmart friends.
I did great at the Silver Sneakers class. Whoo Hoo!! :loveshwr:It was a lot of fun and I was able to do everything without modification. It was nice being in a class where you could do whatever your ability is. Some people stayed in a chair the whole time modifying the exercises, and others used the chair as support for standing. (Which is what I did) Some of the people didn't need the chair to hold onto. You are able to choose the amount of weight for the upper body, along with bands sizes. The instructor often explained how to modify the exercise for each section AND she helped people who needed it. (For example, one woman sitting in a chair, could not reach or bend to put the band around her feet. The instructor came and did it for her.:) In fact, she helped that same woman a few times during the class & offered her services to others!) I am planning on doing the class again on Monday with a different instructor, so we will see how that goes. I think Silver Sneakers is a good class to get back into working your whole body and just moving. I love classes, so for me, it was great. The music is also so much fun & made the 45 minutes fly by. I also liked that everyone in the class was just so nice & helpful. Until I am able to do more advance classes, I am planning on staying in this one. Even though in the other classes, like Pilates or Spin, you can modify what or how much you do, the participants are usually younger and go all out. I am very competitive, so I would definitely be urged on to do what they are doing. (It is just my personality.) In the Silver Sneakers class, there were people of all ages, but I would say the majority is over 60.

After the class, I rode the bike for 15 minutes, did 1 lap in the pool using a boogie board so I could kick my legs, and then went into the hot tub for 10 minutes. I did some of my exercises in the hot tub, which I really like. (my leg/knee works so much better in there) ~ See obsessive personality??

However, last night I was sore! :umm: I am on the ODIC bench today! It is not terrible though. Since it is a rainy, yucky day today in NY, it is the perfect excuse to sit on the couch (after food shopping) and watch a movie. :heehee:
Enjoy your Thursday everyone!
Renee
 
Sounds like the Silver Sneakers class was a great find, @Nay Nay! But sorry you ended up on the ODIC bench.

Isn't it funny how, when we are having a good day, we tend to push ourselves over the edge? Maybe next time you go, though, leave out either the bike and or pool! Give that knee some love!
 
the participants are usually younger and go all out. I am very competitive, so I would definitely be urged on to do what they are doing. (It is just my personality
I think you are very wise to stick to the Silver Sneakers for now. It is so easy to overdo it in group classes if you are competitive by nature.
 
I was worried by the time I got to the bottom of the post you might be hurting. You accomplished a lot!
Now to temper it just enough so that it's still fulfilling and enjoyable without pushing yourself too far.
You're doing great though, Nay Nay. Thanks for sharing an update with us! :)
@Nay Nay
 
I have learned that doing Silver Sneakers, 20 minutes on a bike, & a lap in the pool is too much for my knee. (Still learning what I can do with this new knee! :heehee: ) I have done a lap with a boogie board before and had the same results; where my knee hurts. I think, for me, kicking my legs is not great - at this time.

I went to the gym with my hubby today and we did some upper body and the bike. (then the hot tub) That was enough for me today. I am now going to ice & elevate my leg. On Monday, when I do the Silver Sneakers class again, I will not do the pool!

I am so grateful to be doing better now. I can do all the things I want ~ with modifications ~ but I am doing something other than PT exercises and sitting on the couch.:sad: I am, however, shocked at how weak my muscles are & how awful my stamina is. When everyone says that this is a year long recovery, you guys weren't kidding!! It is hard work to get back to my previous fitness level.

Enjoy the weekend everyone.
Renee
 
OMG Yes to it taking a long time for strength and stamina!

At about 9 months and 13 months out, I can walk nonstop further than I did for many years preop - a bit over three miles now - but it's lack of stamina, not knee problems, limiting me (my goal is a 5 miler by year end!).

I'm still slowly working on building my quads and hamstrings.
 
Finding the right balance of activities can be so hard, @Nay Nay. It's so hard not to overdo as we start to feel better (I'm about a month behind you and struggling with the same challenge.)

We just need to keep reminding ourselves that this is a "tortoise" recovery -- slow and steady wins the race.

Be kind to yourself! :console2:
 
5 1/2 month update (22 weeks)

I have been doing the Silver Sneakers classes twice a week and I am loving it! On the days I do the class, I have learned, to only relax in the hot tub for 10 minutes, and call it a day! This has been working, as I am just a bit sore, so I ice and elevate when I get home.

Today, it was a beautiful day here in the Hudson Valley. I could not bare to go to the gym and work on my upper body and be INDOORS! Hubby and I decided to take our road bikes down to the river path (very flat) to try riding. OMG! It was awesome! My knee bent a little bit more than the stationary bike I ride in the gym, so at first my knee was a little tight. But after a few minutes, my knee loosened up and I was riding! My computer on my bike needs a battery ( so I don’t know how far we rode. However, we rode for about 30 min). I felt really good on the bike and wanted to do another loop, but my sensible husband said for my first time we should take it easy. :wink: It is a good thing I had him with me!

Iced and elevated when I got home. My knee is ok, a little tight, but it seems like my knee is tight every day. All in all, it was a glorious day to be outside on my bike. :egypdance:

I hope everyone is having a good recovery. For those in the early stages of this long journey, it really does get better!!
 
What a lovely idea to switch up the exercise and enjoy some time outdoors on a beautiful day. Glad you had hubs with you to temper your enthusiasm and wise to do some preventative icing afterward.
Thanks for sharing your journey with us, Nay Nay!
@Nay Nay
 
Good morning Bone Smart Friends!
I am so sorry I have not commented on this forum since the beginning of April! Oh my, where does the time go??

Events at home have kept me mentally occupied: My sister, who I am going to Norway with at the end of July, found out she has breast cancer. It was caught very early, thank god! She had a lumpectomy and is currently finishing up with radiation. My husband had to have a biopsy on his prostate, which showed he has cancer. He recently had a PET scan that showed that he does NOT have cancer in his lymph nodes or bones. Again, thank god! Next week we find out what the treatment plan will be. And finally, my 16 year old cat, who also had a biopsy, was diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma in his mouth that traveled into his jaw bone. :cry: We kept him on palliative care for about a month when we finally had to let him go. It has been a horrible few weeks.

As for my new knee: I am now 7 months post surgery and doing great. On May 7th I went for my 6 month check up and the doctor said I was doing awesome! He did measure me (because I asked) and said my extension was 0 and my flex was 135! I could NOT believe it. He told me that I have no restrictions & I can do whatever I want. He said I can not hurt my knee at this point. (doing normal exercises....) My knee feels good almost every day. I am pretty much back to doing everything I want. Since then, I have done palates, spin, core, and silver sneaker classes every week. I have been outside weeding and planting my flowers and veggies. I really have not limited myself to anything. :yay:(I am still a bit leery to do our normal bike rides because there are some pretty big hills. I am not sure my quads are strong enough to conquer them right now. I want to wait a few more weeks before attempting them.) In fact, I am leaving for Florida on Thursday to help my mom and sister move into their new home. I feel so good, that I believe the plane ride, running through the airport, riding 90 minutes in a cab, packing boxes, and moving lighter items will all be just fine.

I want to thank all of you who have listened to my complaining about this new knee, for being so patient with me. You all said that it was a year long journey and I would feel good about this new knee after I totally recovered. I didn't believe that I would get there.....but I did. I can honestly say that I am loving life right now. I now know that I will continue to get better. I actually see it occurring in my classes each week. My first spin class I could not get out of the saddle at all (nor did I really try), after 3 weeks, I was able to ride out of the saddle for a few minutes. (I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but it was an awesome achievement for me!) I love seeing my improvements week after week.

The Bone Smart community was a real life saver for me. I spent hours on the forum not only posting my recovery, but reading everyone's recovery too. You all really helped my sanity and gave me the mental strength to get through this extremely tough recovery. I cannot thank you all enough.:thankyou:
I try to tell people who are going through this recovery to join the forum. (I guess I was not a very persuasive messenger, because the women I told, did not join!:chinstroke: )

For those of you new to recovery, trust the Bone Smart community. Their infinite wisdom, compassion, and kindness will help you navigate this long, twisty, journey. :SUNsmile:
Forever Grateful ~ Renee (Nay Nay)
 
Ugh, that's a lot of shock and heartache packed into a small amount of time, I am so sorry! :console2:
Thankfully you're doing really well and through your own admission "loving life right now" Woohoo! :yahoo:
Sounds like you earned a relaxing Norwegian vacay with your sister after all you've been through, physically and emotionally. So...safe travels to Florida this week and Norway at the end of July. Also, thanks for your kind words in regard to BoneSmart, it is much appreciated, Renee!
@Nay Nay
 
So sorry for your recent family troubles but glad your knee is not causing any issues. It is great when our knees no longer stop us doing anything we need to.
 
Thanks so much for coming back to update, @Nay Nay. We all know how life can "get in the way" and you've been dealing with a lot!

So glad to read that you are "loving life" again! And we look forward to hearing about your travels. Enjoy! :loveshwr:
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom