Guest viewing is limited

TKR Painful knee

I recently joined this forum and am glad I did. So many myths and worries about this surgery were dispelled. mostly the ones about getting a certain ROM within a time frame and tolerating pain to achieve it.
 
am still doing the slides in that same location and I am much better than I was early on. I am doing everything that I want to do, pretty much
If you can see improvement and you can do everything you want to do then that is all that really matters. It really isn't a good idea to get hung up on ROM numbers.
I had very good ROM from fairly early on but I was hypermobile pre-surgery, and I had some pain from an overstretched MCL for many months.
There were people on here with much less ROM than me who were skiing and surfing. I do wonder if some very fit ( the cyclists and skiers) people on here have tighter muscles and ROM comes a bit harder to them than the yoga/ pilates types??
ROM can come gradually for months. I got an extra 10-15 degrees after several months and now my flexion is almost as good as my other knee at 150+ .
I iced for many months because of residual pain and that may have helped my muscles to relax and heal as well.
 
I iced for many months because of residual pain and that may have helped my muscles to relax and heal as well.
I thought icing helped swelling and was unaware it also relieves pain. Maybe that's why I do have pain at 19 weeks post op: not taking time during the day to ice. Thank you.
 
@EalingGran , what is the name of the Pilates teacher you recommended to watch on YouTube again? I think I would like to try to do some of it.
 
Her name is Katja.
If you Google Katja Pilates YouTube she has loads of really good free classes.
In the early days I used mainly her short side lying glutes class with no kneeling or squats. That was my go-to rehab once I could get down to the floor.
 
@EalingGran , does she have exercises for ROM? Specifically flex? Since I stopped PT, I feel like I haven’t improved my flex. I still do the heel slides (laying on the couch and in a chair) just about every day. I also started doing the yoga pose downward dog? My surgeon recommended that yoga pose to help me increase my flex, but my butt is still high in the air. :heehee: But are there any other exercises that I can do? I also do many stretching exercises.
I am going to check out karma Pilates now!:egypdance:
 
She has lots of different classes including some stretching ones as well.
The short side lying glute strengthening one has some movements that would extend range and stretching.
They vary a lot and some are more difficult. There is one for recovery after illness which is quite gentle and might help ROM
 
I also thing walking with good form- heel to toe ( as recommended by BoneSmart) helped my ROM.
I was better in the morning early on.
I would have a good walk ( working up to 10,000 steps) but using a stick for reassurance in the early months.
Then I would rest with ice in the afternoon
I still had tightness as the day wore on for many many months. I think it was residual slight swelling. I think it was over a year before I stopped noticing any tightness by evening. It just gradually faded out but used to worry me.
 
Good morning BoneSmart peeps!!
Well, today is my 64th birthday and I have to say at 16 weeks ( it will be 17 weeks on Tuesday) I think I have finally turned a real corner!! I have noticed since Friday I have not had any real pain in my knee. I still have tightness, but it is only uncomfortable, not painful. When I am busy, I hardly notice it any more!:yes!: I went to the gym on Friday and did the bike, along with a few of the machines PT had me use (with the lowest weights). I was amazed that my knee did not scream at me later in the day. I guess I found that very fine line of doing exercises, but not overdoing it. I did not do water exercises because I figured out that working out in the gym and then doing water therapy, put me on the ODIC bench. I even did a lot of house work & cooking and my knee was okay. (YES!!) But amazing of all, is my walking. According to my husband, I walk normally - even first thing in the morning. He said that no one would be able to tell which leg I had surgery on. I feel better walking now! :dancy:

Yesterday, I had a massage. I told the woman that I had IT band issues about a month ago and I have been doing stretching exercises everyday. She told me when she finished the massage, that my IT band was fine and she did not feel any issues!! YAYYYYYY. So stretching really helped!!

I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to respond to my constant complaining. :umm:You guys were all right. This recovery takes time and everyone is different. I truly believe that a lot of my pain was because I was trying so hard to get better with exercise that I actually made my recovery worse!! I still get anxious about my ROM numbers not being where I want them to be yet, but I have gotten so much better at realizing that I can do just about everything I want now, even if my ROM isn't 130/0.

I have a question, that I think I know the answer to, but want confirmation:
My mom's partner had RTKR on Feb 16th. Her leg is really bruised and swollen, from her foot to her thigh. I told her to ice and elevate - toes above nose. She said the nurse told her the best way to get rid of the swelling in her foot and ankle was to walk. She said walking is best for swelling. That makes no sense to me. The nurse said it helps with circulation and would be helpful for the swelling. Am I wrong on this? I also told my mom to massage the area to go up towards the thigh to ease the edema. Am I confusing them with my advice? I told my mom's partner to join this forum, but she hasn't yet. (and probably won't.)

Have a wonderful Sunday!! Spring is right around the corner!!
Thank you again for being there for me and helping me through this journey!
 
Happy Birthday, @Nay Nay -- and happy early 4 month an-knee-versary! :loveshwr:

So happy to read that you feel you've turned a corner and are getting back to life!

She said the nurse told her the best way to get rid of the swelling in her foot and ankle was to walk. She said walking is best for swelling. That makes no sense to me. The nurse said it helps with circulation and would be helpful for the swelling.
The answer is that both are needed. Icing and elevating are extremely important to reduce swelling -- especially during the early weeks of recovery. Walking is important for circulation and to prevent clots. That's why the hospital gets surgical patients up to walk so soon after surgery -- and why we are told to get up and walk for five minutes every couple of hours.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Painful knee

HAPPY 64th BIRTHDAY!
Happy Four Month Anniversary too. Wonderful update. Thanks for sharing the good news!
 
Happy Birthday! Enjoy the gift of your new knee!
 
Happy belated birthday! What a way to celebrate - with a new improved edition of your knee!!!
 
Thank you all for my birthday wishes!

I had a great day, filled with warm sunshine! We spent nearly all day outside, which was a gift.

However, last night my knee was complaining a bit. I guess I did too much preparing for company, being on my feet most of the day, and cleaning up. I also did not do any of my stretching exercise because I really didn’t have a lot of time. I did ice and elevate before bed last night. It was all worth it though. I felt normal outside, walking around, and running up and down my deck steps! :rotfl: It was great!
Today, my knee feels ok. I did my exercises and stretches, and am currently icing and elevating. I am loving life!

P.S. My grandchildren, along with me, on my front porch!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Painful knee
    IMG_1129.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 43
Oh what a lovely photo to celebrate your day!!!!
Sometimes it really is worth it to join the ODIC for a few hours!!!!!
 
Happy belated birthday! Sorry I missed it. Looks like you had a great day!
 
Lovely family photo, Nay Nay! I'm glad you had a good time, but sorry you struggled afterward. Sounds like it was well worth it and you're on the mend, so all is good! Enjoy the week! :)
@Naynay
 
Well, today is my 64th birthday and I have to say at 16 weeks ( it will be 17 weeks on Tuesday) I think I have finally turned a real corner!! I have noticed since Friday I have not had any real pain in my knee. I still have tightness, but it is only
Oh no, I missed your birthday. Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day. Glad to hear you turned a corner with your knee.
 
Good morning to all my fellow BoneSmart peeps!
I know I haven't posted since the beginning of the month, but I have been reading many of my fellow TKR journeys. I find reading other fellow TKR journeys to be extremely helpful and keeps me working at being positive. :) :-) (:
Today, is my 5 month anniversary in this year long journey. I thought I would update my thread on my progress.
Positives:
- Go up and down the stairs comfortably.
- Sleeping is improving. I can sleep on both sides and tossing & turning is easier. :heehee:
- Driving is great, with no problems, along with riding in a car for hours without much stiffness.
- Transitioned from a recumbent bike to a regular bike, preparing myself for my riding season. (At this point, I have only ridden about 2 1/2 miles. My goal by summer is to be able to ride at least 10 miles)
- Can do all of my ADL's with no problems.
- Measuring my ROM at home I seem to be 120 in flex and my extension is near zero - after stretching. ( My husband or I measure myself)
- Still trying to kneel on the floor (on a rug) to do a yoga pose. My OS said this would help with my flex. I have not seen much of an improvement in this. I kneel very gingerly because it feels so weird - but no real pain.
- Started to be consistent in going to the gym to get back in shape - both upper body & my legs.
- Best of all: I am walking normally. According to my husband no one would know which knee was replaced.:dancy:
Negatives:
- Still have the tight band feeling EVERY single day! Most days it is not painful, just annoying.
This tightness, especially behind my knee, prevents me from getting more flex out of the knee.

So, at 5 months out, I am not at the point where I am loving my new knee. (I can't wait for that day to come):prayer: However, I don't hate my new knee, which is a great improvement. :yay:I know this is a year long journey, so I am trying to be positive. I am looking forward to the day, if it comes at all, when both knees bend & look the same. My husband, who is very positive about my recovery, keeps telling me; "why do you care if both knees bend the same! As long as you can do everything you want to do!" I know he is right about that. It is nice having a positive force at home to bring me back to reality of what is truly important.:angel:

I see my OS for my 6 month visit. I wonder how that will go since he wanted me at 130 - 135 flex. :oyvey:
Thank you all dear friends. I really love this forum and the valuable information that I receive from all of you.
Renee
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom