Revision TKR Painful, failed PKR = TKR Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
A legal postscript a year-and-a-quarter after my Dec 29, 2015, "final" posting. Please re-title my thread "Painful, failed PKR = TKR Revision & Legal Pursuit (final)"

A total of 5 appropriate legal firms were contacted sequentially online over a 6-month period regarding my immediately failed Rpkr2 and required revision to Rtkr. Each took lengthy periods of time to decline representing me with no explanation, no comment about the validity of my complaint, and no other alternative suggestion. But they DID each remind me of the 2-year statute of limitations for filing. ​

Finally, the last firm admitted to me that there was not enough $ upside with my limited direct losses (and eventual recovery) because trying such a case would cost several hundreds of thousands dollars with expert witnesses, etc. As an insured retiree, my direct losses (skyrocketing premiums, deductibles, travel, etc.) were under $20,000, and the Colorado cap on "pain and suffering" is $300,000 for the worst sort of outcome. Small claims court procedures ($7500 max return possible) might also have required “expert witnesses.”


Thus, in Jan 2016 I filed a formal complaint online with the State Medical Board including my succinct but detailed packet with a one-page text summary and 6 other documentation attachments (photos, x-rays, reports, etc.). Results can range from nothing done to revocation of medical license. No $ damage awards are possible. The Board never requested more info, and most such complaints are resolved within 6 months. The complainant does not attend any of the proceedings or learn about what occurred therein. I checked in as to “status” of the complaint every 3 months, and finally at 9 months I received notice that they had “dismissed” the complaint. The exact verbiage was as follows: “The decision to dismiss this case should not be construed as an endorsement of conduct. However, the Panel did not find that her action rose to a level of a violation of Colorado law that warranted formal disciplinary action against her license.”


It would seem that only death or egregious maiming are worth pursuing in terms of medical malpractice culpability. Per the Board's filing information, it IS possible that ortho #4 received a private “letter of concern” (the public and I would have no permission to view or know about it). Approximately midway through this complaint process, I knew that she no longer was with the same orthopedist group, and some people have told me that just the filing of such a complaint somehow follows the doctor -- independent of the complaint’s outcome. I currently don't know where she is or what she is doing. My opinion is that if she wants to work in the medical field, it would be best that she work or experiment only with cadavers.

Both the 3-yr-old Lpkr and the 2-yr-old Rtkr are doing OK and feel the same in terms of slight weird nerve sensations (foreign feelings), which might last forever but aren't really bothersome. I did a little downhill skiing this winter for the first time in 20 years, including some crashes, without apparent new damage to the knees or their prosthetics. Even ladders are OK now. Any kneeling on a hard surface must be very brief.
 
Both the 3-yr-old Lpkr and the 2-yr-old Rtkr are doing OK and feel the same in terms of slight weird nerve sensations (foreign feelings), which might last forever but aren't really bothersome. I did a little downhill skiing this winter for the first time in 20 years, including some crashes, without apparent new damage to the knees or their prosthetics. Even ladders are OK now. Any kneeling on a hard surface must be very brief.
I'm really glad to hear that your knees are both doing well now.

I believe that medical malpractice is incredibly difficult to prove and often it is only the lawyers who benefit financially.
 
TEN YEARS AFTER



Yes, that was an English band of the 60s/70s, but it's also the near-anniversary (10th) of my joining the forum back in Sept 2014. My successful LPKR of April 2014 is still in place at an age of ~10.5 years. The RTKR of March 2015 (revision of immediately failed RPKR of June 2014) also is doing well at age 9.5 years. I have fallen on them a few times over the years ("tripping" while traversing dirt, concrete, or granite rock, sometimes during snow removal) -- generally early on, of course while actively thinking "don't fall or trip here." Although I wondered a time or two if I had thusly damaged the parts or their anchoring (especially the medial LPKR), I think there was only temporary nerve irritation/damage from thin skin banging on metal. I guess even that one successful PKR has stayed put -- at least enough that I don't notice an issue (yet!). I'm always aware that the knees are not those with which I was born, but any weird feelings aren't painful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom