THR Pain returned after several months - caused by my back pain??

Hip-hip-hooray! and GrannyC thanks for letting me know how the PT was effecting you. I spoke with the therapist today who agreed that I should have more than just one day in between sessions. I am anxious to see if I am somewhat better come Monday since I will gave had the weekend off. Did they have you use weights during exercises? I have not started that and am rather wary about doing it for fear of causing myself harm. I was told that this is generally done after week 8 and I am at week 9 1/2.

Have a great weekend. Seems like it is finally getting warmer on the east coast. I plan to spend some time on my deck getting some sun.
 
I didn't go to PT, just did the basic exercises at home, walked, rode my bike, and slowly added yoga. When I tried using the weights at the gym, my hips burned. I wasn't able to use them for about a year and a half. It didn't hurt at the time, but it would bother me a day or two after the workout.

If you are wary, I wouldn't do it. There's plenty of time. Glad to hear you are getting some sun. Hope you are feeling better.
 
Highland, sorry you are having troubles. Trust me when I say it's a day to day process. That's why I tell people that I don't get better by the day, but I usually get better by the week...and you will too.

My recovery has been good (returned to work 18 and 25 days respectively after my surgeries) and bad (thigh pain so intense that I slept in a recliner for almost three months). I've got lots of other examples, including just this week where my left hips feels so good that I have not used my cane at all this weekend, while at the same time I am fighting an infection that apparently got into my right incision. Good and bad, many times on the same day.

Keep your head up, Highland, it will get better. I respect your decision on your medication, but I would have never made it without the percocet. It's been awhile since I've had to have to take one, but I am very thankful that I had them when I did. As for PT, just don't do it. Unless the are doing pressure massage on your thighs and IT Bands, it's just not worth it.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
 
I think there is a misconception that PT will help - but remember we're not training for a marathon. The idea is to get our mobility back, not enter the Olympics. I honestly did nothing - just gentle stretches and gradually increased walking. I took full note of the BS message and I've had an excellent recovery. It really is early days yet. Be careful and kind to your new hip and it will reward you in spades.
 
Thanks all. Jaycey I appreciate the confirmation that I shouldn't do the weights. That was my gut feeling but apparently the surgeon wants it done. (I'm thinking maybe HE should do it)

The therapist has been doing some deep massage and on Friday only had me doing exercises lying down. I go back tomorrow and will make it clear that I will deal with the doctor when I see him in 2 weeks.

It is reassuring to know that so many of you did not do the PT and are doing OK anyway. I think we are all in a weakened state emotionally as well as physically after a major surgery. I have always been known to be strong willed as well as strong physically and on a general basis can't be bullied. This is new and uncharted territory for me.

Again thanks for the info and support. You are all the best!
 
I have stopped PT at least for now. MY OS had said I didn't need PT to heal and I am gradually getting both the strength and range of motion back in my operated leg. I have so much confidence in all the administrators here on BoneSmart and they tell us we don't need the PT. In reading the forum I can see that most of those that try to do too much PT or too many activities are the ones with the extra pains and swelling. I preferred the slow and steady way and I really have had no issues and all my swelling was gone after about ten days I think.

I think it is easy to think we need to "work on" recovering but in actuality, our bodies can do very well on their own if only we would let them.
 
I decided to opt out of pt after a few sessions, figured I could go later on for gait training.

Recall Josephine made a compelling statement that your leg muscles and soft tissues are not weak or lazy but are injured. The pain Rx is ice and rest, not more workouts. I used to think you had to push through the pain whereas pain is an indicator to stop. The hips are def in charge of recovery which is new territory as the mind has to follow the body which knows exactly what it's doing :yes:
 
apparently the surgeon wants it done. (I'm thinking maybe HE should do it)
Good approach - they are just not needed at all.
The therapist has been doing some deep massage and on Friday only had me doing exercises lying down.
Deep massage is very good at this stage. Muscles that have not been used may tighten and spasm. Deep massage really does work.

Keep listening to that hip. It will shout load and clear if you are taking things too far.
 
Thanks Jaycey, I really appreciate all the good advice!
 
Just wanted to check in since today is 12 weeks exactly since my surgery. I don't know if this is just coincident or if it is a milestone but the last few days have been great. My PT ended last Wednesday and no, I never let him do the weights. He offered to reauthorize me for more but since a) he was leaving and I trusted him, and b) I am to see the surgeon this week to see how things are, I opted not to do more at this time. I am doing three exercises he recommended, every other day, also per his recommendation.

I am anxious to see the x-rays on Thursday but at least for now I really feel that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. While I know I have to continue to be careful and follow treatment at least the pain is almost non-existent now.

So, to all of you out there who are not as far along, hang in there- it should get better soon.
 
Hi @Highlands ,
Just wondered what the 3 exercises are that your PT recommended? I have done nothing other than walking, swimming and gentle pool exercises and am fine, but also curious to hear about other approaches.
Thanks,
Diane
 
Good to read this set of messages. I'm nearing 12 weeks and feel mostly pretty good. I'm not doing any pt but was thinking of starting back at some exercises I used to do called Essentrics developed by a retired ballerina here in Canada - Miranda Esmonde-White. Very much against tightening muscles but stretching them and used by some of our hockey teams to prevent common injuries. You can find it on YouTube if you're interested. I must admit to a small set-back this week. After a week of cold windy rain I was happy to get back to walking on the beach. I walk barefoot as it really works all the muscles to do so on the soft sand plus I love it. I guess I did too much the first day back at it and I've had some troubled nights since. I am therefore really taking it slow as we leave on our driving trip on Monday and I do not want to be sore for that! I'm still walking but just not so far. When I get to Halifax in a few weeks I'm going to see a massage therapist I know plus my acupuncturist for a tune up!
 
Hi Jan,
Sorry to hear you are feeling sore. Just to make you feel better about the reduced walking, my surgeon said elegant form was much more important than distance walked. Little and often was his advice. More importantly, you want to be as pain-free as possible for that major road trip!
Diane x
 
Was wondering when you are allowed to sleep on the operated side??? Posterior...
 
Thanks Diane - yes elegance is the key! I'm pretty good right now. I think my other goof was that I was sitting too long trying to get dolls done before my trip. Today is another cold rainy day but I'll wear my fitbit so I'll be reminded to get up and move!
 
@Highlands I think I can be the poster child for being impatient and overdoing it! (She says as she types with her right hand less than two weeks after a right thumb trapezium arthroplasty and not wearing her brace.....)

I HAVE to do some kind of exercise or I will go nuts so I might as well do PT. I started doing Aquatic PT and liked it so much that in between I went to the pool and did it myself plus other exercises. Had to take a break with this hand because I'm wearing a plaster splint and just didn't want to worry about that but as soon as the stitches are out and I have a canvas/Velcro splint, I'll be back there. The exercises were getting easy so I was increasing the reps but in my last Aquatic PT session, I asked to try weights ( 2 1/2 lbs per foot). Wasn't TOO hard and my PT okayed it so I bought ankle/wrist belts with 6 individual weights that I'll be using again in the pool -- hopefully next week.

The other thing I like about the pool is that I have a decided limp -- more of a lurch actually -- and when doing gait training (walking) in the pool, that doesn't stress my back. I have severe chronic low back pain and am paranoid about causing a flare up so I really like that.

So anyway, if you are an active person like me and want to do something, I would suggest going to a pool. You can probably do almost all your PT exercises in the pool or find others that don't hurt. The healing power of water is a real thing! :-)
 
Hello. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with pain returning after about 6 months being pain free.

I had a right THR anterior approach in April 2017 and after about the 3 month mark all was fine and I almost forgot about the surgery. In the past week I have had moderate to severe pain in the lower back above the butt - I am guessing it's sacroiliac joint pain as I have had problems with spine pain from arthritis off and on in the past.

I have been trying to take it easy so that it heal and stops hurting. Since the back pain began (4 or 5 days ago, I now have pain again in the leg/outer thigh IT band area and the hip groin area. It is very similar to the pain I had in the groin BEFORE surgery, and the pain in the IT band AFTER my surgery. At first I thought it was coincidental but I am now wondering/hoping, that it is related to the SI joint and the resultant difficulty standing straight and walking. If so I hope it and will go away once that clears up.

If anyone has had this experience I would be very appreciative of any thoughts, info, etc you might have in this regard . Since I recently moved from NJ to FL I can't see my surgeon. If this does not respond to rest, ice, and ibuprofen I may have to try and find an orth here in my new area. However I have no idea how long it might take to find someone and get an appointment

Thanks!
 
Hi @Highlands
I'm sorry you're struggling and in pain. Sadly I don't have any answers for you but our Nurse Director @Josephine
may be able to help you. I've just tagged her for you so please check back. She is in the U.K. and may post
some questions for you tomorrow as well as a diagram for you to pinpoint your area of pain. I hope you find some relief in the interim with rest, ice and OTC pain reliever you mentioned above.
Wishing you a peaceful evening!

This thread will be merged with your original recovery thread.
 
Last edited:
@Highlands
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Back
Top Bottom