THR Pain returned after several months - caused by my back pain??

I continued to ice whenever I felt like I needed it. My PT recommended it especially after our sessions. The ice is a natural pain reliever as well as helping with swelling. I think I used it until 5-6 weeks out. Sounds like you are making good progress, especially for not taking any pain meds. I still take Tramadol here and there if I've had a particularly busy day. I am 9 weeks out today. I went back to the gym yesterday and feel great! You'll notice small improvements each day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
 
Great- thanks so much. I want to do what's right and get this done! Actually just iced my leg again before heading to bed (hopefully) to sleep for a change. I think you are absoultely right about "small improvements" it's just hard to notice sometimes. This evening I left my cane in the kitchen when I headed for the bathroom and didn't even miss it. I'll take any little bit of positive stuff I can get! Good Luck with your continued recovery.
 
I came to write this very same comments. I am weary from the discomfort. It is six weeks and four days for me. I am still using my cane because of : mid-thigh pain that radiates around my knee, groin pain, and a pain deep in my right buttock when I walk. I occasionally have small shocks, but I know that from the healing nerves. I take Tylenol .325 x 2 every four hours and Tylenol with Codeine at night. If I lie down and don't move I have no pain. I am just afraid that I should be more pain free by now, but it seems like some of you aren't either. I am concerned that my knee pain might become permanent as I know I am walking incorrectly. I go to out patient therapy two times a week and am doing very well.

I lie when people ask me how I'm doing because I think they are tired of me telling the truth. I had my left hip done seven years ago, but don't really remember the recovery timeframe. I do remember that at one point I was pain-free, but then developed thigh pain and the doctor put me back on a cane for six weeks or so. He called it end of stem pain that some people get in recovery. I'm wondering if this is what my thigh pain is caused by again. I see him in mid-May. I am just wondering if I should go and see him before then. I think he is going to tell me to just be patient that it is all part of the recovery process.

It's all making me crabby.
 
I think it makes us all crabby. Waiting and dealing with pain and discomfort does not make one happy. I also think that since you don't remember the recovery time frame from your hip surgery 7 years ago that it probably means once you get thru this period and heal you will also forget this and be fine. I have heard that people don't remember pain once it's gone. As they say no one would ever have a second child if they remembered the pain from the first one. Try to rest ice and elevate and give yourself all the time it takes. Hopefully next week will be better than this one
 
The "crabby" feeling is worse when pain isn't properly managed. So, if you cannot or don't want to take pain medication that would help with pain levels, then you'll just need to be prepared to not feel your best for a while. If you review the recovery information Jo left earlier in this thread, you can see that it is months before you really begin to turn the corner....at least for most people.

I haven't seen anything in anyone's posts in this thread that indicate anything out of the normal discomfort that can come with this major surgery. So, it really is a matter of patience and pain management while you're healing. You are all still in the healing process for sure!
 
Thank you Highlands and Jamie for the encouraging words and hope. I try and stay positive, but sometimes just need to say my "truth" out loud!

I've just been taking Tylenol 650 mgs. every four hours 3x a day and then 600 mg Tylenol w. codeine at bed time,

I'm going to add the Ibuprophen 3x a day, 800 mgs. dose, and see if that helps.

Ciao
 
Well, what a difference changing my medicine has made. I am pain free! A very occasional twinge will remind me, but it's nothing. No groin pain, no thigh pain, almost no limping, barely have to use my cane! Crossing my fingers that it stays this way...

My gratitude for the advice. Wishing all a restful, pain free night.
 
@Itzdor .... be sure to put this update information in your own recovery thread as well so we have this positive improvement documented.
 
So, I am now 8 weeks post op today. I had been doing pretty well, I thought, but because of groin pain and some IT band issues around the knee, the surgeon told me to go for physical therapy {PT}. He said it was probably a gait issue and this would help with it. I saw the PT for an eval 6 days ago. He said I was walking well and was pretty strong. He scheduled me for the first PT session the following day. I went, did the exercises he told me to do for 45 minutes and he gave me a sheet with 5 exercises to do every day - 30 reps each- and come back in a week- because of the Memorial Day Holiday they didn't have any time sooner. They also scheduled me beginning next week 3 x weekly.
Well- Thursday after the session I felt OK. Friday I got up, took a shower, and did all the exercises. Still feeling OK, I went out and went to a plant nursery and was on my feet, except for one short break sitting, for about 40 minutes.
That night I had more pain than usual. The following day, last Saturday, I was a mess. I had more pain in my groin and thigh, as well as pain in my calves- I'm sure that's from the heel raise- standing on your toes, and aches and pains in other places. I was hobbling around and realized that my leg was swollen. It had not swollen in 4 weeks now.

Since then, the past 4 days, I have been taking it very easy and resting as much as possible. The swelling is gone but the pain, while less intense, has not totally gone away. I am not sure if I did too much, if the exercise, was too much at this point, or if it was a combination of both. I am just hoping I haven't made things worse.

I am scheduled to return to PT on Thursday and plan to ask the therapist what he thinks about all this. I want to do everything I can to improve, but I do NOT want to do anything to make things worse. I will no longer do the marching exercise or the leg swing (hip side kick) as Josephine stated in her article that these are bad- I also see the clamshell with the band is not good, which he had me do last week at the first PT session.

Should I just stop PT- is it too soon for me to be doing these? Maybe my deep tissue healing is not as good I as I think at this point?
Any input, as usual, would be appreciated. Thank goodness we all found this wonderful organization.
Highlands
 
Can I suggest something. I'm no expert though.
Do no PT at all for a few days and take something for the pain/swelling. If your discomfort goes away then it must be the PT.
It would appear to me that your hip is getting loads of exercise in your daily life.
Keep well.
Joe.....
 
I'm three days behind you and my experience is similar. I had a couple of PTs give me exercises in the hospital but it was 4 weeks before I had an appointment at the hospital for physio. I had stopped doing all but the toe pointing (to prevent clotting) because of reading I'd done on this site. After my appointment I did the exercises. Yikes! Everytime I go beyond my comfort whether it is walking too much or doing pt exercises or pushing the 90° rule (now off but I let pain guide me) it is two days back in bed. I had another appointment set for yesterday. I called and cancelled and will not rebook.

Sleep is still an issue for me but last night with a few judicious changes (no tablet in bed) and a recognition that I simply must practice patience with my recovery I feel optimistic on that front too!

Good luck and more importantly good pluck!
 
I can't tell you to stop PT but if it were me, I would not go back. You really don't need all that (including the home exercise). Walking and daily living will give you all the activity you need and let that soft tissue settle.
 
Thanks Irish Joe, Iabanan and Jaycey. I hate to feel like I am quitting but I think you are all probably correct. The problem is not me it's the PT. I went yesterday and all went well. However by 11 pm last night my leg was bothering me and was a bit swollen - back to ice/rest/elevate. It's not great this a.m. but I will take it easy and I think that I should just let nature take it's course without all these exercises.
This is all tougher than expected - but then I was always pretty strong and I guess I have to be now too- even if that means just taking it easy and waiting for time to do it's thing.
 
You are not giving up. You are just taking a different direction. Many of us on this site made the same choice. And in most cases, we had successful recoveries. The rest, ice and elevate method works very well. Start short walks as walking is the best exercise for a healing hip. But keep the walks short and increase very gradually. Patience is prescribed in large doses.
 
It's the hardest thing I think...not wanting to "work" on our recovery... Be actively doing something to make things better and hurry up. Giving your body the support it needs to fix itself at this point means more passive activities and it sux for me too. Jaycey is very wise and patience is something to "work" on. Loads of best wishes!!!!
 
I had my hips replaced almost two years ago, and I still have pain if I add new exercises. I think it will always be that way. I don't do the things that cause aggravation, but I am still learning. Most of the time I don't even feel my hips. I can do all of the things that I hoped I would get back to doing.

It's good that you are taking things slowly and listening to your body. There's plenty of time. It helps to work very gradually and conservatively. Household tasks are excellent PT.

You asked about threads with a positive recovery. Mine was excellent and it might be what you want to hear. Also, Hipstergirl had a great thread and recovery. The current posts are much different than they were a couple of years ago. It's unusual for people to have these problems, I think. My friends who had their hips done have all recovered beautifully. (20 dancer friends!)

But, it doesn't mean that there isn't any pain. In my case, taking the meds, resting, icing, and waiting are what worked. If I hadn't taken the meds, I would have had intense pain and emotional distress. I never even used to take aspirin, but in this case, I just did it. I still cried, but most of that was over not being able to dance anymore as a career.
 
Thanks for this response @Hip Hip Hooray! I'm a relative newby but feel there are lots of positive threads. Yesterday I read @Jaycey threads on two replacements - her earlier one when she was doing PT and her second one. It was so confirming for me.
Hang in @Highlands and listen to your wisdom-body!
 
Thanks all. My doctor called me back and told me I should continue PT but only do exercises there,not on my own at home. So I guess I have to give it a try. The therapist told me not to do anything that hurts. HipHipHooray I am sorry you cannot dance professionally anymore but I'm sure you have wonderful memories to enjoy.

You are all correct about being patient. I remember an old saying about patience being a virtue but it was never one of mine Still I am trying.

Thanks again for the support. It makes all the difference in the world
 
Thanks Highlands. I hope you are doing better. Patience really does make all the difference after this surgery. It is so worth it. At a certain point, the time does start to fly.

It might be helpful to see if you feel better after the days when you aren't doing the PT. I always got a delayed reaction from exercising. I still do.

Oh, and thirty reps sounds like a lot to me. I wonder if you just did 10 if you would feel okay? You can always add more later, but if you do too much, you really pay the price. It happened to most of us. It's a delicate balance.
 
30 reps do anything starting out seems like a lot. When I started PT, the most they gave me of any thing was two sets of ten. With that I wasmto do ten, rest and then do ten more. One I couldn't do so they said just do what you can. You might ask the PT about doing less reps to start until you stop hurting. It can't hurt to ask them.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom