Guest viewing is limited

THR Pain flare 3 years after THR

Do you do any stretching or Yoga? I have stiffness and slight pain when I get out of bed. When I do the stretches and a few Yoga positions it loosens up and never bothers me again during the day.
 
I stopped the Aleve, as it was not working and simply made me sleepy. Ice has been working. Taking Zantac with Advil
Aleve never makes a person sleepy! It's just an NSAID. It would be the Zantac that made you sleepy!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. Posterior

2. Pain 3/10,sore,aching, sometimes throbbing

3. No prescription meds, currently alternating about once per 12 hrs Tylenol 1000mg, Aleve (1 tab) or Ibuprofen 800 mg.

4. Icing at bedtime 20 minutes on, sometimes afternoon the same

5. Elevating in bed and half the day

6. Activity, sedentary with just a 30-minute walk once a day, very careful going up stairs. Pull left leg into car with my hands when getting in to drive

7. No exercise or PT currently




Thanks Eman85, I enjoy a stretch upon rising in the morning, but I am afraid to try yoga. Many have recommended it, so definitely considering that now.
 
@JennyHipcakes - you might Google psoas impingement after hip replacement. They refer to the "car sign" (having to use your hands to help get your leg in or out of car as one of the key indicators. I just had surgery to deal with this. Pain was usually worst at night as the tendon rubbed against implant during the day but inflammation would settle some by morning. Not saying that's what it is, but it would be worth checking to see if other symptoms fit.
 
Trust me, I'm not doing any crazy Yoga. My daughter is a Yoga instructor for mainly seniors, she shows me the easy moves. Many of her class attendees have had joint replacements. I had to learn that stretching doesn't mean going until it hurts. Just gentle moves and proper breathing makes it feel good.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom