THR Pain flare 3 years after THR

So glad you made it thru, my BTHR is one week from today, wishes to you for a speedy recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JennyHipcakes it sounds like you are overcoming some small hurdles and it will get enter. Especially once you have a bowel movement. It took til day 5 for me and it sounds like you are doing the right things. Drink lots of water too. You will do great. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Hi Jenny,
Hope all has gone smoothly and that you will soon start feeling better.
Thinking of you,
Diane
 
Hi Jenny you have been through a hard time and you made me laugh about the pillow between your legs I just didn't want to give mines up, I like you being cautious a very good idea take things slowly you will get there, Not leaving yourself much time until you return to work !!! You stand most of the time so this will put pressure on that hip be very careful and wish you all the best.
 
Well done Jenny you need to rest and take things easy lots of fluids and ice
 
Hey JennyHipcakes.
Well done with hip#2.
As you know yourself most everything going on now is post op related and will settle down.
Keep on top of the meds.
Ice, then ice some more.
Rest.
You have a matching pair now. Job done.
Joe.....
 
Welcome to the other side again! You know the drill - get that ice on that hip.

I'll leave your articles here for you to refer to. Welcome to the double hippie club!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this:

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
@JennyHipcakes very glad things are getting better for you... I am also waiting for the BM train... But since i didn't eat for two days, i think it's gonna be a while for me. The tramadol gives me headaches too, and scary dreams. I am going to see if i can get by on the nerve med and extra strength Tylenol.

Take care... Rest... And know there are lots of folks rooting for us!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
the doc told me he found "rice bodies" in my joint fluid. It is unusual in OA, but not altogether rare. He said it's more usual in RA. I do not have RA, to the best of my knowledge. I would love to lean more about this condition.
There are plenty of forums and websites concerning RA. Why don't you do a Google search?
 
Welcome @JennyHipcakes .

It took 5-days and a dose of Milk of Magnesia for me to get any action. One dose did it, then the stool softeners worked great. I had a slight fever for a couple of days, but that is normal just like opiate induced constipation. It gets better.

Welcome to the other side!
 
Hello, Friends, I am having a pain flare-up in my left hip. Recent problems with Advil causing heartburn, so I'm taking Aleve every 12 hrs., and it's not working.

Today's strategy is rest and ice. Feels like muscle or tendon pain, not like the crunching joint pain I had before my THR. Here's the rub: I sit for hours at work, so I don't believe it is coming from over exercising. Pulling the leg into the car hurts, just as it has for a long time.

I am embarrassed. Admitting to this pain, I fear others will think, "But you fixed that!" I also don't appear unhealthy, so I fear being accused of making this up.

Hips, don't fail me now! The left one is only 3 years young, and the right, which is not painful, is 18 months.
 
Wow, that must be so frustrating. I think it is all of our worst fear that something will go wrong with our new hips. :sad:

I have no advice as my hip replacement was in August 2018 and is recent, but I'm hopeful some of the other experts on here will have ideas for you!

I know in the past, prior to my hip going bad, when I sat too much I did get pain as well from not moving or exercising enough.....so maybe your pain has a simple explanation not even related to your new hips, but rather to inactivity or the need to stretch more? Here's hoping it's a simple fix for you. :)
 
Hi Jenny, I remember you! We each had our right hip replaced on the same day.
I'm sorry you're struggling with your first (Left) THR. Let's ask @Josephine the forum Nurse to weigh in and advise. I've tagged her for you so please check back in case she has questions.
Wishing you comfort and speedy relief.
@JennyHipcakes
 
Advil and Aleve are both hard on your stomach. Dr.'s will sometimes recommend Omeprazole or Formatadine to take with a NSAID to try and protect the stomach.
 
First, what runs through other people's minds is not important. Unless they have gone through this journey, there is not accurate frame of reference in addition its a very individual process. So don't give it one moment of worry! :bath:

I also had my right hip replaced in 2003. There were odd aches that appeared out of the blue for quite awhile. Weather related pain for several years too. Even when we feel pretty much recovered, there is still a lot going on in there. I wonder if the sitting position is part? Do you have a chance to get up and move intermittently? Is your positioning different somehow? I realized that I hurried through recovery. All I wanted was to ride my horses but neglected strengthening all the muscles completely. Just some thoughts. Perhaps one may ring a bell.

Keep taking good care of you and I'm sure the solution will present itself.
 
Hello @JennyHipcakes
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your two other recovery threads. Please don't start new recovery threads, even if you have a new question.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Recent problems with Advil causing heartburn, so I'm taking Aleve every 12 hrs., and it's not working.
Both Advil and Aleve are NSAIDs and if you have heartburn, you must NOT take them. So please stop taking them at once. You can take Tylenol 1,000mg up to 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals only.


I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Thank you, Celle. I will be more judicious about the site and not start new threads. I appreciate the reminder about how to do things the right was here.

Yes, Josephine, I am open to questions! I stopped the Aleve, as it was not working and simply made me sleepy. Ice has been working. Taking Zantac with Advil brought me some relief this morning, but I would rather not take Advil at all, knowing the long term effects, so advice well-taken there. I am changing my activity level from long spells of sitting to more frequent position changes. This pain is usually worse in the evening. Sleeping with a large pillow between my legs helps and I sleep well. I am guessing this could be related to my lower back and the psoas major, and bursitis.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom