TKR Pain 8 months post TKR

I am 8 weeks in recovery from a revision. Although like you, I really didn't want to go through everything all over again, I am glad I did. I'm not finding this recovery harder than the first time. I am actually doing much better this time around. I really hope you don't need a revision but if you do, don't worry about it being harder to recover. Of course, every person is different. I am one of the slow healers.

I'm so sorry you've been continuing to have disabling pain, and now this... it's actually a relief that your surgeon is taking your issue seriously, as some members here report being "gaslit," their experience minimized or denied.
I hope an accurate diagnosis is found and a treatment plan worked out quickly so you can start moving forward.

@Annk You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

I had my scan and will see my surgeon on Jan 3 for the results. While I am waiting I just have a question if anyone had chronic pain 8-9 months post op and it was nothing that required a revision. Thanks

Please let us know what you find out on Wednesday.

I just have a question if anyone had chronic pain 8-9 months post op
I did, and did not require a revision. It will be 7 years in March, and in all, my final outcome has not been great. But, even so, I did have a lot of improvement in my second year, and even a bit more in my third. I hope you will see the same.

I’ve had 3 second opinions over the years and my X-ray looks great, so none of the surgeons recommended anything. I’m doing ok with the knee I’ve got.

My third second opinion was almost a year ago, and I liked the way he worded it, he said, “Before I ask someone to undergo a revision, I have to be confident that it will help the issue.” My issue is nerve related, and elusive, and I appreciated that he wasn’t quick to just jump in a redo things, with no confidence that it would help me, and maybe even make things worse.

Best of luck to you on Wednesday, Ann! I hope your surgeon has some answers for you and a plan to resolve any issues discovered so you're able to move forward without the pain.
Please stay in touch. We'll be here for support if you need us.
Wishing you complete healing in the New Year!
@Annk

I saw my surgeon and the good news is the implant has not come loose and everything is solid internally with the knee. He said 2 things about my chronic pain. Some people develop a fibromyalgia. Also he just said could be the soft tissue. Well now what is what I asked. Sometimes it resolves in time but sometimes not. If my pre surgery knee was not so deformed I would not have had the surgery based on today’s results. He is hesitant to do the other knee as it may be the same outcome but suggests cortisone so I will try that. For my replacement I will try to keep active but not overdo things. I tried months of physiotherapy with no improvements so I will not do that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Basically the morning it is so stiff until I get moving. Then pain around out side the patella and pain going down stairs. I do my recumbent bike for 10 minutes a few stretches and heal slides. Also occasionally on the inside of the knee is painful Thanks for any advice. Yesterday was 9 months.

I was nowhere near 100% at 9 months, either. I remember this because this is when my daughter got married. I live in Delaware and she was in Ohio, so it was a 5 day trip and temperatures that week in early December were in the low 20’s! I struggled in general that whole week.

I will say that after a rough first year I did have a lot of improvement all through my second year. So, keep the faith, where you are now is not where you will end up. :console2:

I hear and understand your frustration and that the discussion with your OS wasn't very reassuring.

At 9 months it's not unusual to have swelling, some pain, and definitely stiffness in the morning!!!

Are you using acetaminophen, NSAIDs, topical meds (rx or OTC?), and continuing to ice and elevate? Some of us (raises hand) get lackadaisical about that with the passage of months.

As an FYI: Fibromyalgia is a generalized disorder with a very specific list of signs and symptoms that require evaluation by a skilled health care practitioner (internist, rheumatologist, or a family practice physician who has taken an interest in this complex disorder.

There are other more common causes of post op pain - like Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) that some of our members have been diagnosed with. You could do a forum search for CRPS if curious.

Thanks for your responses. I am still icing and elevating and taking Tylenol every 4-6 hours. I will look into that CRPS and try to be patient while I continue the journey

I am sorry you're struggling with pain after nine months. Thankfully all looks well with the implant. Hopefully given more time, the pain will ease and resolve on its own. It is not uncommon to still have pain and swelling at this point of recovery. My surgeon once mentioned many deal with swelling for a full year post op, usually easing over time.
He is hesitant to do the other knee as it may be the same outcome but suggests cortisone so I will try that.
Hopefully the injection brings you relief, but as far as a hesitancy in moving forward with your other knee, we often remind members that no two recoveries are the same, not even with the same person. So, I'd hate to think of you suffering needlessly if you don't have to.

In regard to CRPS, since you're looking into it, I will leave a quote from BoneSmarts Nurse Emeritus, Josephine, who retired a few years ago now. She had the following to say in regard to Fibromyalgia and CRPS -

"CRPS is by no means a proven condition any more than are things fibromyalgia or fatigue syndrome. They are a general collection of symptoms that have no proven connection but which doctors have applied the appellation for convenience. That's why there is no proven methodology of treatment. Here's my article on the subject -" Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS or RSD).

I thank you for updating and documenting your journey with us and hope you will continue to share progress so we're able to support you a long the way. Cheers to complete / perfect healing in 2024!

Thank you for your encouraging words. It is really helpful keeping my mind positive knowing that it is not uncommon at this stage to still have some pain. I will stay positive and active and hopefully 2024 will be a good year with improvements.

@Annk Remember that full recovery from a knee replacement can take a year or more. Please don’t try to pin a diagnosis on your pain at this early stage. You indicated that you had some severe knee deformity prior to having the joint replaced. That can also add time to your soft tissue recovery. During surgery your knee is suddenly returned to a normal position and alignment after years of your body making accommodations to the deformity. It can take a lot of time for those muscles, tendons, and ligaments to realign with the new knee. Patience is definitely needed. Be sure you are moving your knee on a regular basis and doing some bends and stretching exercises that provide a little challenge until you are at a normal range of motion. Quad strength is important too, so your bike riding and maybe some squats might be helpful too. Just don’t do any exercises that result in significant pain or swelling. That would be counter productive.

Last edited:
@Annk I thought of one other thing….do you know whether or not your surgeon placed a patellar button with your knee replacement? If not, that may be something to discuss with him. If he didn’t place the button on the underneath side of your patella and you had or developed arthritis there after the replacement, it could cause some of the pain you’re experiencing.

Thank you for your words of wisdom I sure appreciate that and it gives me encouragement to be patient. Regarding the button I am not sure I will have to ask him next visit. I know he did not replace the knee cap.
Your right about the pre surgery condition of the knee that could certainly account for the long recovery.

Actually knee caps are never ”replaced” when you get a new joint. The patella (kneecap) is resurfaced and a plastic patellar button is attached. Sometimes surgeons will use the term “patella replaced” when they really mean this procedure. I don’t know why they do that because it is not accurate. But if your surgeon is telling you he didn’t “replace the kneecap,” then it probably means he didn’t do a button. If your pain is centered around the kneecap, talk to him about the possibility that it can be the source of your pain and you may need the patella resurfaced.

Thank you for your words of wisdom I sure appreciate that and it gives me encouragement to be patient.
Patience is very hard, especially at 8 months! As I well know. By this point we are so tired of recovery! But, as I said before, many things do resolve by themselves through the healing process over time. :flwrysmile:

Thank you for this information I will certainly discuss with my surgeon next visit.
I wonder if resurfacing is a difficult surgery and how long recovery time is.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member