TKR Pain 8 months post TKR

Thank you so much for your encouraging words

@Annk I had a thought that might be helpful for you. Early in my recovery, I felt pretty frustrated with my progress, but something that helped me gain perspective was documenting my "achievements."

Once a week or so, I would make a note of all the things -- even the little ones -- that I was able to do since my surgery that I couldn't do before. I also keep a list of the things I was looking forward to being able to do in the future.

Over the weeks and months, as items moved from one list to the other, I saw real progress and it helped me stay positive.

Why not give it a try?

Thanks I love that idea. My family keeps telling me the same thing by reminding me how far I have come but I don’t see it. I will start to journal and it will be helpful when I have to get my other knee done I can remember the positive things instead of just the negative ones

but something that helped me gain perspective was documenting my "achievements."
This is really helpful advice. I started using it a few months after my surgery but wish I had done it sooner. Otherwise you forget when you started to be able to do things again ( like stairs normally or getting in/out of the bath)

I will start to journal
Feel free to do it right here in your thread. (That's what I did.). Not only will you be creating a record to remind you for knee #2, but you will be helping others who follow you into this surgery.

:flwrysmile:

Thanks
This has been a very difficult journey 8 weeks out more painful than what I anticipated. I just hope things start to turn around soon so I can enjoy some of the summer.
The biggest challenge has been the inner/outer knee pain and always thinking something is wrong. I can’t walk as long as I would like to before pain starts to get too uncomfortable. But my PT and OS nurse keeps telling me this pain is normal. Also the fatigue is challenging as I do a small task and have to lay down for a rest. Today started having pain at my incision site. I read you need to massage it but haven’t started that yet but will. I know many have had this type of pain so reading others stories is a comfort and encouragement
Thanks to you all

Also the fatigue is challenging as I do a small task and have to lay down for a rest. Today started having pain at my incision site. I read you need to massage it but haven’t started that yet but will.
For at least 3-4 months I took naps during the day, and that's OK. Sleeping is actually quite good for your recovery, so when you are tired, nap as much as you can! While you are sleeping your body can concentrate more on the knee's healing.

There is no need to massage your knee, so don't worry about not doing it. Most of us don't do it. I sure didn't.

Hi everyone
Today I am 3 months post op TKR but not doing great. Still having a lot of pain and doing OTC pain meds every 4 hours to stay on top of the pain. I have about 110 ROM and walk about 10-20 minutes per day. Also do my recumbent bike 10 minutes a day.
I have a few exercises I do for stretching and strengthening but I don’t think I am over doing it.
My Physio said maybe the IT bands are causing the outer knee pain. Today on my walk I had a sharp pain across the top of the knee which shortened my walk.
I return to my office job tomorrow so not sure what to expect. After being home icing and elevating for 3 months it will be a challenge sitting all day. I am reducing my work day by 1 hour as that is all allowed and will bring ice packs to work.
I am very discouraged by the pain. I know it is a year-long journey but thought b 3 months things would turn around. I hope I can postpone my other knee until I am retired.
Thanks for listening to my thoughts.

@Annk This is a frustratingly long recovery. For me, it wasn't until about the four-month mark before I could say "I am mostly pain free for the first time in a decade." Getting to that point isn't easy. It helped me to think about my pain level with the long view: yes, my knee still hurt, but it was a lot less than at 6 weeks or 3 weeks -- or even prior to surgery.

Good luck with the return to work. Try to elevate your leg whenever you can and last us know how it goes.

:console2:

Thanks for your encouragement.
Yes it’s true things are better than 1-2 months. Just frustrating not being able to do as much as I would like to do and have to keep taking pain meds. Still feeling fatigued after small activity.

Work was okay I just get up frequently and walk a bit plus I keep ice packs in the freezer so that helps when the pain ramps up. I do under my desk exercises too.

It sounds like you are coming along normally. You are still in a healing mode, so feeling tired after a little exertion. As time goes on you will regain your energy. It just takes a while.

Hello Ann,
I am sorry you’re still hurting on your three month anniversary.
It will get better. :console2:

You’re not alone in feeling easily fatigued.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.
Best wishes on your return to work!
@Annk

Thank you for your encouragement.
The work schedule has been hard getting up early but I try to allow extra time to allow to ease into my morning before heading out to work.

Hi everyone
4 months post TKR but unfortunately still having pain. Still taking OTC pain medication every 4 hours. Pain is around the edge of the patella and when I walk. Still getting stabbing pain around edge of knee at rest occasionally. Stiffness and numbness I can accept but the pain is what is getting me down. Sure did not expect to still be in so much pain at 4 months so very disappointed in the results so far. Still doing PT, walking, recumbent bike and stretching. ROM is 117. Only positive is I can walk further than before my TKR.
I know it can take a year or more for full recovery but I wish I could see some improvement. My OS and family doctor keep saying it just takes time.
Thanks for listening.

Still doing PT, walking, recumbent bike and stretching.
After doing all this for 4 months maybe your knee hasn’t had enough rest time. If it was me I’d stop all that and let your daily activities give your knee gentle mobility it needs to heal.

My OS and family doctor keep saying it just takes time.
They are very wise words. Try to cut down on all those activities and let your knee heal. You are only 1/3 of the way through this journey.

Thanks for your advice. I will try this and hopefully things will turn around. How long do you think I should continue icing and elevating as when I am home I do this quite a bit.

You should ice and elevate as long as you're having pain and/or swelling. Ice is a great inflammation reducer, the cause of your pain and elevation.

I am now almost 8 months post TKR and still having pain. I seen my surgeon the other day and he did X-rays. The first thing he said to me was about my chronic pain “something is not right “. He ordered a scan but that will take another month to get in. He said the X-ray was okay but sometimes the implant can loosen and it may not show if micro. If that is the case a revision is the only option. So I have suffered for 8 months for nothing only to have to do it again. I understand the revision is a lot harder to recover from. I am so discouraged and wish I never had the surgery. The pain I have is on both sides of the knee and going down stairs is difficult. I also have burning pain around the patella edge and occasional stabbing. I have 117 ROM with 0 extension. I was walking daily and doing 10 minutes on my recumbent bike but have stopped all these activities to rest the knee. I take Tylenol every 4-6 hours during the day and T4 at night. Sometimes that doesn’t help. Thanks for letting me share my experience.

I am now almost 8 months post TKR and still having pain. I seen my surgeon the other day and he did X-rays. The first thing he said to me was about my chronic pain “something is not right “. He ordered a scan but that will take another month to get in. He said the X-ray was okay but sometimes the implant can loosen and it may not show if micro. If that is the case a revision is the only option. So I have suffered for 8 months for nothing only to have to do it again. I understand the revision is a lot harder to recover from. I am so discouraged and wish I never had the surgery. The pain I have is on both sides of the knee and going down stairs is difficult. I also have burning pain around the patella edge and occasional stabbing. I have 117 ROM with 0 extension. I was walking daily and doing 10 minutes on my recumbent bike but have stopped all these activities to rest the knee. I take Tylenol every 4-6 hours during the day and T4 at night. Sometimes that doesn’t help. Thanks for letting me share my experience.
I’m 4 months out and had a great experience and perfect motion with no pain after 8 weeks. 4 weeks ago I over extended the range past the 130 degrees and have had pain ever since. I had an X-ray a week ago which showed everything was still in place but the pain has persisted. The PA told me to “take it easy “ for a couple of weeks and then get back with her. Might be that an MRI is in order‍.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom