Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

Is it muscle tightness? Where does it hurt?

It hurts mostly on the lateral side of my knee but the pain jumps around and can be on the lower medial part of the knee as well. But mostly at the top lateral part of the knee.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For my early 2015 injury, I had to do stairs with my upper body. That definitely saved my knees. Do you think a technique like that might help?
 
Tim, when I do the step down exercises using a 2-inch book focusing on not collapsing my hip, my quads hurt and sometimes they hurt going down steps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For my early 2015 injury, I had to do stairs with my upper body. That definitely saved my knees. Do you think a technique like that might help?
Hi Hawk, I think I remember you telling me about collapsing your hip. Is that right? My PT finally made me watch myself doing step-down exercises in the mirror, which was a big moment of enlightenment. Now I watch myself do step-down exercises everyday in the mirror and when doing the first step-down, I inevitably collapse the hip. I have to concentrate really hard on bending my knee and using my quad. Not sure what you mean by doing stairs with your upper body? I just can't even imagine what that means. :chinstroke:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Thesoutherncook Hi! How have you been? I miss chatting with you! I can go down peg legged without pain in my TKR knee. Down with the bad over and over but that is tough on my non-TKR arthritic knee. So the choice always is what knee am I going to punish. I am happy when there are no stairs or there are handicap ramps, which I have really come to appreciate. At this point I need a new home and gym and I need to talk the kids into putting in an elevator :rotfl:
 
Funny, I go down stairs with the TKR! We have narrow, steep steps down to the "terrace level" aka basement where my art studio is and I go down them very carefully. A friend fell down them and cracked 2 vertebrae and that scared the bejeebies out of ME!
 
I have to go downstairs every single morning to get for the second floor to the first floor. I just started making myself do one step normally and then each day added another one and finally all the tightness went away (for the most part). Some days it's still pretty stiff in the morning but the majority of the time I can now walk down the stairs normally. It's not pretty like Miss America walking down the stairs, but I can do it. We're still working on strength at physical therapy though.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Hawk, I think I remember you telling me about collapsing your hip. Is that right?
Yes, I called it a weird hip twist but your term is likely the right one. It took a while but I finally lost it. I was walking upstairs 1 foot per step fine for a quite a while before downstairs became feasible. Even now, sometimes, depending on what else I have done, the tightness in El Jefe when I go down the stairs returns but I stay focused on my form. With that said, I "ran" down the stairs the other day and was quite surprised. :yahoo:
 
@ironclm I think I have not done enough strength training. And I know what you mean about awkward. My first step down in particular is very tentative. Where is your discomfort? In your quads? My knee hurts mostly on the outside when I descend stairs. My PT us stymied I think.

@Thesoutherncook I was tested for alignment which checked out okay. But will ask for that again.

Thanks you two!
 
My knee hurts mostly on the outside when I descend stairs.
My pain when descending stairs was on the lateral side, too. Hang in there! Stay the course! Obey the knee! Have a good weekend!:yes:
 
I have to go downstairs every single morning to get for the second floor to the first floor. I just started making myself do one step normally and then each day added another one and finally all the tightness went away (for the most part).
I like this. maybe you're not up to adding a step every day, but maybe try one every day. @Wanttobebiking I hadn't realized the PT told you to avoid steps. If that's the case then certainly don't force yourself to them foot over foot when the pain is above 3.
 
Just a little something to encourage those of you having trouble with stairs:
I've been able to go up and down stairs one step at a time since about 3 months post-op, but I always felt clumsy going down stairs. I used to hit the step with the whole of my foot and it was ungainly.

Now, at almost 16 months since the surgery, I have suddenly improved, without even thinking about it. Now, I'm hitting the next step down with the balls of my feet. It's much smoother and I feel more confident. I even ran down the stairs last week. I didn't consciously do anything to improve the way I tackled stairs. It just happened.

I know that we tell people that full recovery takes a year or more, but I think that sometimes it takes even longer. At a year, I think I was about 95% recovered and able to do everything I wanted to.
Now, I feel as if I'm about 99%.
 
My downstairs knee pain is also lateral lower. Sometimes it almost feels like a pinching.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My downstairs knee pain is also lateral lower. Sometimes it almost feels like a pinching.
It is good to know that others have similar pain but I wish we didn't have any pain.

Also, I bought my ticket to Denver, but going for four days not five. I can always cancel if my OS thinks that's best. But that is highly doubtful. He is a pretty optimistic guy who believes in getting the most out of replaced joints.

That said, I pray I improve in the next 4 weeks so that I can do the three flights of stairs without as much pain as I have today. Fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom