Guest viewing is limited

TKR Over doing or not doing enough?

In fact, I was thinking the other day that had I known I would feel this much better at 6 and 7 months, it would have been a good thing to know back in the VERY early days of recovery when I was wondering if I would ever be able to do anything the right way again. Just think how we'll feel even 4 months from now. - And it will get here, probably faster than we think! :) :friends:
Seven months seems like forever some days and other days it seems like it went very quickly. I am always amazed when I look back on the early days. We all deserve lots of credit and pats on the back for what we have been through. Stay in touch.
 
Did I actually see that you went skiing? I'm hoping that maybe next year I can try to relearn it. It does seem like it has been forever since our surgery date. I'm glad you are doing well.
 
I am not sure what Graston is?? I guess patience is the key! I am now 13 weeks waiting for that 4 month mark for that is when I noticed a big change with my other knee. It is my stamina that I am struggling with. Though now that I am back teaching I am on feet most day and doing my bike on trainer only 40 minutes still and exercise at least 5 days a week. We live on farm so now weather is breaking so by my Fitbit yesterday I had done 18000 steps! My knee let me know. I get so frustrated for I want to be where I was! ( shouldn't feel exhausted doing a few hours of farm chores)!! But then I have to remember it is still early. Steps are still struggle too! I go up and down normal but still weak climbing. If swelling is bad struggle going down!
 
@violinone .... you're so right. Patience is everything in your recovery!!! You know, at 13 weeks, you're really fairly early in the process. Even 16 weeks isn't very far along. Although you noticed a huge difference in your other knee at 4 months, it may not be the case with this knee. Each recovery is unique. In fact, since you are having pain and swelling, I'd say you're not ready for "a few hours of farm chores," plus teaching on your feet all day, plus 40 minutes on the bike trainer, plus exercises. No wonder you are feeling like you have no stamina! Please slow down.

And....so we don't derail this thread.....if you'd like to talk about this more, please make a post in your recovery thread and we can talk more there. I'm concerned about you and your expectations of your new knee.
 
Today is 8 months post-op and all in all I am doing great. Since I posted last, I have been to Tucson, hiking in canyons. At one point I had to cross a stream on stepping stones. I made it without falling in, but it took awhile to get my courage up. I also did a mini-triathalon last Sunday at my gym. It was a timed tri with a 20-minute swim, a 30-minute bike and a 30-minute walk/run. Needless to say I did a walk.

Since I last posted I have also had 4 Graston treatments on my IT band, numerous tapings of my knee, and a couple of tramadols (broken in half because I don't like them). My knee is taped now and I am icing as my husband prepares our celebratory dinner (steak and shrimp). Despite all of this I still have persistent pain going down stairs. My OS said not to back off on activity unless the activity bothers it. Nothing hurts except stairs. Hopefully, next month, I will be writing that stairs no longer hurt. It is getting old.
 
Things sound mostly good. A mini-tri is a huge accomplishment, so congratulations! I hope that what you are experiencing is simply the last throes of this yearlong recovery (and nothing more).
 
Hopefully, next month, I will be writing that stairs no longer hurt. It is getting old.
Going up stairs happened first for me---going down stairs was about the last aspect of my BTKR to celebrate---and it seemed to take forever to do!

Hang in there---you will defeat the stairs and everything will be normal with you knee!
 
I hope that what you are experiencing is simply the last throes of this yearlong recovery (and nothing more).
Hi Hawk, I hope so too. Some days I feel very optimistic while on other days I am wanting a second opinion. The good news is that on some steps I now only feel a popping but no pain. And on short steps I feel neither.

Are you still having issues going down steps?
 
Hi. Just read that your knee is taped. Hope you don't mind me asking why and how? I've been having mine taped by my PT since the beginning of this year in order to relieve the pressure on the soft tissues at the bottom of my knee. Do you find it helps? Thanks.
 
@Raffs I don't mind your asking at all. When my PT tapes me, she tapes the entire length of my IT band. I bought some kinesio tape that I have been using to tape my IT band in between appointments, but I also use a strip of tape that runs parallel to the IT band tape and is placed just above the knee. My tape is not as good as what my PT office uses even though I bought it from a medical supply company. It doesn't stay on long enough to help. When my PT tapes me, it helps a lot, I think. I see her Monday and I am going to ask her for another taping. After reading your thread, I am also going to ask for ultrasound. I don't know why they don't suggest these things. My OS had to tell the PT to try something new like Graston and taping because what she was doing wasn't helping. Seems elementary to me. Don't get me wrong, I really have had good PTs. I think I am just frustrated.
 
@Wanttobebiking yes, I still have some difficulty going down stairs. I can do most stairs without holding on. I have mild pain that ends with each step or no pain at all. I am acutely aware of the depth and height of each step. For instance, the steps at work are very wide but short, so I have to be deliberate with my foot placement before I step off. The steps inside my home are shorter than the steps outside. I have no problem with the inside steps - go up and down frequently now, sometimes carrying things (that's a huge indication of my confidence). When I am descending the stairs outside my home, I have to focus because the steps are taller, cause more concern because they are hard stone and require more care because I have to bend deeper and balance longer. Like the full journey, every week I see a bit of progress and marvel!
 
I know exactly how you feel about optimism etc! I also have those feelings!! It appears many of us have IT band problems, mine is improving and is about 80% released now. My Physio is managing it by massage and some treadmill and exercise bike work. Haven't had it taped. I'm also still having problems going down stairs and some pain which l take anti-inflammatory tablets. Looking forward to that day when this recovery is finally over.
 
Totally get being frustrated! Your taping is very different from mine. It's very interesting hearing about all the different treatments for our various issues. I've had three PTs since the surgery and they've all said, done and tried different things! Let us know if you get to try ultrasound and if it helps.
 
@hawk2go Sorry to hear steps are still a challenge for you ascwell but seems I am in good company. Please keep me posted on your progress. It is good to hear you are making steady progress like me but boy it is slow!

@CATSMUM when was your surgery? I think my knee is worse in the morning and when I have been chained to my desk rather than moving around. Sound familiar? Or no?

@raff How is your taping different? Keep resting!
 
My taping 'lifts' my patella ever so slightly to keep it away from the inflamed tendon and tissues. My husband took a photo of it so he can retape it when needed. I'll see if I can post it on my thread.
 
@Wanttobebiking Just noticed that you posted on @Raffs thread that you were going to ask your Physio for ultrasound. Mine told me it couldn't be used as it would heat up the implant and cause problems. Interested to see what your Physio says.
My surgery was 4 June last year! Yep, I'm chained to a desk although l do try and get up to have a wander everyso often. I'm able to work from home a couple of days a week which helps. My knee is a little odd as it sometimes is a little easier when l get up but sometimes not!!
 
@Raffs and @catsum I had both ultrasound and Graston this morning. I also got three new exercises. My PT thinks my lateral hip weakness that @hawk2go and I apparently share is the main culprit in my stair pain, which seems better this week. Her assessment makes sense too. About a year before my TKR I saw an OS for hip pain, which he said was related to my knee alignment. I had been compensating for the misalignment for years. In fact one of the simple exercises she gave me today seemed nearly impossible on the TKR leg but easy on the other side.

Catsum, I read your note after my appointment so I was unable to ask her about the contraindications of ultrasound. When I asked if could have it and whether she thought it would help she responded positively, though.

Raffs, not sure if it helped or not yet but I should know that in a few days. Next PT appointment is in three weeks.
 
My PT thinks my lateral hip weakness that @hawk2go and I apparently share is the main culprit in my stair pain, which seems better this week.
How bad is your pain? What are the exercises? I'll see my OS's PA next week for my non surgical knee pain and will ask about the stairs.
 
That seems to make sense re the hip weakness causing the pain. I'm interested to hear if the ultrasound helps or not. Don't overdo the exercises!
 
@hawk2go Hi there. Sometimes there is no pain just a weird feeling. Other times it is a 4 max. She told me until I can correct the hip weakness I will have flare ups. I do a step down, which boggles my mind. I have to do it in front of the mirror and inevitably my weak hip wants to rise instead of drop. I have to really focus to do it right. The other exercises are a stretched out leg raise, a normal clam shell and a modified clamshell in which I raise my knees and raise one leg while keeping my knees together.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom