THR Outpatient Replacement

BellaMac

Country
United States United States
64 - Having hip replacement on 4/16, pretty healthy w/mild COPD and overweight. Surgeon decided I will be doing this as an outpatient, even though I voiced concern my husband is 76, has a prosthesis and unsteady himself = won't be a ton of help and I don't want to be sent home so quickly. Any comments are appreciated.

Hello @BellaMac - and :welome:

If it's planned for you to have your surgery as an outpatient, you won't be sent home until you can get out of bed and back in again, walk to the bathroom and back, and negotiate stairs.

If you can't manage those things on the day of your surgery, I believe you can stay overnight.

You will need to arrange someone to drive you to and from the place where you're having surgery, and for further appointments.

Stock up your pantry with non-perishable items, and make and freeze some dinners that can be easily re-heated.

Set up an area where you'll spend most of your time - preferably on the same floor as your bathroom - and make a little "nest" there, with all the things you will need close at hand.

Pick up any rugs and cords you might trip over.

Here are some articles to help you prepare for your surgery:
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

You're not likely to be much more mobile going home on the day after surgery as you would be going home on the day of surgery.

It's not like you experience some major improvement in mobility by spending the night. So essentially you'll face the same situation at home whether you spend the night or have outpatient surgery.

Sounds like help at home might be your concern. Have you got friends or neighbors you can call on to come visit you occasionally or bring a meal? That's a good idea.

Did you ask your surgeon if a week at a rehab is an option? It's worth a try.

I am having surgery on the 16th as well. Good luck to you.

Hello @BellaMac and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!

You‘ve already received some good suggestions from each person that’s responded. You will most likely be able to do more for yourself than you realize. I agree that having some easy meals ready for the first week, at least, will be to your advantage. You should be able to get to the bathroom on your own, as well as to the kitchen for an easy snack or beverage and in and out of bed, off and onto a recliner, or wherever you anticipate you’ll be sleeping.

While your husband may not be of much assistance physically, at least you won’t be alone. I’m sure he will be of some help to you. Make sure you have gel ice packs, or an alternate ice source. Ice really helps with swelling, which is a source of pain. Ideally you may want to have a friend, family member, or neighbor check in on you once a day for the first week in case you need anything your husband is unable to help you with. Prepare your recovery nest as much as possible before your surgery date.

Don’t forget us....we’ll be here for support, encouragement and to answer any questions you have to the best of our ability.

Wishing you comfort as you await Friday.

Very good point- I won't be much improved by the following morning so leaving same day as surgery won't make much difference. I am reacting more to the surgeons informing me this is what you are doing vs a mutual meeting 9f the minds.

Did you ask your surgeon if a week at a rehab is an option? It's worth a try.

I am having surgery on the 16th as well. Good luck to you.
I asked for a script for a hospital bed, our bedroom is up 12 stairs. He said no, I won't need it, said no to letting me stay over night - "you will be fine", he said. I didn't ask about rehab :)

@BellaMac. I was nervous going home too soon. I was able to get upstairs into bed fine - a regular bed. I just stayed upstairs most of the first week, used the walker to get to the bathroom, and let my husband wait on me. In home care is often an option - I signed up, but felt so comfortable that I canceled it before it started.

Don’t be afraid of your pain meds that first week - especially the first day or four! Pain meds, ice, and TLC from your husband will get you through.

Wishing you the best next week and a speedy recovery!

our bedroom is up 12 stairs.

You should be able to do this, because they will make sure you can navigate steps before discharging you, but I doubt you’ll want to walk up and down the steps multiple times per day. Is it possible to hang out either upstairs, or downstairs, for the majority of the day until bed time? At least for the first week or two? Wondering if you have a recliner or something firm and comfortable enough to sit on while you’re downstairs during the day?

our bedroom is up 12 stairs.

You should be able to do this, because they will make sure you can navigate steps before discharging you, but I doubt you’ll want to walk up and down the steps multiple times per day. Is it possible to hang out either upstairs, or downstairs, for the majority of the day until bed time? At least for the first week or two? Wondering if you have a recliner or something firm and comfortable enough to sit on while you’re downstairs during the day?
Because my husband has a prosthesis and had hip replaced shortly after his amputation, we have a heavenly recliner that lifts you up, lays down and is perfect. Thank you for telling me you got up your stairs. I'm feeling much more at peace with your and everyone else's replies. Thank you so much.

I've had three different replacements @BellaMac and they were all outpatient. It was never a problem and they won't let you leave if you need assistance just to walk to the bathroom, or go up stairs when they know you have them. I've only spent 2 nights in a hospital in my life, but I would avoid it if at all possible. Poked and prodded at least every 90 minutes all night long not to mention the noise! :hairpulling:

I've had three different replacements @BellaMac and they were all outpatient. It was never a problem and they won't let you leave if you need assistance just to walk to the bathroom, or go up stairs when they know you have them. I've only spent 2 nights in a hospital in my life, but I would avoid it if at all possible. Poked and prodded at least every 90 minutes all night long not to mention the noise! :hairpulling:
Oh yes, peace and quiet at home wins

I get when you have this abrupt moment when a surgeon seems to reject your thinking. It can be very jarring.

But it sounds like in this case, you overall do like the surgeon? I think the outpatient surgeons do think they need to be firm and confident in suggesting that options because otherwise their patients will be terrified.

If you have some fears, you can call the surgeon's nurse or PA and ask them to walk you through your fears. These folks in my experience are often far better at the people skills than surgeons, though I have noticed that surgeons seem to be making serious progress in improving their people skills.

I dealt with my surgeon's chief nurse on all these kinds of issues. She was fast at returning calls and coaching me along when I had a concern or frustration. And yes, she was wonderful to talk to.

How are you doing? @BellaMac
Wishing you peace and comfort as you wait...not long now. I hope you have a good nights sleep tonight. :)

That is so sweet of you. I am nervous and so looking forward to Friday - at the same time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks