Bilateral TKR Oregon Mom's recovery journey

Just be careful that once you start PT you don’t overdo the exercises. If it causes more than a discomfort then stop that exercise. Don’t allow the PT to be aggressive. Set the tone when you first meet.

Make sure that you start taking the pain medications prior to the nerve block running out. That way you will keep your pain under control.
 
Just be careful that once you start PT you don’t overdo the exercises. If it causes more than a discomfort then stop that exercise. Don’t allow the PT to be aggressive. Set the tone when you first meet.
Thank you for your message! I will have a much easier time asserting my self because all PT will be done through video chat. I'm so glad to get this information, because normally I just go along with what the professional tells me to do. :tiredwheel:
 
This article is in the Recovery Guidelines:
 
My hospital iced non stop when I was in. They did not have ice machine but provided ice packs and a sleeve for them. The sleeve took 2 ice packs and then there were 2 in a freezer in the room. They sent these home with me and if you note my signature I now have a collection. I iced pretty much non stop through my recoveries unless I was walking and sometimes even then since the sleeve they provided could be attached to the knee. Elevation and ice and medication on schedule were my routines for recovery and they really worked. Ankle pumps was my big exercise the first week and walking to the bathroom.
 
@leejaa This is great. Exactly where I'm headed.
@Jockette Thank you! I thought I had everything memorized. I'll read this again.
This is a wonderful journey. I'm so excited to be able to walk again.
I didn't expect excruciating pain, but somehow I'm enjoying the challenge. This is really making me appreciate so much about life.
 
I've been using a TENS unit on my tourniquet crushed quads and above and below the knee joints and it is very soothing. :yes:
 
I've been using a TENS unit on my tourniquet crushed quads and above and below the knee joints and it is very soothing. :yes:

Where did you get the tens machine? I saw some on Amazon for about $40 and didn't know if that would be a good one. Also hoping it is easy to use. Pt used one on a very sore spot on my outer knee and tonight it is feeling better. Today was my last pt session so thinking about the one on amazon.
 
@Disney Mom -
My husband purchased the unit from Amazon. It's a brand called Belifu. I just looked it up and I see it for only $35.
It absolutely helps me. It's about the size of an old ipod and incredibly powerful. It has dual channels and comes with sticky pads. And yes, it is very easy to use. There are a million different modes and settings so you can play around with it. The lowest setting can barely be felt so you have control over how powerful the charge is.
I'm three days post-op and in lots of pain and I can't believe it but it really helped. It helped with my osteoarthritis at the end of the day, but it's really helping post-op.
 
Last edited:
Definitely get pain under control, that is number 1 !!
dont let the PT do anything that brings pain !! Everything should be manageable, I made the mistake of not having enough pain relief on board, and after my PT session I realised more pain relief was needed.
 
My husband purchased the unit from Amazon. It's a brand called Belifu. I just looked it up and I see it for only $35.
It absolutely helps me. It's about the size of an old ipod and incredibly powerful. It has dual channels and comes with sticky pads. And yes, it is very easy to use. There are a million different modes and settings so you can play around with it. The lowest setting can barely be felt so you have control over how powerful the charge is.
I'm three days post-op and in lots of pain and I can't believe it but it really helped. It helped with my osteoarthritis at the end of the day, but it's really helping post-op.
Been seeing people talk about the TENS unit never knew what it was. Just looked it up. Does it really help with the pain?
 
@Dizzy -
Yes! Incredibly, they really do help. At least, it helps me. TENS doesn't totally erase your pain, but I've found that my pain is reduced significantly for several hours after a TENS session. My husband purchased the unit to help with my osteoarthritis and I was really skeptical. But I finally gave it a try. I've found that TENS is even more helpful for my post-op pain.
It sort of shakes things up and confuses your pain relay system.
My husband uses it for back pain and when it's turned up high, it can provide a type of massage by stimulating your muscles. Really interesting little gadget.
 
GROSS! :sick: Holy leaking nerve block catheters, Batman! I'm told this is very common and nothing to worry about. I'm about one day from the medicine balls being empty. I'm anxious to remove them, because then I can shower. But... I want to take as much advantage of the numbing medicine as I can.
However they leak and it is a real mess. I wish I'd known about this beforehand. Once they start to leak, the waterproof dressing starts to come up and you get leaking hips.
I've tried a washcloth, extra waterproof medical tape, even plastic wrap and duct tape as suggested by the anesthesiologist. It's just a mess. I'm not sure what good solution there is at this point, but maybe there's something I could've done right when I returned home to fortify the area.. I'll file this under
Things I Wasn't Told About Before BTKR
:eeeuw:
 
@Dizzy -
Yes! Incredibly, they really do help. At least, it helps me. TENS doesn't totally erase your pain, but I've found that my pain is reduced significantly for several hours after a TENS session. My husband purchased the unit to help with my osteoarthritis and I was really skeptical. But I finally gave it a try. I've found that TENS is even more helpful for my post-op pain.
It sort of shakes things up and confuses your pain relay system.
My husband uses it for back pain and when it's turned up high, it can provide a type of massage by stimulating your muscles. Really interesting little gadget.
Thanks for the info. I have ordered the one you got (20% discount:dancy:) so hoping I have good results. I need something!!!!:hairpulling:
 
Tens Twins, I love it!
 
Oregon mom...thanks for the info. I also ordered one of that brand from Amazon today. There was a coupon attached so got a good rate. I am anxious to try it. My last day of pt she used one on a very sore spot on my knee. I could not believe how much it helped! Why did we wait until my last pt session?
 
I have used a TENS on my lower back and SI joints but never on my hips or knee for recovery. I loved how much it helped my lower back from getting further into spasms. Still use it on my lower back when I overdo and it hurts.
 
Oregon mom...thanks for the info. I also ordered one of that brand from Amazon today. There was a coupon attached so got a good rate. I am anxious to try it. My last day of pt she used one on a very sore spot on my knee. I could not believe how much it helped! Why did we wait until my last pt session?
That is so cool! Now you and @Dizzy and I will be Tens Triplets! I'm really excited to hear how it works for you. I'm finding that it helps during those spikes in pain post-op. But it's also fun for a deep massage (on neck or back) as it stimulates muscles at high power.
I'm not sure why tens isn't in the foreground more. I was initially scared of the electricity, and didn't believe it would do anything helpful. (Also, it is safe for metal implants. I was worried about that, too.) But I quickly discovered how soothing it can be.
Congratulations on getting such a good deal. I hope it helps you!
:catdance::catdance::catdance:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom