Bilateral TKR Oregon Mom's recovery journey

Problem solved : I'll just install a toilet in my bed. :rotfl:

But seriously wow this is painful. Please let this be the worst of it.

I can’t believe you are home already!!! When I had bilateral TKR on July 6th, I stayed in the hospital from Monday morning until Wednesday afternoon. My doctor asked if I wanted to go home on Tuesday but Monday night had been soooooo awful that I said no. By Wednesday I was ready. Monday started out ok. Surgery at 7:30 AM went well. Recovery went well. I don’t remember much until the afternoon when PT came in and got me up and walking down the hallway with the walker. I do remember that my knees didn’t hurt at all due to the nerve block but my thighs were SCREAMING! That was a big surprise. Then it was time for dinner and bed. I had 4 large bags of iv fluids and 3 small bags of antibiotics that went through me all afternoon, evening, and night until 10:00 the next morning. That made sleeping IMPOSSIBLE because I had to get up to pee 6 (SIX!!!) times that night and walk across the room to the bathroom. That’s also when the tightness in my right hamstring started causing terrible behind the knee pain that radiated down to my calf, around to my shin and down to my foot. At that point I was in tears from the pain dispite taking the maximum oxy plus Tramadol and Tylenol. The nurse got the doctor’s permission to give me a one time dose of something else that helped the pain and knocked me out. I was miserable that first night. But thankfully things got progressively better! I was able to take a nice long nap the next morning after the iv came out. The PT came by and moved me from the walker to arm crutches. Then he had me walk down the hall to practice going up and down the little stairs in the PT room. The next day another therapist had me practice all my home exercises (heel slides, leg lifts, etc), made me practice getting up and down from various height chairs and then took me into the stairwell and had me go up and down a full flight of stairs. After that she measured my flexion (90L, 85R) and said I was ready to go home.

I did not do much at all at home for the first 3 plus weeks. I made sure I walked up and down my hallway every hour or so and did a couple of my gentle exercises while I was up. Other than that, I was in bed with my legs iced and elevated. I iced all the time! And I took my pain meds religiously on schedule (Tramadol, Tylenol and oxy and then hydrocodone once the oxy was finished). I let everyone wait on me hand and foot. My bookclub girls and various friends brought meals over for the first 3 weeks, and my husband brought my food up to my room on a tray. I rarely ventured downstairs because there wasn’t really anywhere comfortable for me to sit or lay down there, and I was afraid of the mess I’d find. I didn’t want to be tempted to clean anything up. Ha!

Hang in there!!! It will get a little better every day. Rest, rest, rest and take your pain meds!

You know... Your story is making me really wonder about this process and who is really benefiting from getting us up and walking asap. I've read "studies show" that getting up quickly after surgery helps the healing process... But really?
I'm not really a paranoid type, but I do understand that knee replacement is good money for hospitals. And the sooner I'm out, the sooner someone else can come in.
And if I leave before the real swelling and pain starts (because I got up and walked right after major surgery) , I'll be more likely to blame myself and my home environment than the hospital. I didn't enjoy it there and was itching to go home... But a medical professional would be helpful right now.
Honestly, I'm afraid to move and really wondering how I'll void my bladder.
Just some thoughts.

Good luck with the bathroom! This early on, you may want to have someone with you when you get up and walk to the toilet. The raised toilet seat makes actually going pretty easy.

Yeah, it's overwhelming at first after you leave the wonderful intravenous drugs of the hospital! But you need to remember to take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Try not to think much farther ahead than that. Know that every day will be different. It's not a constant upward trend of recovery. You will be all over the map. Some good days, some bad, some horrible. This was the most frustrating aspect for me, but after I finally accepted that fact, I was able to feel calmer about it all. But all in all, very slowly, it will trend upward. Late in the game, someone told me that it would be 1-2 years for total recovery. I didn't believe it at the time. In the beginning, I made stellar progress in PT. So much so that the Doc. released me early to continue at home on my own. But what followed were many months of moving forward, followed by setbacks, then forward again, then BIG setbacks, etc. Those big setbacks really scared me and I was certain something went very wrong with the knee. It didn't. I just felt that way. I was feeling around in the dark about my progress. I had no yardstick to measure it with. Then I fell at home in the 3rd week. WOW, that was painful. I'd slipped on something on the tile floor and fell backwards. Very lucky I fell backwards and not forward on the knee. Had the Doc. check it out and it was fine. He was more surprised that I hadn't broken something else in that fall. But I was fine. It scared the patootie outta me though! I realized how easily an accident could happen in the home, being unstable. I was very, very careful after that.

So you see - there are many unseens on the road to recovery. The main things I want you to understand and wish someone had told me: (1) Healing is not a constant upward trend. Be patient and loving with yourself; and (2) This will take up to 1-2 years for a complete recovery. Oh, you will be fully functional most of that first year, but you will know you're not yet 100% and still need to RICE occasionally. Nearly 1.5 years out and I still keep the big knee gel pack in the freezer in case I really overdo. But I can do anything I want to now. I've even tried kneeling on soft surfaces and that is working pretty well. Feels weird but I can do it. I'd worried about whether I'd be able to do that. So one more milestone, and a major one at that!

So hang in there, Sister! And try to relax into this trip, and give yourself mucho, mucho time. One fine day, you will notice that you feel like your old self again, and you'll be happy you made this choice.

I'm rootin' for ya! :ok:

What an incredibly helpful and uplifting message. Thank you. Hearing that it isn't a steady upward journey is helpful. That helps me prepare. I was so happy to be able to lean on the sink and wash my hands TODAY, when just yesterday I was scooting around with my walker with little trouble.
Last night was scary. The pain came on so quickly and ferociously. I've got a lot of pain right now but not as bad as last night. I was considering an ambulance!
Thank you also about the safety reminder. Yesterday when we got home, my husband set up the ice machines (I have one for each knee) as quickly as he could. Then he went to pick up our son. I had to get to the bathroom by myself and found myself wrestling a walker through a tangle of hoses and cords. And it dawned on me how vulnerable I am right now, and that I need to really respect that. Maneuvering a walker through slim doorways, around hoses, into my closet... I had to really come to terms with how disabled I am and how easily an accident could occur.
I know that, at least for me, one of the scarier aspects of considering knee replacement is having to go through this pain and a long recovery. But I do not regret doing this. Like you said, even though there are ups and downs, the result is a big UP.
THANK YOU! ❤

It does get easier but it also takes time and patience and figuring out what you can do. Getting up and walking is good but that does not mean long walks but somehow we get euphoric in the hospital. I did that with my last hip replacement and was quickly reminded that just because I think I can is not a reason to do it right now. Try to get hubby to clear paths for you ahead of time and leave them as clear as possible.

Ice non stop except for walking to bathroom and keep your legs elevated and that will help with swelling and pain. Take your medicine on a schedule and figure out if you can stagger different pain meds so you always have something on board. Also, set an alarm and make sure you take your pain meds at night on schedule also. With pain medications make sure you have something to eat. I kept some saltine crackers next to me at all times and protein bars I could nibble on as well as something to drink. Stay well hydrated with taking pain meds also.

Hang in there, this too will pass.

That is SO HELPFUL regarding staggering meds and not pushing myself
THANK YOU

If it weren't for Bone Smart, I might not have had the courage to reject home health today. I have a series of weekly PT appointments via video starting next week. I feel very capable of participating and benefitting this way. But there was also an order for home health to come do PT with me.
I just had major surgery on both of my knees. They are the size of grapefruit. I am still trying to get my pain under control, and having a home health PT in my home tomorrow doesn't make sense.
I'm so grateful to this forum for empowering me to say no to services without fear. I am confident to make that sort of decision. Whereas prior to pouring through BoneSmart, I would probably have gone forward with unnecessary, premature and expensive treatment!

Last edited:
@Oregon mom Well done on rejecting home health! Far too early to be doing anything except icing, elevating and resting. Many of our members don't have any PT until 4-6 weeks out. You have two knees healing. All they need now is a bit of TLC.

Sorry but yes, I was expecting the pain to hit. I’ve also had bilat knees in July. What I would suggest to you is SLOW down, regardless of what you did beforehand in preparation... this recovery takes time!
My surgeon described the surgery as ‘turning your knees inside out’ and now everything needs to heal.
Keep up with your pain relief meds and icing. You will get new aches and pains every couple of days, your good leg will become your bad leg and vice versa. It sounds like you have lovely support around you which is great, use this time to enjoy the TLC all the best with your recovery xx

About PT - I had the standard PT visits in the hospital to have me walk, get up and down from a chair, get in and out of bed, go up and down stairs and learn gentle exercises. Then I had almost a week off before I started out patient PT at a clinic twice a week. I know some on here don’t do PT, but I found it very useful. My therapist has helped me get over specific pain in my right hamstring, has helped me re-learn to walk down stairs correctly (a work in progress) and has given me easy things to do to improve range of motion that I would not have known to do on my own (walking backwards - toe/ heel, toe/heel). I have really liked PT.

Last edited:
At the hospital I was put on ice machines (one on each knee) continously and my feet were not elevated.
I asked about this and was told the reason for not elevating was to keep my legs straight. I'm still confused by this answer. I'm home elevating and my legs are also nice and straight. But sometimes I bend my knees a little or put a pillow under them to relieve the feeling of hyperextension, then return to straight when it's comfortable.
Upon discharge, I was told verbally by the different people and it is stressed in the discharge paperwork to only ice for 20 minutes at a time each hour. The Ortho nurse I spoke with yesterday also strongly reiterated this twice during our phone conversation.
I'm checking my skin regularly.
I'm using a folded pillowcase as a barrier.
If I remove the ice sleeve, my knees almost instantly become so hot and swollen that it almost takes my breath away. The ice feels good.
Why would I be instructed to do almost the opposite of what was practiced at hospital?

Will i be in tremendous pain once the nerve block catheters run out? They are leaking and I was told I could pull them out early if it was getting too annoying. I tried some additional waterproof tape because I'm not sure how I'll fare without them.

How many days/weeks post op are you?
In NZ it’s not common practice to be sent home with nerve blocks still in place.
You will be fine, sorry I think you may have started your post op journey believing all was going to be easier than it is. Just take one day at a time. X

I don't think all the medical people agree on the icing advice. All I know is we've had tons of people here who iced pretty constantly and recovered fine. I would ice for about an hour at a time with maybe a 20 minute break.

Don't put a pillow just under the knee. Do more of the ramp system so that you're getting a gradual elevation--the leg doesn't have to be perfectly straight. I had good extension but full straight was pretty uncomfortable. It's fine to change position when one gets too uncomfortable.

How many days/weeks post op are you?
I'm only 3 days post op. :)
I was definitely prepared for a challenge. I just wasn't sure if the nerve blocks should be removed now or not

I have really liked PT.
I am looking forward to PT. I'm normally a very active/athletic person.
It just seemed way too early to get into it right now, especially before pain is under control.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom