Guest viewing is limited

TKR Optimistic1's Recovery Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you have probably been overdoing a bit. I'd say 6 weeks is really too early for weights. You can add those in later.
 
I agree. At 6 weeks, your knee is still very early in recovery. It's too soon for weights.
 
Yes I will be getting a severance package when job terminates. I just wish I could be assured this stiffness will dissipate in my tkr so I'd know exactly how the replacement fed before I jump into the tkr in the right one. However on cray the right is even s little worse than the tkr in the left I had done but the left hurt more
 
Gigi-Thanks for the info. Like you my other knee /the right one:/is much worse on X-ray but didn't bother me as much as the left. Now I'm reminded of that pain and guess I need to get it done in order to really feel the difference with replacements. Although I was lucky with the process I guess I wish I had a little ore regrouping time lol but due to job situation at the beginning of ur due to elimination of position I need to get moving I guess. I'll just go back to work and leave again in November or so!
 
I just wish I could be assured this stiffness will dissipate in my tkr so I'd know exactly how the replacement fed before I jump into the tkr in the right one.
The stiffness is normal and it will go away, but it does take a long time. It happens slowly.
 
It sounds like getting the final TKR while you still have the insurance is going to be a blessing for you. The severance package will allow you to recuperate and job hunt at a good time for you. The stiffness will pass, and you'll be able to re-enter the workplace confident and mobile.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Thanks Jean. You're right I know I just have to bite the bullet and commit to it. I see the Dr the 17th of July and he told me just to give him 3 months to schedule / he's a busy man-which is a good thing. I think I'm just overwhelmed with all the changes pending and job elimination details but I can't change any of that and I guess I need to take advantage of the insurance. After all they have no problem eliminating my job'
Thanks for your input


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yep. Take care of you.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Just a little concerned- 8 was out ltkr and have been doing great per pt and doc and doing 1x wk pt. he says only 2 more visits. However now I seem to have trouble with external knee rotation and pain I bottom of knee . Motion of turning foot getting in and out of car and lifting and turning foot I.e. In shower causes pain along aid of leg And under knee. Or gave me exercises for single leg press at gym of 70 lbs which I'm able to do but wonder if I've hurt anything ? I go to dr Friday and currently not taking any meds. Leg still somewhat stiff and now other knee is really acting up. Bone on bone was well supposed to see about returning to work Monday. Feeling bummed. Took a ride to sit by beach Saturday drive time 1-1/2 hrs and sat there about 2 and legs were just real re stiff couldn't wait to ice again! Any thoughts


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Optimistic1 - I can tell you that I wasn't given single leg press exercises to do until 12 weeks and even that was too soon. And I only started with 30 lbs and was told to work up to 40 lbs. I was able to do it initially, but one day about 3 hours after exercising I suddenly couldn't put any weight on my leg and was in severe pain. It was just too much too soon. I backed off and only iced and rested for a couple of weeks, and then was able to resume without any problems. But even at 7 months, I never went over 45 pounds on my new knee, and if I tried more than 30 pounds on my old knee(which has now been replaced) I was in pain afterwards. 75 pounds is much to high to start with. You should be working up to that, not to mention that you are way to early in your recovery to even be starting that yet. With this new knee I'm not even going to think about starting that exercise until all the soft tissue damage has healed and I am essentially pain free. My suggestion is to rest, ice and elevate for several days to see if things calm down.
 
Thanks Gigi. He had me try that weight at outpatient or and because I could do it he suggested I try it at gym. I'm just so concerned with the external rotation. I went to gym thus am and just ride bike 1/2 hr and am Icing now. Have to decide about doing other knee before year end while I still have my job and insurance deductible has been satisfied. Wish U knew how the knee is going to feel a couple months from now but I know the other one won't approve. My Drs waiting time is 3 months too with his schedule
 
I can tell you the same thing happened to me. I seriously thought I had damaged my implant. I was so concerned my doctor finally had me make a special trip (I drive 2 1/2 hrs one way) because he was afraid with my complaints I had a stress fracture and wanted to x-ray it. Everything was fine. I'm telling you it just is too much weight and it is too soon to be doing weights. My doctor is known for accelerated rehab and he didn't even have me try that until after 3 months, and as I said before I felt that was too soon. 4 months is probably a more reasonable time frame. As far as knowing how you will feel in a couple of months, your new knee will continue to improve if you will quit abusing it and allow it to heal with progressive exercises and strengthening. By 6 months you will feel almost normal, at least I did. But just because you can leg press 75 pounds once in PT doesn't mean you can do it at the gym with the same results. For one thing, the equipment at the gym may not be the same. What is 75 pounds on one machine may actually be a little more on another. And you don't always feel the after effects for several hours, so listen to your body and knee. Seriously, stop ALL activity and just ice and rest for a few days and allow your knee to recover. You will be surprised at how much better it will feel.
 
Thank you for all the info. I'm icing as we speak and will run out to get more Tylenol as the big bottle I had before surgery is gone! And I'm not taking the oxycodene any longer. Good news is my j durance just told me if I have another surgery before year end there is no coinsurance as I've satusfued the deductible! That's quite a plus since my job is being eliminated in February.
 
I had satisfied my deductible with my first knee, too. Second one done six weeks later was basically free! Sure is an incentive to get them both taken care of, especially when you know they both need to be done.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
It definitely is an incentive and thanks for the feedback. I see the doctor in two days and will discuss at that point.8 end post surgery and supposed to return to work Monday however thinking about doing part time for a month working back into schedule although excellent rom I still have issues with external rotation and getting that leg in and out if car and flexing movement is somewhat painful . I'm really only taking Advil for pain and am icing whenever pain. Doing home exercises and biking at gym 3-4 times wkly. I can't however lift and turn that leg outward flexing without pain? Any ideas on that?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I had my rt knee done and it is much easier to get into the driver's seat than the passenger seat, easier to lead with the operative leg. if I were in your shoes I would tell the doc to get me on the schedule for that other knee so that there is some wiggle room in the event of any complications. you can always back out if conditions change. sounds like you are doing great, be careful as it is so easy to overdo when you're feeling good. I am only 5 days behind you and I know I am not ready to go back to work. my knee is fine but I don't have the endurance yet, and my job is lots of time on my feet (nurse).
 
Thanks for the reply. I probably will do that Friday. Unfortunately my disability pay us reduced from 100 to 66 percent now which financially hurts. I think if I go back for A month and work min 10 hrs I'd get partial disability which gives me 100 of 37.5 hrs for one month only then you're expected back full time. My big concern however us this darn external rotation and pain when flexing from ankle to knee up hip? I'll ask pt today and dr Friday. Hope this doesn't mean problem with tkr? Your thoughts? Do you still hAve stiffness ?
 
I still have stiffness and some swelling -- some days worse than others. I haven't noticed the external rotation you are talking about. Let us know what your PT and Dr. say but my guess would be it's just one of those weird things that happen during recovery and require additional strengthening to resolve. But keep in mind that I'm no expert!

Roxie
 
Thanks Roxie. The pt was going to release me today but when I mentioned the pain he wants me to ck with doctor Friday. However he said pretty much same as you- thinks it's weakness with hip abductir. However he did say my rom which was 123 was 112 today or 116 when he pushed. Admittedly I haven't been doing those exercises heel slides half as much as I used to. He wants me to continue doing those but isn't concerned that I won't get that number right back where it was. He wants me to do more walking.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom