Guest viewing is limited

TKR Optimistic1's Recovery Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you fir the info. I wanted to share that on 3 occasions today I almost tripped on scatter rugs. I have removed all in my apartment however my sister took me out in her car and we walked into a bakery and twice! While inside, the walker caught under rubber mats. Very dangerous! Please be careful. When I mentioned it to the store employee she just shrugged her shoulders! I advised her that's a huge liability right there!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Or to put it another way, the cane and the bad leg go forward together, the good leg goes on its own.
I wanted to share that on 3 occasions today I almost tripped on scatter rugs. When I mentioned it to the store employee she just shrugged her shoulders! I advised her that's a huge liability right there!!!
That's basic health and safety regs. I reckon we're lucky to have such an organisation over here. It wields some power in this country as its guidelines are applied as law! Something like scatter rugs in a shop would be a very big no-no. As you say, a liability.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Went to Dr today for 3 week check and he says I'm a super star X-rays good, Rom good, and he feels prehab work I did helped in such a great start to recovery. I can start limited driving too!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks ---I know it'll bee a while to be 100 percent but I'm doing my best. Then on to decision on right knee!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I know it'll bee a while to be 100 percent but I'm doing my best.
Jolly good on your review. Always makes you feel good, doesn't it? However, do remember that recovery is not something we have to DO, it's something that just happens. If you are 'working hard' to recover then stop it. You'll do better allowing it to progress on its own.
 
Point well taken-When I said I was working hard I meant I was doing all the things the doctor asked me to do and also doing the daily exercises as requested by the physical therapist in an effort to make the rehab process as smooth as possible. I appreciate your feedback.
 
Xxxx be careful. Good recovery.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
When I said I was working hard I meant I was doing all the things the doctor asked me to do and also doing the daily exercises as requested by the physical therapist in an effort to make the rehab process as smooth as possible.
That's exactly what I was referring to! did you read my recovery threads? You really need should in order to understand that even though your PT has said you have to do exercises, it's really not necessary. I never did any and had a great recovery nevertheless.
 
I have found that simple walking was one of the best things that I did for recovery. I have two Corgis and so have to walk them twice a day. I loved walking and watching the seasons change in the woods near my house.
 
I guess we all have our opinions on rehabbing and the bottom line is if you can achieve good results with no pt- that's wonderful. If on the other hand you chose to do as your doctor/pt suggests and you also obtain great results that's all that really matters after all . I do, however, certainly respect your opinion and I have read the recovery links suggested.
 
Just a question- yesterday at op pt I had some type of muscle stimulation with electrodes to stimulate a muscle on the side if my knee. There was no pain however, I was given a clam shell exercise to do at home . I have to admit I did a lot yesterday after pt- laundry , went to grandsons baseball game and didn't elevate and ice as usual. Last night my ankle was very swollen and leg quite stiff its 4 wks post surgery. Does anyone have thoughts on this?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Feeling a little bummed now. Although I have 124 rom after 6 was post tkr I am still feeling that stiffness which Ive heard lasts some time however now my other knee is acting up possibly because of compensating for the other. I know times to be replaced but I haven't returned to work from the left one yet! In honesty since I got the ok to drive I think Ive let up a bit on icing and elevating and paying the price . Loll of a sudden I have a limp. Also pt advised me to start using leg weights with exercise to build strength with hip abductors. Getting a little bummed although pt tells me how awesome Im doing


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I would advise you to listen to your body and do what makes you feel comfortable. I was much like you the 1st time, followed the OS and therapists instructions to the point of being obsessive and had a good recovery. I'm a little over a week postop this time and I will tell you as much as I want to do all the exercises prescribed like the last time, this knee just isn't allowing it. I haven't had as good a pain control this time so I do what I can do and I'm not going to worry if there are some I can't do yet. I had good ROM at my 1st week visit but extension isn't as far along as it needs to be. So I'm focusing on that now. Finally felt comfortable yesterday walking unassisted - 10 days postop. It will come if you keep doing the basics and progress your activity as your body allows.
 
I think I have that same limp and get to do side steps with a band that absolutely kills but they do seem to be helping my overall mobility if not that limp, at least not yet. Remember you had a bad knee and were probably doing all sorts of things to compensate for it.

I found practicing good striding - heel strike, rolling to the forefoot and laying all the toes down starting with the little and making good and sure big toe does its job helps keep from overdoing it with the natural knee and limping. Sort of scary starting out, I used the walker at first.

You will have little ups and downs, if something swells then elevate and ice. If you get overtired then take a nap. Do try to spend at least as much time resting with your leg up as you do up and having some fun though. Not just for your knee's sake, you are still recovering from surgery and need to take it easy.
 
Was this your second tkr on same knee or other knee? And how long did u wait between surgeries?
I guess I was hoping my other knee would quiet down but I realize it too is bone on bone and needs replacement. Just wanted a break in between but I can't enjoy the new knee while suffering with the other. I see Dr on the17th so I'll discuss it then the other thing is afterJanuary my job is being eliminated and no insurance
 
I had my 2nd TKR on the other knee. My doctor insisted on 6 months between knees to give the 1st one plenty of time to rehab and heal. I'm glad I waited that long because it has helped to have that one strong leg. My other knee started to give me more problems the more I worked on the new knee strength so I can empathize with what you are feeling. The 2nd one I had done was bone on bone, more so than the 1st knee but it was the one initially that was more painful. It had started to bow out and required a lot of realignment to my bones and ligaments. I thought the 2nd one would be easier since it wasn't as bad in terms of pain. NOT! I had to have the patella resurfaced this time and that may be the difference, but I've definitely had more problems with pain and movement this time.
 
I would definitely try to time your second one before you don't have insurance. My doctor will do the second one after three months, so it's a matter of what the OS's policy is. Definitely talk to yours. I'm guessing you'll not want to have it done any later than October or November to ensure insurance through your recovery. Will you be getting a severance package? If so, that will help cushion things while you're finishing your recovery before having to hit the job search market hot and heavy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom