Guest viewing is limited

TKR Op on 7/3 home 11/3<<

L4F D @Josephine

I will try and take a photo of it and show you the exact area :thankyou:

:alarm:Very tired today and not taken many painkillers yesterday was happy as I manage a 500m approx walk on the flat at the common no crutches. But today pain and tired :sleep::dogsniff: so short walk for Hal but he is so good now back in bed icing knee. :ice:
 
Has anyone else in United Kingdom had Mr Davis operate on their knee either private or NHS. Mr Davis does have a Harley Street practice for private.
I had mine done at St Albans Herts but he also covers Hemel Hempstead and Watford that come under West Herts.
Would be nice to know if there were.
 
It would be but I doubt it! I checked him out on the NJR Profile and found that last year he did 140 hips replacements and 237 knees! I would say that puts him in the "extremely experienced" category!

As for Harley Street, it no longer has the kudos it once did. Anyone can get rooms there but it doesn't mean they have any expertise (Mr Davis excluded, of course!) These chaps also all have a private practice - in fact they only work for the NHS part time (just part time, meaning 9 tenths of a full time contract) so they can do private stuff. Surgeons who work full time are not allowed to do private work as well. Just thought you'd be interested in that little factoid!
 
Rough night and when I did get off to sleep I must have had knee bent in an awkward way woke with horrendous pain in knee and the nerve running down through ankle across top of foot to to big toe. Defiantly a nerve issue in foot but knee is also throbbing to so more icing to see if it will ease.
I did do some washing last night and for first time since operation my pelvis locked not much better today so a little :elevate:I think with:ice: hope everyone is doing good mx
 
Yep, Ice and elevation are the way to go. Hope you sleep better tonight.
 
Hi @kneeper yes didn't sleep well iced knee in night again and feel quite good but not up yet lol going to shower so that's always reshreshing and helps too
May try short walk today. Happy day everyone
 
I feel like I've done very little the last two days have done my exercises and iced I get periods with my normal health of extreme fatigue and just have to go with it. Have iced knee 3 times and once in night as wasn't sleeping knee feels good walking just the heavy feeling which is norm from swelling but don't want to spend too much time in bed but sometimes it's only way I can cope with other issues. I'm sure it's just me having post op blues day but feel I could do more but don't want to damage it or make healing longer!

I have just read something on some cyber post somewhere that with knee replacements they followed a fairly high amount of people from different ages I'm 52 which was there younger age up to 80 and they found that those people who came to surgery for TKR before it reach bone on bone and had a better ROM less pain recovered faster and with better movement with new knee. There were other factors such as General health overweight and so on but the out come was surgery sooner rather than later.

What's your thoughts you wise one @Josephine

(I have now put what you ask on the front and back numbness looking at you pictures it's very similar to mine only I have skin numbness all way down the side to where nerves have been cut and squashed in back.

@kneeper what's your thoughts on the above survey - to me it makes sense after a bad back consultant waited to operate put be in a cast then another and so on I was in agony unable to walk - my son started to get back ache at first he thought it was a muscle but after 3 weeks he was xrayed by Mr Dyson who is doing some surgery but specialises on spinal issues. He looked at the MIR and look was in within 3 weeks he has a small scar unlike mine, all four of them one over twenty inches. His is about 6 inches. He fused it and Luke is doing great this happened at 14yrs old. He is now 27 yes if he lifts things like moving home or bending then he gets pain but nothing like I'm left in. Meds for me are fentanyl 150 every 72 hours, diazapan, zolpiclone, gabbapentin 1200 per day, codrydamol. Now with knee I have OxyContin and oramorph.
So looking at that it does make sense to do op before its at its worse. What's your thoughts

Just hit my bed time meds so hopefully will be sleepy but does not always happen. Xxx
 
There are so many factors that go into how easily and well you recover and get ROM. My second knee was easier partly b/c after I had the first knee done I could at least do some exercise and was more physically fit. On the other hand, the first knee had long been my worst knee (due to RA) and was in worse shape pre-op and I still got a good result. A good surgeon is important regardless.
 
Have iced knee 3 times and once in night as wasn't sleeping knee feels good walking just the heavy feeling which is norm from swelling but don't want to spend too much time in bed but sometimes it's only way I can cope with other issues. I'm sure it's just me having post op blues day but feel I could do more but don't want to damage it or make healing longer!
It's only about 4 weeks since you had your TKR, which is major surgery. You do still need to spend most of your time resting, whether it is in bed, on a couch, or in a recliner.

You can ice your knee all the time you're resting. As long as you have something (like a tea towel or pillowcase) between the ice and your skin, you won't do any harm if you ice for long periods. You need to ice for at lest 45 minutes each time, or it won't be effective. I used to go to sleep with an ice pad on my knee and refresh it when i woke in the night.
I have just read something on some cyber post somewhere that with knee replacements they followed a fairly high amount of people from different ages I'm 52 which was there younger Age up to 80 and they found that those people who came to surgery for TKR before it reach bone on bone and had a better ROM less pain recovered faster and with better movement with new knee.
I'm glad they have done a survey like this. Can you give us a link to it, or a reference for it, please?

The results are really common sense, though. Less damage before surgery means that muscles, ligaments and other soft tissues haven't begun to distort, to accommodate increased dysfunction and pain. While waiting for knee replacement, some people become bow-legged or knock-kneed - and that needs to be corrected during the surgery, causing more extensive surgery. The less work the surgeon has to do and the less the soft tissues have to be pulled about makes for a faster, less painful recovery.

I have personal experience of this. At age 50, I was told that my right knee needed to be replaced, but I was "too young". I had to wait for 9 long, painful years, during which time my quality of life deteriorated and I became more and more disabled. My recovery took a long time.

I had my left knee replaced as soon as it was bad enough, before I had lost muscle strength and before any of my soft tissues had distorted. Consequently, I had a much easier recovery.
 
@Celle you were not far off with Harley breed! He is a Cockapoo.

[Bonesmart.org] Op on 7/3 home 11/3<<


He is not as curly when cut short when long he looks like a werewolf, his fur is all over the place. But he is amazing he takes socks off puts them in wash basket, empties washing machine, fetched my shoes, opens gate shuts gate does same with the door. He is just amazing all of that and his hearing work. However he has saved me from being knocked over he stopped dead would not move only then did I realise a car had jumped lights and just stopped. The other day I didn't know but was heading back to car with things in hands and he stopped dead as I went to open door when I looked down I had dropped keys he had sat with them between his legs until I realised. A very special dog who I love and is my buddy. I chat away to him he knows which isles we go down in different shops.
 
He's a great dog! Now I can see his ears, I know he has Cocker Spaniel in him.
We had a golden Cocker Spaniel when I was growing up. He came everywhere with us.
 
Right @Celle that great dog you mentioned who has been amazing keeping mummy safe has decided that two days resting is enough and it's time for some serious stuff like getting out in the sun lol I do feel brighter today so going to do a little walk with him the common is flat and lots of people if I fall over lol but it will be lovely to get some air.
 
Managed .88 of a mile with Harley much deserved he loved it I'm feeling good and icing up now @Josephine @Celle or anyone I think I know the answer but would like to know if I'm right when having TKR do you gain any length in leg even if it's a smiggin'
 
@Josephine I also meant to ask can you do too much icing. My swelling is going down but I've been left in limbo.

I only had district nurse come in because my son got cross as nobody had seen me in over two weeks of leaving hospital, not even to check scar, however within an hour nurse turns up I'm chatting away and she finally said I really sorry but I don't even know what op you have had!!!!

Anyway she removed the dressing and went it's healed that's fine and was gone. So I got a letter about two days out of hospital regarding physio and to ring to make apt being deaf impossible so a friend phoned and the earliest is the end of the month. So I'm trying to do the right things and this site has been a God send, thank God I found you.

So Tuesday I will be four weeks post op and won't see anyone until physio in 3/4weeks. I feel okay and coping but you want to to heal right especially after a botched back op.

On leaving hospital I was hitting 93* I can straighten leg but all weight on it I'm bending well obviously better with medication but not sure how much to ice I keep rotating ice for long periods.

Today I walk .88 of a mile with Harley and it felt good best yet. I feel straight and walking properly apart from nerve spasm which I can only describe as make my knee feel like it is bending backwards lol like being zapped. Heel slides good didn't know about them until I read your article I can lift leg straight and also pulling toes forward.

I keep waking up with it bent but can't do anything about that I suppose in a way fact I don't sleep well from other pain means it's not like it too long. Still have total numbness on the outside but I looked at an article you did showing numbness and mine is exactly the same. I don't know how dead your are felt but mine is as dead as dead could be lol.
If you can advise anything else I'd be grateful.
 
Under conclusions but has much more info on the who survey https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3438434/
I wouldn't rate that article as a) it was published in 2012 and b) the cohort of patients is only 95 which means nothing!
So I got a letter about two days out of hospital regarding physio and to ring to make apt being deaf impossible so a friend phoned and the earliest is the end of the month.
Don't worry about the physio. If it's anything like me, it will just be an assessment anyway.

But before I can advise, I really need to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. how swollen is your leg?
[Bonesmart.org] Op on 7/3 home 11/3<<


7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. what kind of exercises are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
If you don't know the name of the exercise, just describe it briefly

Exercises done at home: (enter number) of sessions each day
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
(enter exercise) x (enter number of reps and sets)
 
@Celle or anyone I think I know the answer but would like to know if I'm right when having TKR do you gain any length in leg even if it's a smiggin'
Are you hoping for more leg length?

I think you can gain leg length after a TKR if you were either knock-kneed or bow-legged, as your surgeon will do some adjusting, to make your leg straighter.
I seem to remember @referee54 (I think it was him) saying that he gained a bit of height.
 
@Josephine

Q1. Right this minute 1. no pain. Walking I did 0.88 miles todsy pain 4
Q2. Prescribed for post op knee oxicontin and oramorph- but for all other issues with back I'm also taking
Fentanyl 50m take 150 changed ever 72hrs
Diazepam 5mg
Gabapentin 100
Co Dydramol 500g
Zopiclone 7.5m
Venaflexine 75mg

Hospital meds post op so just take 5mg oramorph if needed and can take 30mg oxicontin but trying to leave if not needed. But as walked today will require later.
Q3. 4-5 times during day extra after exercise and also in night if wake with leg bent just to ease it each time about an hour
Q4. Yes I lay fown and elevate as much as possible quite a lot ( walked for hour early and been resting icing since on and off so 2hrs elevation them up to move around)
Q5. because I have seen no medical staff I can't tell you all I know was when I left the hospital day four I was at 93* since then it's not been measured but I can tell its higher now. My leg is fantastic and straight laying on bed I can lift it straight toes stretched up very pleased.
Q6. Moderate- some odema in calf too.
Q7. Josephine this is a problem I am unable to do much because of back operations shoulders elbows. So my son comes and cleans for me changes bed and Hoovers. I live alone so tend to buy microwave meals and I can do this. Even washing up dishes is excruciating. So that's best description I can give.
Q8. Everyday I walk one day short walk next day slightly further.
I have only done heal slides but only because I saw it on here I have been given nothing. So 5x heal slides twice s day.
Straight leg lifts. 5x morning 5x evening
Then each day I squat holding onto fence to the point of pain 5 squats.
I also lift good leg so weight on TKR (no pain) and then reverse holding for 5 secs on each x5
Standing I do knee lifts again as above alternating good knee/TKR x5 secs on each

To loosen pelvis and back I again hold fence/gate and do 5 happy cats and five angry cats to stretch out spine pelvis as this gets painful. I'm sure you know what the cat exercise is if you don't I will explain in detail.
Being on my own with no assistance I've just used my knowledge from sports injury.
Walking is better I'm not leaning to left or forward as I walk I'm not bandy now which is why I asked if you gain any length because when walking and it was really noticeable today now swelling lessi was walking very uptight and not limping like before or at an odd angle. So I'm just trying to do all the things needed to achieve straight and leg bendable knee. I still have that numb area I have now in early post written as you requested finally but what helped more was the photo you put up showing your numb area it's exactly the same place and size mine is. It just feels odd when weight bearing. Only other issue is. Where that nerve has be cut I have the oddest and sometimes excruciating pain in my foot but big toe is at times unbearable. Since back ops it's always been iffy. I just think it's the nerves that have been cut causing it.

Thank you for you time I'm sorry I don't know names of exercises but to be honest some I made up just to achieve my aims. Mary x
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom