TKR Onward to the Future!

Thanks for organizing my threads! Now I'd like to rename it to Onward to the Future!

Today I'm on post op day 9 and I've had a pretty hard time of it. I developed tourniquet pain and things got pretty bad. The pain really forced me to do the bonesmart mantras, like it or not. Yesterday the pain eased up some and today I feel much better. I am drained from this exhausting week but now I have my sense of humor back and life is good!

So far I have attempted 1 heel slide and gave up on that idea. So I've just been doing ankle pumps, elevating and refrigerating, getting up to bathroom and an occasional walk to the kitchen and meds by the clock, every 4 hours. My thigh looks like it's holding an extra gallon of water and there is nothing in this world that would allow me to bend my knee.

I haven't used my CPM either! I'm proud of me!

As for home PT, I saw him last Monday and no word since. Last time, I got worried because my insurance takes forever to approve home visits. This time I hope he never comes back. I may just decline visits henceforth because he's going to want me to bend it and that thigh isn't going to let me bend my knee.

This is my second TKR and the first was a breeze compared to this. I don't say this to scare anybody. Just be aware that these things can happen. I'm not regretting it at all. It's worth the first few weeks of distress for a whole lifetime of mobility.
 
I've changed your thread title. :)

It's true that no two knees are the same, even if they're both yours.

I hope that Knee Number Two starts to settle down a bit and cause you less pain.
You're doing all the right things to help it. Keep on concentrating on rest, ice, elevation and regular medication, to help get rid of some of that swelling, and forget about doing any more exercises that the ankle pumps for now.
Those little walks around the house are all you need to do until your knee is feeling a bit better.

Later, you can start doing a couple of the exercises in the following articles. Just choose one or two that you like, and do them gently once or twice a day.
Heel slides and how to do them properly
[URL='https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/extension-how-to-estimate-it-and-ways-to-improve-it.9529/']Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
[/URL]
 
I'm sorry to hear this knee is being more difficult, but you know what to do with it. Hopefully in a few days the elevating and ice will bring the swelling down.
 
I had tourniquet pain and it's no joke. But I was lucky as mine eased off after about 4 days and I can remember that day still with crystal clarity! Previously I had had to ease my leg a tiny bit at a time to the edge of the mattress and then over the side and to the floor, all the time feeling like somebody was raking around the inside of my thigh with a welder's lance! But somehow I managed it - you have to when you need to go to the loo! - and then that blissful day when I found I could just move my leg to the edge and over all in one go without a single flinch! What a relief! Odd thing is, no-one's ever been able to discovered why it happens. Never had a smidgen of it with my second knee!
 
Today is Day 12 Postop

I'm finally over the worst of it. The thigh pain has eased off and the swelling has gone down some. The knee pain has really been secondary this time around, losing the pain competition with the thigh. If I hadn't had the tourniquet pain, this surgery would have been cake.

The home health nurse discharged me and while he was at it, I told him to discharge me from PT. I only saw the therapist once so I didn't feel any guilt in setting him free. I lied and told him I'd go to outpatient once the swelling went down. That shut everybody up!

I have been following the BS mantras to the letter. Such great advice. I really wanted to do more but couldn't. There was no way for me to break the rules this time!

My current "exercise" regime is to walk with the walker around my house and I'm thinking maybe I'll go outside today seeing as the weather is cooler. I'm not ready for a cane yet. I can get out of bed easily and out of my recliner. I have an app called Goniometer and I think it's a very accurate reading of bend but here's the thing: I don't care what degree I'm at!!! So I'm not using it.
 
Good for you! I fully concur with your approach to things!
 
Here I am at Day 36 post op on RTKR and 116 days out from LTKR. I have a new problem that I'd like your opinions on please!

In the past week I've developed a restless leg on the right side and insomnia. In that time, I've also cut way back on Percocet and haven't had any at all for 3 days. Tylenol and Mobic are controlling any pain I might be having. I highly suspect the Percocet as a cause of the insomnia so I cut it out with no adverse effects. It's the restless leg that's keeping me awake.

As another consideration, I had pretty massive swelling of my thigh related to the tourniquet during surgery. It has gone way down but the swelling is still there. Is this giving me the restless leg? My low back has started to hurt for no really good reason.

I have Flexeril on hand and it doesn't seem to do a thing for the restless leg. I'm not willing to go back on the Percocet. I have Norco on hand but I think it's the same as Percocet as far as giving me insomnia.

The leg starts bothering me at bedtime. I can't find a comfy spot. I have to keep moving that leg! I'm not having much pain. It's the restlessness that's driving me insane. I go from bed to guest bed to living room recliner and so on. Sometimes I can fall asleep briefly.

Any suggestions? I'm considering going to the chiropractor for my back and maybe to line up my spine with my new knees.

As a tribute to Bonesmart, I'd like to say that I have done everything right this time. No heroics. No pushing it to point of pain. No PT. I'm using my recumbent bike, only for 15-20 min at a time and spend half that time rocking back and forth and am able to get it around quite easily. Just a little at a time.
 
I'm not an expert on restless leg, but I have read about something many take for it. @Jamie or @Celle may have the correct name.

Back pain seems to be common among TKRs. It may take a while for your body to adjust to your new alignment with both knees done now. It's also wise to get new shoes that don't have your old walk pattern worn into them to help with gait which may help with your back pain.
 
I just ordered a dozen cold ice pack 10x14 I believe from ebay. 55.00 shipped. i figure going to use them two at a time maybe three? one on each knee one under the knees? will have plenty to work with!



Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Cookie, I don't know if I can help or not with you RLS, but I found that anything with the ingredients that Benedryl has give me RLS. Many had suggested it to try to rid myself of insomnia. It took a few times, but I finally realized it was the Benedryl copy that was causing my RLS. Since stopping it I've not had it anymore. I hope this helps you. That restless leg is a pain!
 
Thank you for your suggestions!

@KarriB great idea re: new shoes. I need to get a new pair ASAP now that I'm walking again.

@Celle thanks for the informative link. I think this is probably a temporary thing as it only affects my right leg.

@Kathi 777 you will have plenty of ice packs! I had about 5 or so and I used them religiously.

@sistersinhim I have found that Benadryl is no longer effective. I did try a store brand of NyQuil that contains doxylamine rather than diphenhydramine but really, I was still up all night with the heebie jeebies in my leg so I can't testify to this other drug working. I'm just going to go without any kind of sleep meds and narcotics from now on.
 
I'm so sorry. I was hoping that maybe Benedryl was causing your RLS like it did me. My PA suggested a heating pad on the quads when I was having the problem. It didn't help me, but it might you. Getting rid of the Benedryl did.
 
I had restless leg with my right TKR also. It lasted about a week or two. I got a creepy crawly pins and needles feeling and had to kick and move my leg. It would lessen after a half hour or so and I would finally be able to get a bit of sleep. It always happened right after I got in bed. It didn't start immediately after surgery, but probably a week or two after. It's totally gone now.
 
I know there is an Old Wives' Tale that suggests that putting a new bar of soap in bed with you will cure restless legs.

I don't know if it works or not, and I have no idea why it should. I'm just throwing it in as a suggestion. At least it will do no harm.

My husband gets restless legs sometimes. It's usually related to a day when he has had more activity than his usual routine. I should try the soap for him! :heehee:
 
I take magnesium capsules for restless legs and it works for me :)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
 
Thank you for all your suggestions. I started taking magnesium pills and the legs have been pretty quiet! I was still having insomnia so I started Doxylamine which is an alternative to Benadryl and that seems to be working too! Also, melatonin 5mg which was recommended by my PCP. I pulled out all the stops and have slept for two nights in a row. I've also made myself be more active without forcing my knee.
 
glad to hear you found some things to help with your RLS. I believe either my Aunt or Sister told me that can be caused by being dehydrated, so more fluids may be helpful. Think benadryl and other meds like it are drying or a dehydrating. Also maybe eating certain food could be helpful. ( bananas maybe used for RLS also. )
 
Back
Top Bottom