Guest viewing is limited

TKR Onward to the Future!

I have a question about swimming as rehab. Prior to surgery I did a lot of water exercises and the pool was the only place I wasn't in agony. So I'm about ready to get back into the pool and I know it'll be REALLY easy to overdo. Does BS have a theory or suggestions on what to do when first getting back to the pool. Normally I dog paddle and do laps plus I have styrofoam pool weights for upper body.


Cookie
LTKR 8/15/16
 
@Aquafool regarding ice packs the hospital gave me a sleeve that holds 2 ice packs that sleeve wraps around the leg and velcro's on. Because of the insulation to the sleeve, it seems to keep a well frozen ice pack good for use for about 3 hrs at a time. ( it's made of all soft fabric type material)
I wanted to get additional ice packs but the hospital doesn't offer them for sale. But the holder ( I'm calling it a sleeve, not sure what's it true name is) you could use other brand ice packs in, I haven't been able to find the exact size over the counter, but that sleeve acts as a insulator to make it last longer than if it were wrapped in a towel.

So I guess what I am saying is if you could find a holder of sorts for the ice packs think you could get more usage time out of them.
 
So I'm about ready to get back into the pool and I know it'll be REALLY easy to overdo. Does BS have a theory or suggestions on what to do when first getting back to the pool.
Have you been told by your surgeon you can get into the pool? Because you are only 3 weeks out and in my experience, that shouldn't be attempted until at least week 8 and maybe even later.

As for what to do, at first, nothing! Just rest in the water and maybe hold on the side and kick a little. On the second visit, do some very slow walking in the shallow end, 5 or 10 steps at most and build it up very slowly from there. It is so very easy to over do it in the water as the buoyancy gives you a false sense of security and the next day you could end up in serious pain. Oh, and just go maybe once a week.
 
@Josephine I have another appointment with him in 10 days and won't swim until I see him and get approval. The general rule for my OS is once the incision is closed, it's okay to swim. Others in this area make patients wait 2 months.

Thank you for the advice. I know it's going to be hard not to overdo this. Normally I stay in the pool for two hours and go every day. I was also going to the gym every morning 5 days a week. This recovery is clipping my wings but I want to do it right!

@zzevi Thanks for the icing hints. I have found a few Coleman Gel packs and putting them into a sleeve would work great! Thanks!


Cookie
LTKR 8/15/16
 
I see my OS Thursday, and my #1 question is when can I get back into the pool. Before surgery, I too LOVED my swimmng as it was the only exercise I could do and not be in agony. I was swimming laps, 1 mile 3x a week. I swim with a waterproof mp3 player, with tunes blasting in my ears, a full mask & snorkel. I get into my zone and 2 hours just dissapears and I'm in my own special world. I miss it. I'll let you know what my OS has to say on the question.
 
Have fun with the swimming, you two, whenever your dr authorizes! That water is so forgiving for arthritis. Since I still have one bad knee, I'll continue to seek out a pool whenever I travel.
 
Swimming and water therapy are good, but it is all too easy to overdo things. The water bears most of your weight, so that you don't realise how much exercise you are getting - until you get out of the pool.

Do avoid the breaststroke (frog) leg kick. It's particularly hard on the knees.
 
Celle's right. When I began swimming again at 7 months my OS told me just flutter kicks for a while, no whip kicks. Even at 7 months it took me a few weeks to work up to my usual 20 laps. The dreaded energy drain took the wind right out of my sails or lungs if you will.
 
Hello all! I've been unable to post or access the forums for a long time. Moderators please feel free to merge my threads if you wish.

I tried to search my old posts and couldn't find them. As a brief recap, I had a LTKR on August 15 and it's been what I consider to be a very good recovery. I can do just about anything I want to do now and I love my new knee. I swim every day and walk to my community's pool, 2 blocks, every day. I try to get 3000 steps daily and that hasn't been a problem.

Pain control is accomplished with Tylenol 1000mg 2-3 times a day and a Norco at night. It's not really painful at all now and at worst it's a 3 but I have a hard time falling asleep at night.

I'm now pending RTKR on November 3. My right knee doesn't bother me nearly as much as my left did but I just want to get it done and over with and move on with my life. I had a few bumps in the hospital with a sadistic therapist (she kneed me in the back of my new knee because I was walking too stiffly to suit her on my second time out of bed) and two neglectful nurses holding off on my pain meds. This time around I will do things differently. That therapist will be banned and nobody will be "forgetting" to give me my meds.

For this next recovery, I'm going to do things totally the Bonesmart way. Last time I only got 3 home PT visits and he didn't force me but being an overachiever, I forced myself and paid for it. Silly me. Next time, it's Bonesmart mantra all the way!!!

It's good to have access to the forums again!!




Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Good Morning. It is good to hear from you. I remember reading your thread before I had my RTKR. I am glad to know that you are doing so well.
 
Glad to hear you are doing so much better and that there was no permanent damage to your knee from the sadistic one! May be a little early, but good luck with your next surgery! Try not to get stressed out waiting. I was bad about that!
 
We'll work on getting your threads merged, but so glad to see you again. I agree, keep on the nurses dor meds on time. My nurses wrote the time I had my last meds on the whiteboard so I'd know when I'd get the next ones and could ask ahead of time. You can ask them to do that and also set your phone alarm after you take a dose in case you fall asleep.
 
Actually there is no real need to merge any threads. You have a recovery thread for your first knee here and this thread for your next knee in the pre-op forum. That's just fine! I'm so sorry you've had difficulty accessing your old recovery thread. Here is some guidance for you on how to search and find a thread.

How can I find my threads and posts?
 
It is great to see that you are having the new knee on November 3rd---I had my BTKR on November 8th.
I had a few bumps in the hospital with a sadistic therapist (she kneed me in the back of my new knee because I was walking too stiffly to suit her on my second time out of bed) and two neglectful nurses holding off on my pain meds. This time around I will do things differently. That therapist will be banned and nobody will be "forgetting" to give me my meds.
That is wonderful that you are advocating for yourself---remember---the PT folks work for you, not the other way around---and it great to see that you are drawing that line in the sand and will not let anybody hurt you.
 
Oh yes, I remember you too. I was so outraged on your behalf at your treatment! I'm glad you are going for the easy way full throttle this time. Good decision!
 
Yes! Bonesmart all the way!!! Whenever I overdid, tried to bend it too much, or performed other acts of self-inflicted foolishness, I paid for it for two days afterwards. So hopefully I can do better this time.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hello @Aquafool

It's amazing how much we learn through the process, isn't it!? At least you know what battles you want to fight in this second recovery. My knee ached when I read about that abusive therapist. I would have been so angry!! I might have hit her with my walker! It sounds like this time will be much better for you!

Jen
 
I'm on the other side! I survived! Had my surgery on Nov 3 and the really painful part has passed. By following the mantras of Bonesmart, I'm basically pain free while lying in bed. Not bad for Day 3 postop.

Getting up and moving or bending is still pretty painful. I'm only moving to the bathroom and then maybe walk 20 paces and back down the hallway which seems to make it feel better. I'm only doing things that make me feel better! I was able to get up, walk 5 paces to the bathroom then took a shower on my own. Again, this was with minimal discomfort. I have a CPM machine but only use it on 30% to prevent that restless leg feeling. The shower was my activity du jour. I'm lying in my comfy bed and my wonderful man is is waiting on me hand and foot.

I could rant on about the hospital experience. I've been a nurse since 1969 and wow. Things have really gone downhill. Very nice people but the system is terrible.

Lucky for me, this time PT didn't attack me. I had a run in with this one woman PT who came in to evaluate me. She wanted me to stand up and she was right up in my face holding a gait belt around my waist. I kept telling her to move her legs out of my way and back up so I'd have room to move and stand but she wanted to argue. Wasn't in mood to argue. Was high on dilaudid. Told her I can't and won't stand until you move. She moved. She was ghastly and pushy. But she went away. Other guy Steve pretty much left me alone.

My surgery was Thursday. I went home Saturday. Another night in that place and they'd have had to transfer me to the loony bin.

I'm glad it's over and life begins!!!

Cookie
LTKR Aug 15, 2016
RTKR Nov 3, 2016


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
That's a shame that your hospital experience was so bad. Mine was the opposite. I had the best care imaginable - except for one PT person who decided she'd like to make me scream.
 
Moderators please feel free to merge my threads if you wish.
A little belated but finally we have got around to merging your threads! So I won't post the recovery articles as you'll already have them in post #9! Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. Having had a similar experience, I remember how that feels!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom