BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

Washington Post article that confirms what Bonesmarties know!

Discussion in 'Joint Replacement in the Media' started by Clipless, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Clipless

Clipless Post-Grad

United States United States
    • Like Like x 1
    Tags:
  2. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

This is a great article, but I'm not sure this doc really understands our BoneSmart philosophy. At the end of the article, he writes that his recovery was different than most people who can do aggressive therapy. Little does he know.....the more gentle route he finally followed is what works for most people!

Thanks for posting the article!

3. Clipless

Clipless Post-Grad

I agree- what he seems to have gained from his experience is that gentle PT is only indicated for someone with his particular underlying condition. It's a start, but I'm thinking of emailing him to remind him that gentle PT is best for all TKR patients.

4. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I intend to contact him! I'm trying to comment but the WP is being tardy sending an email to verify my email address!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jwalther04

jwalther04 New Member

Awesome article. Since my knee replacement in August, I have been in physical therapy including a manipulation under anesthesia to get my ROM past 100 degrees. In a burst of utter frustration I found this website last week. I also had long standing issues with my knee before the operation. I understand people have done little or only gentle PT and have gotten outstanding results. What could I look on Bonesmart that could be applied to someone with pre-op and post op knee issues. I really want to stop beating my knee to death in an attempt to get it to heal.

6. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    That didn't apply to me - I did absolutely NO exercising whatsoever, not even so much as a single heel slide. I recommend you read my recovery thread to see how little exercising I did for either knee! Knee recoveries UK style Parts I & II (Josephine)

Many others have followed this and moved from slow progress with lots of pain to no problems and a really good increase in ROM. You see, it's not the exercising that gets you your ROM, it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle and time to heal. One thing that seems to be missing from all the PT's protocols is that all your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen so it can show itself. In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.

Read this too BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

• Like Like x 1