Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral PKR One Year Update

3 weeks after knees replaced and 1 week after the fall the measurements today were:
L - 105/3
R - 95/3
Right knee took the biggest hit and is still more swollen and sore than the left but with lots of icing and elevation it will soon be better.

But best of all, I'm starting to feel like there is going to be life after BTKR. On Sunday my son-in-law is taking me and my 13 year old grand daughter and drop us off at theatre to see "Black Panther". I already told her she can sit with her friends in middle of theatre but I'm going to have to sit on side seat of same row so I can stand up every once in awhile and not bother anyone. The theatre has fairly high seats so there shouldn't be a problem there. And I told her I'll spring for popcorn for us both as long as she carries it. :)
 
You’re doing well, especially after that fall. It’s so frustrating and humiliating to be made to feel like a drug addict when you’re just trying to keep this surgery pain under control. Your ROM is great and I’m sure your granddaughter will be glad to carry the popcorn, maybe even a soda!
 
I found if I go to in the middle of the day, there's hardly anyone there. Then, I could place each foot on the armrests of the seat in front of me. That really helped the knees! Does your theater have handicapped seats? They are very helpful, too.
 
Hi, Sherrie. I am actually pretty amazed at your recovery. I'm thinking you sure are moving along quickly, especially considering at 3 weeks I finally took my first shower! I was also still using my darn walker at 3 weeks, but at 4 weeks I believe I finally switched to a cane. I didn't go anywhere except the doctor's office or the ER for the longest time. At around one month I was home alone for the first time and barely managed. I couldn't even dream of going to a movie or shopping at 3 weeks (as a matter of fact, I still can't go to a movie as I can't bend my knee in that position comfortably or for that long, but that's another story entirely). So, if you are feeling like you're shut-in or stuck, think about the fact that you are, at least IMHO, really recovering well. Enjoy your granddaughter and your outing!
 
I hope you enjoy the movie! Did you consider looking for a theater with recliners? I found those work wonderfully with new knees. No need to get up and down.
 
@lovetocookandsew - I see that you are having a revision. I'm sorry you have had problems that require the revision but I hope that once that is done that you will do super.
I've been very lucky with my recovery as I have not had any issues with the surgery or implant. I wish everyone could have the type of recovery I've had so far. Except for the fall. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
I attribute most of my recovery to two things.
1. The incredible skill of my surgeon. I knew he was good and he even has patients coming from overseas to be operated on by him. I can't say enough about how incredible he is.
2. My daughters organization of my meds. She has them in little bags with the time they are to be taken and what pills are in the bag. I have alarms set on my phone for each bag. It does mean that (depending on when I go to sleep) I have to wake up at 11:15pm, 3:15am and 6:15am. But I don't even get out of bed, just roll over take the pill in that bag and go back to sleep. Even in the hospital the nurses would wake me up to take the meds. So I had the right amount in my blood to be effective 24 hours a day. It also meant that I was able to sleep a decent amount of time. I don't know what I would have done if I had been sleep deprived. That is such a horrible thing. I had a difficult time getting my script for refilling my meds and I can tell the difference in how my knees feel and everything generally slowing down. I have them now so am looking forward to getting back on track

And of course there is all that I learned on this site and the wonderful people I am able to talk to here. I do have PT and OT and they are great. They let me take the lead and have never touched my knees.

No one is more surprised at my recovery than me. I'm an overweight 63 year old whose idea of exercising was taking my little dog out for a walk. But I'm going to ride it as long as possible.

Everyone on the board has been so wonderful and giving. Best of luck to you with your revision and the spectacular recovery you are going to have.
 
@SherrieT So excited you get out of jail this Sunday for a couple of hours. Awesome!

I would say my recovery was smooth as well until I had all the skin issues, beginning with when the staples were still in, then the abscesses, infection, antibiotics, and finally psoriasis. But internally the knee is working very well, and my rom from the gate was spectacular, through no efforts of my own. And now all the skin issues appear to be resolved. I go to see my dermatologist tomorrow for a follow up on the psoriasis and also for my semi annual full monty melanoma check.

My little (very tiny) Chinese 87 year old next door neighbor has such severe rheumatoid arthritis, but she is so cheerful, always dresses nicely, and participates in all the activities they have going on here at the senior apartments. Today she gave me a hug to wish me well on my move - I tower over her as I am quite tall at 5' 10 1/2", and she is about 5'1". Such a sweetheart. She gave me a wonderful hug. So I'm sending one (cyber hug) to you as well. Paying it forward.
 
Right or wrong, but my surgeon told me he was not concerned about me doing a lot of walking at the 2-4month span. Actually Said there’s plenty of time for walking later. He was more concerned about me working on my ROM at the time.
That worked out for me. I’ve walked two theme parks with my grandkids, December Disneyland, this week at Universal Studios, so it certainly didn’t hurt my future walking.!

I found the stationary bike (which I have at home) very very beneficial early on , and still to this day. I remember the day , Don’t remember when it was, but I recall the first day it felt good to move my knees around on the exercise bike. Just imagine an activity with your knees where the predominant feeling is feeling good, with no pain. You’ll get there!You’re quite early in your recovery and there’s just a lot of healing of those muscles and tissues to be done, my 2 cents is rest icing ELEVATING work on rom and gentle exercise like the bike but you’ve gotta be patient
 
@rickj You picked the perfect day to post about your stationary bike. I got one before surgery to help in recovery. It's not recumbent so it's been a little difficult for me to get up on. During my PT this morning she wanted me to try it again so we raised the seat up as far as possible, no tension and I climbed up on it. We were just talking and she suddenly said "you realize you just did a full revolution?". I was so shocked. I wasn't even paying any attention. We decided I need to lower the seat just one notch and to put it in my daily activity. This was at the end of my session so I was pretty tired. Rode it for 2 minutes only but was so happy. I won't say that it felt good yet but I'll get there.
 
Yay, I full revolution! Wait until tomorrow or Sunday, even better, to ride the bike again. You need to see how your knee reacts to this new accomplishment!
 
Yay, I full revolution! Wait until tomorrow or Sunday, even better, to ride the bike again. You need to see how your knee reacts to this new accomplishment!

@sistersinhim I will definitely be waiting. I'm not sure why but this PT session just exhausted me. Didn't do anything that was hard on the knees but afterwards I am just so tired. It didn't seem like I was doing more during session than we normally do but it sure tuckered me out. Laid out in recliner right now, elevating, icing and bingeing "Flea Market Flip" on TV.
 
With a ROM Like you have in both knees, you really don't need to keep going to PT.
All your knees need now is just the exercise you get in your daily living, and lots of rest, ice and elevation, so they can continue to heal.
It's not exercising that gets you your ROM anyway - it's time. Time to recover, time for swelling and pain to settle, and time to heal. Your ROM is there right from the start, just waiting for all that to happen, so it can show itself.
 
@Celle - I like the PT. They are big on stretching, massage and balance. There are specific things I'm having issues with, like my right leg "helicopters" out when I go up stairs and they are helping me with that. I also lost a lot of confidence when I fell so working on the balance is a big deal for me. I really enjoy it. When I get discharged out from it, I'm not sure if I'll continue with an out of home PT.
 
Balance is one thing that I do think PT is helpful for. So, yes, keep going.
 
Last night brought on something new for me. Was almost asleep and my left quad seized up. I couldn’t even move my leg at all without horrid oh-my-gosh-I’m -going-to scream pain. I called daughter to bring me ice bags but they didn’t seem to help. It took several hours for it to ease up. After a couple of hours I was able to use walker to get to recliner. But it hurt so much. Took 2 Tramadol and 1000mg Tylenol but I think it was just time that helped the most. A sledge hammer to my head might have helped. :heehee:

This hasn’t happened before and hope it never happens again. It was so debilitating.

I no longer have the option to change my thread title so if an admin would change it to “3 Weeks -Quad Seizing Up” I would appreciate it
 
Although we advise not to put heat on your knee, I think it would be all right to use it on your quads. Try that next time and see if it helps with that horrible, sudden pain.

I've changed your thread title to "Quad Seizing Up." I don't think you need to keep putting how many weeks post-op you are in the title - we can see that from your signature that gives your surgery date, and we don't want to be changing your thread title every week.
If you want to remind yourself, put something like "Three weeks post-op now" at the beginning of your post.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom