Bilateral PKR One Year Update

The energy will return. Even now, though, I bet you have enough for a short errand. Just knowing you can go somewhere if you have to is wonderfully liberating.

I did run a short errand. And came right home, lying down now
 
Hope you get through that angry quad without reoccurrence...wonder if might be a slight dehydrated cramp thing??
Again for a reminder, take a look at the real or the “cartoon” version of tkr to see how brutal the surgery is to those muscles especially the quads!!! So those muscles can get angry (as my PT would say)
Btw
I’m texting this from sears pasadena where I’m pretending to test the exercise bikes!!! Feels nice to get a midday stretch!
The exercise bike remains my best friend. I love your first revolution story!!!
 
And that's all you should do for the next few weeks to a month. Short errands, not too much time on your knees. They wipe you out but no harm done mostly. My first trip to the grocery store with Mr. Shoes, I just went to the produce section and bought some fruit and onions, then went to pick up some meat. And that was pretty much it for me. I found a seat at the front of the store and let my sweet husband finish the shopping. I was exhausted when we got home, but I felt so good having done the shopping. :yes!: Little victories at first. Big ones come later.
 
I’m wondering if I gave up pain meds too soon. The constant aching is really getting to me. There doesn’t seem to be any comfortable position where they don’t ache. Even after 1000mg Tylenol.
Back to basics. Recliner, cushions, and ice..
 
Last edited:
You're not quite four weeks out from your surgery, so... yes, it's likely you gave up pain meds too soon. Some people can give them up at two or three weeks. They aren't the norm. Most people are better served to stay on longer. Have you tried a step-down med like Tramadol? Many people do really well on a combo of Tramadol and Tylenol. Talk to your OS about this. Mine said he would do this for me after my narcotics were done (though I didn't need it, so never used it).

Also, in case you're not doing it still, ice is a great pain reliever for this stage of recovery. A good icing can really tone down the aching.

The third thing to consider is scaling back your exercise, if you are doing much in that department. Just daily activities are really quite enough for your knees at this stage. Finding a balance between activity and pain is the key at this stage.
 
You’re doing really well being just one month post btkr.!
I admire your drive to get back to normal, and your kick butt attitude, I certainly wouldn’t get in your way. But as advice (unsolicited as it may be),
Remember to throw some “love” at your quads and related tissues. They have to heal, and that will take more than a few months. They need rest, yes exercise , healthy eating elevating. You know all that.
I could be wrong but I suspect you may be at one of several plateaus that out of necessity includes —reaffirmation of patience.
You’re already kicking butt. Just remember those knees need some love! (When I say knees I mean the muscles ligaments bone etc) the joke here is that our titanium or cobalt chrome and space age plastic knee parts are Bionic! They don’t need to heal! Just everything around them that got “worked “ to put them in.
Take it a just a little easy. You’re already ahead of the pack!
 
4 weeks post-op and 2 weeks post-fall today. R 103/3 L 105/3. I'm happy with those measurements.

It is difficult cutting back on pain meds so much but if you have to, you have to. I'm able to sleep, albeit a bit restless so I'm lucky there. Have issues with constant aching so I'm giving my knees love. Lots of elevation, ice and rest. I drove to the field/park down the street from our house yesterday and was able to get a nice little walk in. Got some great zoom shots of a male, red Cardinal and then drove down just a bit and pick up some bananas for the kiddies.

@rickj My PT suggested drinking a big glass of ice water before doing bike again so it sounds like someone else thinks it might be a dehydration issue. I do drink several cups of tea a day but need to work on more liquid. Nothing really tastes good to me, liquid or food. I'll take a couple of sips or bites and then I'm just "blah". But if I can get my behind out of the recliner today I may give it another shot

Last night my daughter asked me if I was sorry I had it done and and I told her that at that moment I was but I know I just need to get through this patch and then it will start getting better everyday.

@SusieShoes I've decided I'm not going to do out-patient PT. There aren't any local PT's that take my insurance and I'm not going to commit to driving into Providence or farther 3 times a week. Climbing my stairs as often as I do, taking my little walks and getting back on the bike are all I can handle right now.
 
SherrieT
Aha!!!!
Look up tea. It’s considered a diuretic and will contribute to dehydration!!!!!
 
. Climbing my stairs as often as I do, taking my little walks and getting back on the bike are all I can handle right now.

That's really all you need. :) I know it sounds a little whack-a-coo, but I actually believe our knees tell us what they want in order to get better. Mine would tell me they wanted to bend, so I would do a few knee bends on the recliner or ottoman, whichever. They'd say they wanted to stretch, and I would push my knee down onto the surface to stretch the hammies. I just, you know, did it... no reps, no so many times a day.

I love that you have a park nearby! Walks are more fun when they're scenic. I'd tour the neighborhood (just my street at first, more blocks later) and check out the landscaping. :heehee:

I hope the day comes soon when you are happy with your new knees. Once you get to where you can do more, the sky is the limit!
 
Today has been heavy duty sleep day. Hope that means some heavy duty healing going on
 
Today has been heavy duty sleep day. Hope that means some heavy duty healing going on
That's what they say, that we heal more while we're sleeping! Enjoy your day or extra healing!
 
OMG, it is so cold outside. High winds and rain. My knees are frozen and hurts so much to use them. It's got to be the weather. Even when it snowed they were not as bad as today.
 
I wonder why the weather bothers the knee and icing it helps it. Strange isn't it. I live in Florida so right now I don't have that problem. Maybe a little heat would help. You know what I think I just thought of the answer to my question the pressure difference probably causes the pain
 
Wind has always hurt my knees, especially when it's cold. I'm sure that's what hurting yours @SherrieT. In Jan, when we had snow, wind and negative temperatures, I was out in it for only about 15 minutes and it took at least 4 hours for my new knee to calm down.

We have the winds today down here, but sunshine. I'm staying in!
 
The weather has never affected my knees, but after her TKRs my mother used to complain a lot that her knees didn't like cold weather. She knitted herself some knee warmers and she said they helped a lot.

Amazon has knee warmers.
 
It’s not the cold itself. I’m wrapped up in my warming quilt. It was warming just fine until we lost power a bit ago :sad:
 
Wow. I've been walking up stairs foot over foot for awhile now but am very slow coming down. I come down kind of sideways and one foot at a time. And now I know why. I just now tried to walk down stairs foot after foot, straight and I didn't even make it one step. That hurt!!!
 
It's always harder coming down the stairs foot over foot. It took me quite a few months to be able to do it comfortably. Your knees will let you know when they're ready. Don't push them before then. Cause it hurts!!
 
Yes, walking down does come later for most people. Building up your leg muscles a bit with walking and also going up the stairs really helps. One thing I did at home, as a BTKR, was to consciously alter which knee was my “good” knee on going up and down the stairs while using the cane. That way both sets of muscles got some work at doing the heavy lifting and supporting. I don’t know if that did one bit of good, but I felt I at least had a plan. :heehee:
 
I did my best walk this morning. About 3/4 mile. Still feel better using two canes but I was able to do it comfortably and steadily. I want to do it as many times as possible this week as we have another storm coming in. Hopefully this weekend my son-in-law will go with me and we can see how I do handling Bashie. That will be such a milestone and boost to my spirits.

I started back to work today. I work remotely so it's not a big stretch. And my office is in my living area. Four co-workers each took a bit of my job and kept it up to date as possible so I don't have horrible amounts to catch up on. Just need to double check and make sure things were done correctly. Are they ever glad I'm back. If I'd known that meds would be withdrawn so soon I would have waited another week or so for some additional healing. But I'm able to get up and walk around when I need to. I thought I might be able to work from desk but I'm going to set up laptop and monitor on bedside table and have it over my recliner with legs elevated.
 
Back
Top Bottom