PKR One Year Out - Pleased With Outcome

I have been doing some reading/ research to try to fully understand and deal with my surgeon's belief that my residual medial knee pain is due to my medial collateral ligament rather than any arthritis in the unoperated medial compartment.
I think I do now understand his reasoning and believe him. I had a severe knock knee deformity on my operated side and as this causes the structures of the lateral knee to compress and collapse- it also then leads the MCL to become overstretched. This explains the medial pain I had pre- op. My pre- op MRI also did comment on the stretched MCL amongst multiple other issues.
My MCL is still stretched although the ongoing damage has stopped now my leg is straight. I guess only time will tell if it has the power to tighten back and heal after years of being too stretched. The pain I have fits with MCL pain in terms of its location on the medial joint line. Also the fact that it only twinges when my knee is turned inwards ( even slightly). If I push up exactly straight when say going up stairs it is OK. This fits with the function of the MCL to counteract valgus forces and the pain fits with my MCL not being very good at this!
Understanding this helps me because I had been worried that I made the wrong decision to opt for a PKR over a TKR. In fact it seems that the MCL is left alone even in a TKR - so it appears I would still have this medial pain even after a TKR.
The slight pain at the front of the knee which he thought was patellar fat pad pain seems to be settling- touch wood.
I am just going to carry on with lots of ice ( which seems to be the treatment for more acute MCL injuries) and muscle strengthening pilates.
My pilates teacher thinks my glutes and quads are doing really well but I need to do a bit more work on my calf muscles to balance things up.
Would be interested to hear from anyone else in this forum who had problems with knock knees.
 
EalingGran, well done on your research! I hope that sets your mind at ease and confirms your trust in your surgeon. It’s always nice to understand the ‘why’s’ I think. Now you can imagine and understand exactly what’s going on inside your knee when you feel those twinges. Hooray for knowledge!
 
Thanks- it does help to understand things more. If it doesn't settle I might try a light knee support again.
Regarding massage. My pilates teacher has been using spiky pilates/ massage balls along my IT band and sciatic/ glutes areas. I don't thankfully have any IT band pain but she says it is quite a difficult area to stretch and the spiky balls are good for this.
 
Realise that I am now exactly 16 weeks post my lateral pkr. I have been thinking it is less but it will be four calendar months on the 25th.
I am making progress but it is slow and I sometimes still get dispirited by well meaning but insensitive comments from others- expressing surprise that I am not 100% better and planning adventurous holidays etc.
Just going to log my current situation, both good and not so good for information. I think my recovery is probably about average for a modestly fit 66 year old.
My knee is gradually getting stronger. I regularly walk 8000- 10000 steps/day. If I do much over 10000 steps or a lot of stairs then I will have slight swelling/ soreness/ warmth by the end of the day but it will settle with ice/ rest overnight.
I can walk 3 miles with a break in the middle for rest/ coffee with little or no pain ( 1 out of 10). My family all agree I am walking faster than pre-op.
I can do a few flights of stairs/ day normally going up ( towards the end of the day when tired I will revert to one-step at a time). I can do 3-4 steps normally going down if they are fairly shallow but generally still find this too uncomfortable/ slightly painful. I do have to be careful walking upstairs to keep my knee straight and engage my muscles.
The numb patch is definitely reducing and feels more normal and less tingly. I still have occasional funny sensations and zingers. I can now kneel for about 5-7 minutes quite comfortably in the 4 point position to do cat stretch exercises for my bad back.
My lower back pain is improving because I can now lie on my tummy and kneel to do back exercises. Plus I am back on naproxen once/ day for the last couple of weeks because it was sore.
On the more negative side I still get slight twinges from my MCL if my knee twists inwards even slightly. It is getting less mainly because I am careful to walk straight and I am strengthening my muscles with daily pilates.
I carry a foldable walking stick. I don't use it except for getting on and off buses and trains and going up/ down stairs if there is no rail. Also to lean on if tired.
I still need to rest and ice in the afternoon as I get tired after my exercise in the morning.
I find standing for long periods much more difficult than walking. I like art galleries and am catching up after being out of action for months. I get very tired and my knee gets definitely stiff and sore with a big exhibition and I lean on my walking stick at these times.
I still don't sleep that well and use my cryocuff water cooler resting on my knee at night. The knee pain at night is definitely reducing and pretty minimal. My sleep issues are long-term and not helped by endless colds recently.
I also have a very challenging few days coming up. I am doing my first long car journey tomorrow. It is just 2 hours ( which I know is not long by many people's perspectives). I won't be driving but I may do a part of the journey and we will stop part way. We are visiting my son and his wife and my other baby grandson. We will stay overnight and I am not looking forward to my first night away from home post- op. I then have to come home early on the train ( my husband is staying to help with babysitting). I have to come back for a gynae investigation/ procedure billed as "painful" in the paperwork. It can be done under GA if I can't tolerate it but I would rather avoid a GA. Partly as I don't want anyone moving my new knee if I can't tell them to stop! My daughter will collect me and my husband will be home the next day- so not that difficult really.
Still getting anxious nonetheless.
Sorry for the long post but it helps me to summarise and record where I am up to.
 
EalingGran, you are doing so well! I know you will be happy to hold that baby. My daughter wanted me to spend the night over the holidays and I couldn't do it. I understand how you feel. I'm still having some difficulty with her stairs.
I had a hysterectomy just before covid. I think I know what procedure you are talking about. I did it in the office and yes it hurt. The cramping is bad during the procedure. After maybe 5-10 mins it was over. I had some light bleeding so bring a panty liner. I know you don't want that knee bent. I wonder if you could use an ice gel pack somehow during the procedure. Sending best wishes...
 
Oh geez, as if you haven't had enough already.
That's a really good idea from Flashlight.
Can you inform your doc and surgical team that under no circumstances bend your knee?
Good luck with your trip and your operation:flwrysmile:
 
@beachy Thanks! I am going to be pretty careful with my still baby knee and not let it be yanked in any way.
Managed the drive OK and I drove about half of it. Really lovely to see my 2 year old grandson. We last saw him at Xmas
 
EalingGran, lovely to read your update. I am impressed by your kneeling! I hope the stretches continue to relieve your back. It sounds like you handled the drive to visit your family well, so that’s a win! I’m sure you must be anxious about your procedure but hopefully it will go quickly and smoothly and they will be careful with that knee! I’m sure if you talk to them ahead of time they’ll take extra care. I hope you’re able to stay healthy so that knee can continue to heal. You’re doing so well (:
 
Feeling good.
Managed train journey home by myself last night- including changing trains.
Knee coped brilliantly with my gynae appointment today. No problem getting up and managing stirrups.
They did an ultrasound first and because that was OK I was able to have a less painful biopsy than the full telescopic procedure. All I can say is if that was the "much less painful option" - then I am really glad I didn't have the full blown procedure!
 
I'm pretty sure I had that "less painful biopsy" years ago. He said it will feel like a bee sting. Felt like the whole darn hive was stinging!
Hope it all comes back ok.
Yay for the knee behaving:happydance:
 
He said it will feel like a bee sting. Felt like the whole darn hive was stinging
Very true.
Going to have a nice quiet weekend and take it easy. Feeling more tired/ slightly cramps now.
Will skip my exercises for a couple of days.
 
I hope you feel better. Skipping your exercises will help you and your knee.
 
Oh EalingGran, I’m sorry! That sounds terrible. Glad it’s over with though and your knee did well! Good idea to take it easy this weekend.
 
Never rains but it pours.
Just been admitted to hospital with an infection following my gynae procedure yesterday.
I was OK yesterday- just a bit of cramping.
But today felt very tired, nauseous and my pulse went up to 140.
When I got to Casualty it was 164 and my temperature was 39.5 so I was seen pretty quickly. Have had swabs and IV fluids plus 2 lots of IV antibiotics ( ceporexin and metronidazole). Feel dramatically better already and told I will be in for about 48 hours to check everything has settled. Glad I acted promptly because don't want any risk to my knee
 
Oh my goodness EalingGran! I am so sorry you’re going through this. This is the last thing you needed :sad:
I’m glad you’re feeling better already though, and I hope they take very good care of you there.
You were wise to go in right away.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom