PKR One Year Out - Pleased With Outcome

Interesting analysis of the kinesiology. Hopefully you'll be spared further intervention.
(yeah "first flush of youth" :heehee:)
 
I was able to get the full access today to my X-ray results from my follow-up appointment last month.
It was all basically OK, as he said- although there was a term ( enthesopathy) which was new to me.

New right lateral unicompartmental knee prosthesis on the right. No periprosthetic fracture and the metal work is intact. There is mild degenerative narrowing and marginal osteophytosis within the medial femorotibial joint compartment bilaterally

Mild enthesopathy to the proximal pole of the patella bilaterally.

No soft tissue swelling or joint effusion. No acute bone or joint abnormality.
I used the search button on BoneSmart to find out that it is inflammation of the tendons/ ligaments. Apparently commonly known as ' Runners knee"- which is a bit unfair as I was never a runner......!
 
It was all basically OK
This is good news. :flwrysmile:

Apparently commonly known as ' Runners knee"- which is a bit unfair as I was never a runner......!
:heehee:

I’m glad you’re doing so well with your partial. I think I only remember 2 others with a lateral in the 7 years I’ve been here.
 
Good news, EalingGran!
Reading "no abnormality" had to be a relief. :egypdance:
Enjoy the rest of the week! It is a holiday weekend here in the states. Family, friends and BBQ time.
@EalingGran
 
Enthesopathy...
So it clears up something about physiology I had often wondered about back in my pre-internet days... if tendons and ligaments link bone with other structures, how do tendons and ligaments actually attach to bone? Today I learned entheses are the connective tissues that do that!
Thank you @EalingGran !
 
Reading "no abnormality" had to be a relief.
Definitely.
The other good news was that the pelvis X ray showed the hips apparently better than they were two years ago. Hard to believe they have improved but presumably they have been helped by my very valgus knee deformity having been corrected.
The only bad news, which I kind of knew anyway- was the incidental comment on the pelvis X ray about moderate to severe lumbar arthritis.
 
is a holiday weekend here in the states. Family, friends and BBQ time.
Have a lovely time! We had a week of beautiful weather last week but back to cold and damp again this week. Fortunately the good weather was when we were away in the Cotswolds and the cold is now we are home and back to unpacking/ washing/ grandchild care....
 
Realised that I am coming up to the three year anniversary of my PKR.

I read through my thread and thought I would post an update as there are very few long term posts on BoneSmart unless there are problems with the implant.

I also thought it would be useful to have a longer term outlook as I have one of the much rarer PKRs ( lateral) and there is some debate about the longer term survival of PKRs.

There hasn't been much change in my knee over the last year, except possibly it is a bit stronger and I have more confidence in it. I do regular glute strengthening pilates about 3-4/ week plus a regular pilates regime for my severe lumbar arthritis/ spinal stenosis. I am very aware of the research which shows that most TKR/PKR legs are weaker long term (1-2 years) than the unoperated side. I think there is a tendency for a lot of people to overdo the exercise early on and then get put off from a more persistent exercise regime.

My right knee is now about 90% as good as my absolutely perfect left knee.

I have brilliant ROM ( 150 degrees) which is only a few degrees less than my left knee. The only things I can't do on this side is a standing quad stretch where I catch my ankle behind me or to sit back with full weight in child's pose.

Lateral PKRs are very mobile. In fact they had to switch from mobile to fixed bearings because they were so mobile that they had a tendency to dislocate.

I am virtually pain-free. I do occasionally get a slight ache in my knee at the very end of a long day. I also do get a slight twinge getting up from deep flexion/ squatting. I do have non painful crepitus in the unoperated patellofemoral compartment. So presumably the twinges are from the unoperated bits of my knee.

They aren't getting any worse and the hope is that since my previously very valgus leg was straightened- there is much less wear and tear on the unoperated parts.

I can happily walk very long distances. I do 10,000 steps daily and easily walk up to 20,000 steps/ day on holidays.

I recently did a steep 500 step climb up to a scenic bridge in a rocky area of Germany known as the Saxony Alps with no problems. I look after my 4 year old grandson regularly and can cope with this fine.

I only run short distances ( like for a bus) and I don't jump or put any twisting forces on my knee.

I was listening to some old 60s music with my grandson and started to demonstrate the Twist- before something told me that this wasn't a great idea...

I have also had slight aching/soreness whenever I have tried water exercises/ aquarobics or group yoga classes. I think the issue is that I was always a bit hypermobile and there is a risk that I could push my very flexible joint too far.

Having said that it feels very solid and entirely natural.

I can kneel pretty freely- although I use thin knee cushions for pilates.

The numb patch has pretty much disappeared. Although there is still an area of slightly altered sensation.

If I accidentally knock it- it is still more unpleasant than the other side but mostly it is unnoticeable.

I still think the peripheral circulation on my operated lower leg is slightly poorer- although I have poor circulation generally and a tendency to Raynauds.

I got a blister on my right foot recently and it took a while to heal. Presumably the inevitable damage to small nerves/ blood vessels never completely recovers.

Overall I am extremely pleased with my PKR and it enables me to do everything that I want and need to do. I am back to long haul travel.

There is a debate about how long PKRs and particularly the rarer lateral and patellofemoral ones last- but so far the great mobility I have makes me happy with my choice.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Great detailed post, @EalingGran.

As you point out, we have very few BoneSmarties with longterm PKR stories -- which means this will be very helpful to new members who are trying to decide between PKR and TKR.
 
An early Happy Three Year Anniversary to you, EalingGran!
Thanks so much for taking the time to share such a thoughtful and detailed update three years post op. I am sure it will be inspiring and reassuring to many reading here to get a good perspective of the possibilities in their future.
I am happy for you that you're doing so well. Cheers to many more years of enjoying life without knee pain.
@EalingGran
 
Wow, a great comprehensive presentation. And a fabulous outcome!
 
Great update. Glad to hear you are doing so well
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom