Revision THR One year later and still pain in groin

Oh my gosh! Look at you! You did okay, didn't you? I bet your day of rest and icing will help you recover, and if it takes a day or two longer, so be it. :) :-) (: I can't help but wonder,, what DID you wear for shoes? I am almost afraid to ask.. please don't tell me heels.. pleeeaaase... :heehee:
 
@CricketHip I wore a really chunky heal with an orthopedic insert, but had sneakers on for rest of day, minus the one hour of showtime. I think I did ok, she closed the interview saying next steps would be to meet with the rest of the leadership team. It is not my dream job or dream location. But good that I went to at least put myself out there.
It has been my lower back that has been yowling the most past few days. Still deep pain in the hip, but I need to ice my back as well. Which stinks, because I thought after my spine fusion last year, I was done with back pain. Why is it back, no pun intended.
 
I'm sorry you're paying the price somewhat today, but you did it! :yay:
Part of the exhaustion could also be the stress because I'm sure there was some anxiety involved which is draining. I bet all of your parts (back, hip) are learning to function in unison and it's taking some time. Glad you rewarded yourself with hair product and lipstick (my favorite pick me up purchase) Too many shades, not enough days. Enjoy the evening!
@Onestepatatime
 
Aww, Sorry to hear snout the back pain. Im in agreement with Layla, most likely from the hip and the changes in functionality.
My back has bothered me quite a bit with this recovery.
Chunky heels!! But just for “showtime”
Good for you!!
 
@CricketHip did your back pain resolve? I’ve been needing to ice my back more than my hip.

This morning I had a scare. I stretched in my sleep and woke up with that dislocation pain. For 30 min I could not move. I felt my hip literally pop. Before calling 911 I moved to try and sit up and it literally popped back in. I left a message for the surgeon but didn’t hear back yet.

Oh and the company decided to not move forward with me. I am so not surprised because I knew my energy level in the interview was off. I don’t think I will go on another interview until I feel better.
 
Yes, it's getting better, but if I over do my walking or anything else for that matter, I feel it in my low back and SI Joint/right side. The good news is that even if anything flares up? After resting and icing it recovers quickly. Or at least more quickly, if that makes sense.
But you felt a pop and that terrible pain again? I can't imagine how upsetting and frightening that was for you. I think you were wise to call your OS..hopefully you hear back from the office and they get you in for another exam.
That sounds like a good decision to forego the interviewing until you've recovered.. you and your health are your top priority now.
I hope you get some rest tonight.
 
No, I've avoided that one! I fractured my back in a bad accident at age 17 and suffered L1 and L2 compression fractures.. which over the years has caused issues with L3 and L4 and my body is trying to fuse that area on it's own. Cervical spine was injured too and have been told surgery may be in the future. I luckily have had good luck with epidurals, exercise, massage and chiropractic. Probably not what others would do but it is working for me.
How are you feeling tonight? Are you in pain?
 
Avoid spine surgery if you can. My hip is throbbing now. I’ve been having awful issues falling asleep at normal times. :what::whistle::tiredwheel:
 
So sorry. My lower back bothers me too, I’m 3 months out. Hip is doing good but still sore when I wake up. I don’t understand how it can pop out so easily. Dr really needs to look at it.
 
Hopefully you hear from your surgeons office this morning! If it were me, I would call them again if you don't.
I hope you were able to get some comfortable sleep last night :flwrysmile:
 
@Onestepatatime ... at this point, the best thing for you to do is have a heart-to-heart discussion with your surgeon about where to go from here. As many people have told you, including your doctor and Jo, it takes a significant amount of time for your body to heal itself from a dislocation. While I understand and sympathize with your situation of living alone and unemployed, you have been pushing yourself and that sets your healing back.

I know those "little" outings are good for your soul and don't seem like they should cause trouble, but over and over you find yourself in pain for days afterwards. This is your body telling you that you are not ready for that level of activity. Then it resets the healing clock again for you. This is setting your recovery back.

Another issue that jumped out when I reread your thread is that you are having pain when walking even with a cane or a crutch and you're limping. Continuing to do this can also set your recovery back. You're putting a lot of strain on your muscles and joints trying to walk with inadequate walking support. I strongly suggest that you use a walker until you get to the point that walking is not painful. If you look at this as a step backwards, try thinking of it as a means so you will finally be able to take steps FORWARD. Doing what you're currently doing is getting you nowhere.

As long as you're hurting, you need to be taking something that relieves your pain. If taking 1000mg of Extra Strength Tylenol every 6 hours on a schedule won't do that, then at least for a while you'll need to go back on your prescription pain meds. You can use the Tylenol along with a prescription pain med, but you need to tally up the acetaminophen in both to be sure you're not going over the safe level of 4,000mg in any 24 hour period. Allowing yourself to be in pain irritates and inflames tender tissues that are trying to heal. This irritation can cause even more pain. It's a vicious circle really until you break the pain-inflammation relationship with some type of medication.

Hopefully you can get in soon to talk with your surgeon. Lay everything out for him as you've written here in your thread. He needs to know the level of activity you've been undertaking in these weeks since you've seen him and how you feel and hurt afterwards. He should have advice and options for whatever the next step might be.

Please let us know how things go. I am very concerned for you and the situation you find yourself in right now. I cannot imagine how mentally stressful all this must be for you. Please lean on your BoneSmart family when you need to talk things through or vent. You have a caring group of friends here who will support you.
 
I was also very concerned last night when I read about your temporary dislocation and relieved that it reduced spontaneously. Now, I am looking for news that you’ve getting appropriate escalation from your surgeon’s office. I can only imagine how demoralizing yesterday was for you, given the context.

I think Jamie has given you very sound counsel about the best way to pick up the proverbial pieces and make a fresh start in your recovery. Please let us know that your doctor recommends and know we are pulling for you through this difficult time.
 
@Onestepatatime
Sorry to hear you have to live with this constant fear of dislocating. I sure hope things start getting better for you. You seem to be taking it well, and keeping the faith. I don't know if I could be so brave.....as you...
 
@Jamie
Thank you so much for the candid and very caring feedback. Honestly it’s exactly what I need to hear. I’m having obviously a hard time on structuring my days and dialing back on what I do. It’s a reality check to hear how I’ve been is very concerning. I have an appointment with my surgeon Tuesday morning. Right now the back pain is really bad.
The nurse for my surgeon doesn’t want me taking more than 3 Percocet a day. And I take Tylenol with them and Celebrex in am and pm. Lots of ice and heat.
I’m open to any and all suggestions!
:shrug::sos::scare::beg:
 
You don't indicate how much Tylenol (acetaminophen) you're taking with the Percocet. Each Percocet has 325mg of acetaminophen in them, so you must tally that into your doses so that you don't exceed the 24-hour limit of 4000mg. You might be better off to stagger the doses where you're taking a Percocet every 6 hours or so and spacing 3 1000mg Tylenol doses throughout the day. I'd save the Percs for nighttime when you want to try and sleep well. I'm assuming you're using that heat on your back and that's good. I'll be happy to hear you've broken out that walker too....:heehee:. It really will help with your walking.
 
Hi @Onestepatatime
Hopefully you're having a nice weekend. Stopping by to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary on your revision. I understand you're not where you want to be right now, but with lots of rest and TLC, you'll get there. I'm sorry you're struggling with back pain, hopefully it eases up soon.
Best of luck for your appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday, please let us know how it goes.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful Sunday.
 
Hi@Layla,
Thanks so much. So far Sunday is ok. Got up, did some light arm exercises (trying to at least keep the flab under control there) and just hanging around. It is a cloudy day, if it gets sunny I will go read by the pool for a bit. Last two days it is open for the season. I feel the need to plan my days, which is a big part of my problem with recovery. The lack of structure and boredom, as everyone knows, sucks. If walking was not an issue, I would take this opportunity to get a dog. I am really trying to bring my focus inward on healing, not on what I am missing out on because I need to heel. All my friends are going to a winery today, and of course I wish I was going! It is a bit lonely, but it is what it is.
I appreciate you checking in, so nice! Hope all is well with you!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi@Jamie,
I will follow your idea of the percocet spread out. Yes, I am using heat on my back at night, and lidocaine patches on areas that hurt the most. I woke up today pain free in my back, so that is awesome. Yep, using the walker around my house, which is not that big. I just do not know what to do with my days to pass the time. I was saying to Layla I want a dog, if I can walk. We are allergic to cats so cant do that. I cannot seem to strike a balance on my days. Obviously I know I cannot do a full day out somewhere prob for next 4 weeks. Tuesday morning is the surgeon.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom