TKR One year kneeversary

I wear Birkenstocks and Haflingers. My feet are problem feet - a minor version of club feet with high arches and hammer toes. Those really are the only two shoes I have found that work. Because of the hammer toes it is hard to find enclosed toe shoes that work. The closed Birks are not tall enough in the toe for me, but the Haflingers are. Thankfully, they have wool versions so I have something to wear in the winter. If we had much snow here, I'd be in trouble. I think the feet and the modifications I have had to do to walk over the years have not helped with the knee problems. The right foot and knee have always been the worst.

Pheebs52 - limber means bendy like a gymnast - something I am not!
 
I think my current shoes are working for now, I have been taking notes on what ones are Smartie recommended.:loveshwr:
 
FINALLY got my new sandals today (amazon must not have been aware of my kneeversary yesterday). As soon as I'm done icing I'm going to try them out. I know one thing, they will definitely smell better than the old ones!
 
I hope your new shoes help your knees. How is your knee getting on?
 
@keefsmom, what color did you get? They were probably late in arriving because they had to deliver mine first, hahahaha!
 
I thought I ordered navy but they're black--which is fine. They are so comfy!
@Celle im Ok, thanks for asking. I feel like I'm entering a new phase where nothing very exciting happens from day to day, nothing to complain about, but also that feeling of impatience, just wanting to be more able and not feel like there's a sack of cement sitting on top of my knee! But I know it's a long haul...so trying to be patient!
 
@keefsmom, I like them so much I'm tempted to get another pair.:happydance:

The sack of cement does get tedious, however, there's hope. Mine has lightened up quite a bit in the last week, so can't really complain. Now it's more like a half-sack.:yahoo:

Did you find a new PT yet or are you going it alone?
 
I finished up with the one who I bossed around initially...we came to an understanding. Next Monday I begin with another therapist in my neighborhood, which is great, but I'm not looking forward to having to train another one! I'm going to try and up my distance walking between now and then if the heat doesn't get too bad!
 
Oh nooo, more training! Now that is tedious; pffft! Then again, who knows, maybe this one will be more in synch with Bonesmart and your own recovery philosophy.

Have any of your therapists done some massage? I really have found that very beneficial.

Speaking of walking, I was told today to try walking a "fine line," basically a perp-walk style for a DUI, lol. This is to train my brain (?) or my knee, perhaps both (?) to place more weight on the new knee side. I was ever so graceful as you can well imagine. I was also instructed to take longer strides to improve extension. Twice this week, my guy has been placing heat on my cementy quad for 10 minutes BEFORE any leg extensions or heel slides.....such a difference! Why did he wait so long for this treatment though? *Scratching head*

It's been very hot and humid here so I can just imagine what you are up against; pffft! How far have you been able to walk with no negative ramifications? I was told to keep it down to 15 minutes for now, but that is probably due to my swelling and ROM issues. YMMV.
 
I don't think I've topped 15 mins but I haven't been doing it regularly, mostly because of the heat. I do pedal for about 10 mins 3 or 4 times a day--figured out a fairly stable position for the apparatus on the living room carpet.
Lying awake now because I'm trying not to take another Percocet! My guilty confession is that I've been using the percs to knock me out and put me to sleep, even though my pain level is really low, and I'm thinking I need to drop that practice. I agree with wisdom here that swelling and discomfort are pain symptoms too, but I really don't think my level of discomfort justifies two doses of my 5-325 percocets each night (I don't take them at all during the day). Anyone want to convince me otherwise? Cuz the truth is, I kind of love drifting off peacefully under the influence, but Im running low on them would feel like a bit of a fraud asking for more pain meds at my follow up on Monday!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pheebs52 i am so glad to hear that you are getting some relief from using the heat on your quads! I wouldn't call what the PT has done with me massage, mostly she mashes my scar brutally in service of breaking up scar tissue. It doesn't tickle but it's bearable and I have noticed a difference in the tightness around the scar. One time she did massage my hamstring area behind the knee and that was great, so I think I will be asking for more if that in future--the one time I got to 110 flexion was right after that hamstring massage! Today I only got to 100 but I'm not complaining and not letting the OS complain about it either!
 
@keefsmom, my guy actually does real massage on the quads and hamstrings, along with some kneecap/incision *stuff* that is done very lightly. I can't exactly classify the kneecap *stuff* as massage, but it's not brutal in any sense of the word, just odd at worst.

I hope you are actually deep into some zzz's right now, though I am not; pfft! I woke after 3 hours sleep with some stiff, throbbing achiness, but find that to be the norm on the night of a PT day. I'm certainly in no position to advise anyone on Rx med use, but fully understand the need for a deep sleep that I cannot seem to achieve without 10 mg of Oxy at bedtime. I take them an hour before bed and am not generally in any severe pain at that time. If I didn't take them, (tried it) there's no question I'd be waking every two hours or so with stiff, achy discomfort and often muscle spasms in the hamstrings. At just 4 weeks post-op, I don't think this is unusual and I don't feel any guilt for needing them right now, especially at bedtime and wake-up.

My daytime use is typically limited to 5 mg of Oxy at roughly 8 hour intervals. All this to say, perhaps you could ask your OS for a step-down med like Tramadol? Many people here seem to have great results with the Tramadol/Tylenol routine. I wish I could take it, but cannot. In my case, I think a muscle relaxer would be very helpful at night and perhaps that with Tylenol would be sufficient for a good night's sleep. I am definitely going to have that conversation with my OS soon, perhaps on Monday. My biggest incentive (beyond bowels) to get off the Oxy is the driving issue. I am definitely ready to drive and would be if I could rid myself of them during daytime hours.
 
Wow, you are doing a lot of pedal work; brava! I can definitely see how the heat is hampering your walking efforts. Are you driving yet? If so, perhaps a drive to a mall or large store with A/C would allow you some comfortable, non-sweaty walking time? Pedaling is great for a lot of reasons, but walking is what really improves our gait and extension. It also helps us sleep better; win/win!
 
It's probably a good idea to find another way to drift off to sleep, since you're not using the meds for pain control. I know the temptation, though. It's such a nice pleasant feeling. Percocet does that for me, too. My OS prescribed Oxycontin, though, for my pain, and that stuff kills pain but I find it otherwise nasty, so ditching it for Tylenol was an easy decision. I've been tempted to use muscle relaxers (I have them for my occasional back pain) because those also knock me out with pleasant driftiness, but... I'm not sure how they and my knees would get along. I don't suppose they'd interact at all. Then again, who knows? Have you tried Tylenol PM? That might work for you.

Your thread has inspired me to try doing more pedal work soon. I put a recumbent bike and a floor pedaler on my birthday wish list. Large, heavy packages addressed to Mr. Shoes have arrived mysteriously on my doorstep this week. And I will buy the equipment myself if it turns out he ordered himself a weight bench.
 
OUCH.
The incision has just been a bear for the last few days, looks great, not hot, but so super sensitive!!! Can barely stand to put a blanket on it let alone ice! The PT has been massaging it with a fair amount of pressure but I haven't seen her since Wednesday and the sensitivity just keeps on keeping on!
I am assuming this is just normal healing stuff, mostly I just wanted to complain about it, :tantrum2:but also would like to hear anyone else's experience with this phenomenon.
 
@keefsmom, mine does that off and on, thankfully more off....so far. I did have one night where it was screaming at me all night. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep; aarggh. I'm really not sure what triggers it, but when it acts up, I need to change out of loose pants and wear tight leggings instead. I've even put a band aid on some spots just for the night so I can sleep; pffft!

I know I've seen several suggestions here about rubbing it gently with a soft cloth to desensitize it, but I haven't tried that yet. Then, there's the Saran Wrap solution, but I don't think we are far enough along in the healing process to try that? I could be wrong, but I just don't feel mine is 100% closed as yet. Close....but not totally. I recall an abdominal surgery from years ago where I had the same issue; couldn't stand the sheets or any clothing touching. 'Twas problematic since the surgery was in January; aarggh. Eventually, it stopped, but it took several weeks.
 
Unfortunately, it is normal to have the sensitivity. My PA suggested to let a dish towel rub over it lightly a few times a day. It does work, it just takes a while.
 
Took a look at the Saran Wrap video...things are a bit calmer tonight but keeping it in mind when the scar flares up again, as I'm sure it will.
The last couple of days have been the most difficult of my recovery. Been dipping into the articles here to remind myself that one step forward two back is pretty much the norm with most of us. I was very fortunate n having little to no pain in the weeks just after surgery and didn't really anticipate that my knee would hurt more 5 weeks post op than in the beginning. We're all unique aren't we?
I'm actually looking forward to getting back to work on Tuesday--the plan is for me to work 4 hour days from home next week and ramp up from there. Hoping they will be OK with me working from home for a while, cuz I cannot imagine physically going into the office at this point!
Gave the DH a break from my constant company today, went to a film at the art museum and then attempted to walk through a few galleries. I even Ubered home so he didn't have to pick me up! That was enough activity for the entire weekend, so I'm doing NOTHING tomorrow but sitting in the garden with a book. Hope y'all have a beautiful Sunday.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom