Guest viewing is limited

One week to go...home preps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Starlight. Sorry for the delayed response. I've been in pre-op scurry mode with all the labs, Dr. visits and preps.

Re: the laptop resting on the legs, I am certain that it did not help my hip and probably did a lot of harm. I'll explain...I never had any hip symptoms whatsoever until a year ago. I'm a technical/marketing writer who works from home, and at the time, I was working 10-12 hour days, 6 days a week (I know --yuk!). I had an older laptop that was ~3-4 lbs. which rested on my thighs while I sat in a big comfy chair with my feet on an ottoman. But, I didn't pay enough attention to my posture or body signals. As the long days wore on, I would sometimes work for 3-4 hours without leaving the chair, sinking ever deeper into it. I would stand up afterward and feel stiffness, but wrote it off to "darn long hours!" At the time, I was also training 1-2 hours per day on the ice for a national figure skating competition, so I think the two things combined to really cause some deterioration. The coup de grace was when we moved from a condo into a house with stairs last Spring and I spent two weeks rearranging furniture, lifting things, hanging things, etc. Afterward, I could barely walk.

I'm not sure what your situation is re: the lifting heavy things, etc. (would love to hear) but I can definitely say that when I carry heavy things these days, my hip complains for a while afterward. as for the laptop on the legs, when you think about it, we're not just sitting still when we do that -- between typing and mousing, we're constantly making micro movements, and our hips have to adjust to each one. If there's already damage, well...

Hopefully, I'm smarter today (at least in this area). I'll tell you what I've tried as alternatives to avoid resting the laptop on the legs:
  • Getting up and moving around every half hour (I have a freeware program set on my computer that pops up and says, "Get up!")
  • Changing work locations throughout the day, from kitchen table to desk, to chair
  • Using one of those lap desks with a flat surface and beanbag bottom or using a pillow (this is better than just the laptop because it distributes the weight, but is not ideal because it's still pressing on your legs)
  • Using a breakfast tray to elevate the laptop so it doesn't rest on the legs (works very well for the hips, but logistically, it's a nightmare. Every time you get up, you have to place the tray somewhere, and it's hard to find a configuration that doesn't wobble)
Anyway, I hope that this post helps in some small way, and that you can avoid my mistakes and keep your good hip good!

Cheers,

HHH
 
Good luck Hihiporray and Weezi,
Like you I'm not nervous either, more excited. Will follow you on the other side, please let us know how you are doing.

—Susan
 
Jaycey, Weezi, Designergirl and all my other new hip buddies, thank you for writing in. To everyone who agreed about family and friends not getting it, here's a silver lining. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the eye-opening experience that my live-in boyfriend has when he suddenly finds himself having to take care of everything I do on a daily basis. ("What? You mean the coffee doesn't get ground and made by itself every morning?" and "Out of toilet paper? Armaggeddon!" ) Heehee, anyway, it reminds me to be much kinder to everyone I meet because you just never know what someone else is going through. We're all broken in some way, even if it doesn't show up in a limp.

Like all of you, I'm grateful for the simple pleasures like the walk around the block and I'm looking forward to the freedom of traipsing up the hill to our local market without looking like a primate.

Weezi, I am glad to hear you're ready and not nervous. Yay! As for family humor, my boyfriend asked if I would leave the prosthesis to him in my will so that he could sell it for scrap metal if anything happened. LOL! Sick, but kinda funny. And, thanks for the warning about the Hurry Cane's noise when it falls. I'm sure it will scare the bejeezus out of our dog.
 
I'm kind of looking forward to being waited on and pampered a bit. A bit of a break from a busy life of work, appointments, cleaning, etc.

—Susan
 
Hey Hiphip,
Thanks so much! I am so ready, I'm not even nervous about it anymore. I am so uncomfortable that I would glady go today if I could. Since I started using a cane my pelvis has tilted and my affected leg is obviously shorter than my good one. That Hurrycane will startled you when it falls over the first few times so I'm just warning you since you have hard wood floors. It definitely made me jump a few times. :heehee: It falls over because the foot is small so you have to make sure its standing by itself before you let go. I have used it constantly though. It has a spring loaded joint at the base so it has a nice give when your walking that stick canes don't. My husband and kids make fun of me because they can hear me coming when I use that cane. Nothing like a little good humor when your disabled, gotta love family. LOL! I will definitely keep you guys posted on the "whats to come". I wish you well too and will keep and eye on your posts.

Talk to you soon,
Weezi
When is your surgery? I see feb 5 and feb 13 on different posts. My hospital sent me home with a "hip kit" which includes this grabber and plastic channel thing with non-knot ropes for getting socks on. I use Crocs to walk. The "Specialist" models hold tight to feet while still ez on and off. I also have a pair of ez on and off Croc boots. This link shows a hip kit: broken link removed: https://www.mtsmedicalsupply.com/Hip-Kits/1256/HK1000/?affid=7&gclid=CIiWlNu7lbUCFQLd4AodMyAAVQ
 
I really could use the sock-getter-on thing right now. I didn't want to purchase it now, since the hospital told me that they would be giving me one. Guess I will just have to have my husband help with sock duty.
 
Hi hiphiphorray

Your posts have been making me giggle. You sound like a top shopper like me. I think you should put go faster stripes on the side of your stand alone walker. These will look smashing along side the streamers.......everyone will be sooo jealous!
I'm now 4wks post op and would like to pass on some helpful tips that might be useful to you.

*You MUST have a grabber. It has been invaluable. You can pick up anything from a penny(dime in your neck of the woods), to books, cushions, bags etc. I used mine to help me get dressed in the early days. Also very good for scratching those unreachable parts.
*CUSHIONS - Hope you've got loads around the house. Excellent for propping up every part of your body. Cushions are a must!
*A back pack - to carry all your bits and pieces around with you......Meds, books, phone, iPad, knitting(oh yes!!?...using this time to knit myself a Chiefs scarf.....The Chiefs are our local rugby team), etc. Also invaluable.
*You might not need this and I didn't when I had my first hip replaced but this time round I've hired from the local Red Cross a toilet frame that helps you lower to and raise from the loo(still using that one!).
I was a little concerned when you mentioned your futon. Not quite sure how you're going to get on and off that without breaking the 90degree rule. I'm only just able to lie on our low cutchy sofa(oh the joys). I can get down but Hubby/kids have to help me up, so I can't lie on it when I'm home alone. Be careful.

Your boyfriend is going to love and appreciate you BIG TIME lady!!! I waited 16yrs to hear the words 'I couldn't do what you do. How do you find the time to do everything?' And even better.....'I couldn't do your job'.........YEEEHAA!!!! Music to my ears(I'm a full time Mum and 1950's styled housewife with some voluntary work in the community thrown in for good measure......works for us!).

I have been dipping in and out of this forum for many years and it still surprises me how many youngsters there are in our position. This forum has been my best friend at times because its full of people that can not only sympathise but they can empathise too. You'll be supported by people who can help you with pretty much anything. Whatever you go through you can be sure you won't be the only one. So don't ever feel you're out there on your own. We are all amazing!!! ; )

I'll be thinking about you on Thursday and look forward to seeing you on the other side as they say.

Keep smiling funny girl....not long now.

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxxx
 
When is your surgery? I see feb 5 and feb 13 on different posts
Hey, Hippy12! Weezi's surgery is scheduled for TODAY, Feb 5th. We're all wishing her well.

DesignerGrl aka Susan, I agree about our looking forward to the pampering. My boyfriend unfortunately was not born with that gene so it will be interesting to see whether he rises to the occasion with or without prodding from my grabber. :) Yesterday, we had "the talk," that is, he will either have to shave my legs for a while or deal with the Sasquatch effect that he sees down there.

Time is flying by, and your op date will be here before you know it. Wishing you a very smooth one.
 
Hi hiphiphorray
Hi hiphiphorray

Your posts have been making me giggle. You sound like a top shopper like me. I think you should put go faster stripes on the side of your stand alone walker. These will look smashing along side the streamers.......everyone will be sooo jealous!
I'm now 4wks post op and would like to pass on some helpful tips that might be useful to you.

*You MUST have a grabber. It has been invaluable. You can pick up anything from a penny(dime in your neck of the woods), to books, cushions, bags etc. I used mine to help me get dressed in the early days. Also very good for scratching those unreachable parts.
*CUSHIONS - Hope you've got loads around the house. Excellent for propping up every part of your body. Cushions are a must!
*A back pack - to carry all your bits and pieces around with you......Meds, books, phone, iPad, knitting(oh yes!!?...using this time to knit myself a Chiefs scarf.....The Chiefs are our local rugby team), etc. Also invaluable.
*You might not need this and I didn't when I had my first hip replaced but this time round I've hired from the local Red Cross a toilet frame that helps you lower to and raise from the loo(still using that one!).
I was a little concerned when you mentioned your futon. Not quite sure how you're going to get on and off that without breaking the 90degree rule. I'm only just able to lie on our low cutchy sofa(oh the joys). I can get down but Hubby/kids have to help me up, so I can't lie on it when I'm home alone. Be careful.

Your boyfriend is going to love and appreciate you BIG TIME lady!!! I waited 16yrs to hear the words 'I couldn't do what you do. How do you find the time to do everything?' And even better.....'I couldn't do your job'.........YEEEHAA!!!! Music to my ears(I'm a full time Mum and 1950's styled housewife with some voluntary work in the community thrown in for good measure......works for us!).

I have been dipping in and out of this forum for many years and it still surprises me how many youngsters there are in our position. This forum has been my best friend at times because its full of people that can not only sympathise but they can empathise too. You'll be supported by people who can help you with pretty much anything. Whatever you go through you can be sure you won't be the only one. So don't ever feel you're out there on your own. We are all amazing!!! ; )

I'll be thinking about you on Thursday and look forward to seeing you on the other side as they say.

Keep smiling funny girl....not long now.

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxxx

I LOVE your ideas, Queenie and your reply made me laugh, too. "Go Faster -- LOL!" I hope your post-op continues to go well.My gosh -- 4 weeks! You are almost at the elephant-riding, downhill skiing stage! It sounds like you have plenty of help, and I'm glad your husband had an epiphany. As for my boyfriend, sigh, my only concern is that he has a vastly different acceptable cleanliness threshold for the household. My crystal ball shows visions of dog-hair tumbleweeds and dishes stacked to oblivion [shudder] so I'm looking into hiring a temporary house cleaner.

I'm typically not that into shopping, but I am into being a control freak, so this *opportunity* sent me into a whirl of preps in an attempt to feel like I have it together. Underneath it all, I'm more like a cat tossed into water. But, I'll continue to focus on the positive aspects and try to maintain a sense of humour to get through it. Case in point, I believe that I qualify for a job with the Ministry of Silly Walks. John Cleese has nothing on my sidewalk lurch, hump & slide gait.

The hospital promises to give me a grabber and toilet raiser, and I'm quite looking forward to the grabber. I wondered if it could be used as a dressing aid, so thank you for answering that question. BTW, I also went out and bought a small collection of knee-length straight knit skirts that I can put on from over my head and slide down. I won't be winning any fashion awards but it seemed to make sense for both dressing and going to the loo.

Yes, to the cushions! I somehow amassed a collection worthy of an Arabian Nights harem room in my lifetime, and now I know there's a reason for their existence. Re: the futon, thanks to my short forelegs, my legs are right at the sacred 90 degree-angle when I sit on it as its lying flat. As a precaution, I ordered a memory foam topper that will add 3-4 inches to it, so hopefully it will be OK. Thanks for the warning about getting up and down off of it.

I love this forum, too, and connecting with people like you. Thanks for posting and hope to report back with good news, post-op!

Cheers,

HHH
 
I'm actually getting my legs waxed before surgery. Even though I've been married to my husband for almost 34 years, I don't think I could ask him to shave my legs. 20 years ago I broke my leg and had to be waited on for almost everything. He actually went to the store and purchased tampons for me. That gives him a get-out-of-shaving-my-legs card this time.
 
Thanks for your nice and helpful reply, HHH, and no apologies! You must be super busy. I've enjoyed reading this thread and your and everyone's responses. I too don't like shopping, but I do like being in control of my situation. I am not waiting for the hospital's sock thing and putting on your pants thing. I need those now! I would love to hear all about grabber-reachers. I need one, anyway. I tried some out at a hardware store and none of them seemed like they would pick up anything as heavy as a book, but maybe I'm wrong.

As for wondering about cause and effect, since I do carry heavy things (I'm in sales) and have done that for decades, I have worried if it caught up with me; if all the added weight did me in. I have bought so many carry-alls and tote bags, all with different straps, shapes, sizes. None of them fancy. But anything to redistribute the weight and frankly nothing really works except those rare times when I am walking around the city with nothing but a light purse. Which is practically never.

Cushions--that's a great idea.

Humor--dark humor, any kind of humor. That is essential! Am I the only one who has vast mood swings when trying to figure out all of this stuff? I find myself one minute being filled with fear and despair. Then I go online to check out grabbers, sock things, etc., and I see a long-handled thing to wipe your butt with and that just makes me laugh like a crazy person. Because it really is a great idea! You have to laugh at this stuff, you just do.
I had a high pressure sales rep the other day on the phone trying to get me to buy a toilet riser with arms, etc., that very minute. I was stifling a laugh as I told him I'd have to "sleep on it."

Good luck to everyone! Thanks for the wonderful posts.
 
Hi hiphiphorray

I dare say you're running around like a mad thing sorting last minute bits and pieces before tomorrow. Just wanted to wish you luck and let you know I'll be thinking about you.

Queenie xxxx
 
A mad thing on one leg, Queenie -- I'm quite the sight. Thank you for the good wishes. 'Looking forward to being on the other side of it. :happydance:

xxxx - HHH
 
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW, HHH!
I will keep you in my thoughts!
You seem like you have a great attitude and have all your ducks in a row.
All the best!
 
Good Luck and don't forget to rest, and make sure you have pain control. Also don't forget the ice. Tashia
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom