Guest viewing is limited

THR one week post op

Hi @Stanno23 . Great to read your swelling is coming down. :ice: and more :ice: and keeping my legs up in the recliner or on the bed really helped, interspersed with short walks.
I am 58, was very active with three horses, dogs, riding, hiking and farm life until the OA sidelined me. Still active up to surgery, but really dragging from the OA. I was considered "low risk" for clots, so I was told, so although they had the compression leg things on me in hospital overnight (went home day after surgery), I came home with having to take two baby aspirin per day and move my feet around when sitting. No stockings, for which I am grateful!!!

Every day gets better, but also, the recovery isn't always a straight trajectory, and it zigs and zags a bit. Don't be surprised by that. @Laylay suggests measuring it by the week, as that way one sees a big difference from week to week, vs. day to day. I found that helpful.
 
@Alitm thanks for the advice the bags of peas go down a treat!

Are you hopeful of getting back to doing everything that you done before?

Yeah can imagine recovery won't be straight forward nothing ever is!
 
Last edited:
Hi
I had no compression socks and had a swollen ankle for around three weeks. It would be fine first thing but within an hour had swollen up. When it got to the point I could not wriggle my toes I went back to bed and elevated with ice pack on hip and ankle. It was pretty annoying but did get better. If I walk around a bit too much if puffs up even now but rarely. I think within a month you will see quite an improvement...

Hope it all goes well for you.
 
Early days friend.
Keep the icing and baby steps and ebb and flow of this recovery business ...and IF you are patient...you'll be back to life better than ever!:ice:
Hope your weekend is sweet!:tada:
 
Hi @Stanno23 Slowly but surely I'm getting back, walking with walking poles as of two days ago. I'm sure you'll get there faster than me as you are younger! I'm having my second him done in four weeks, from today. After that I plan to get back to my active lifestyle, slowly of course!
 
Also im only 33 was just wondering if there is/has been many young people on the site?

I am 42 (as of last week)... so not quite as young. Had a scope before, same as you (FAI), but that we at 34. Hope your recovery continues to progress smoothly. There will likely be some setbacks along the way, but don’t let them discourage you... all part of the process.

Cheers
 
When will I get a full night's sleep????

2 and half weeks in and I'm feeling good I've stuck to exercises (which I thought would be tough because I was so fit before I thought I would push myself too far too soon) I've cut down on painkillers now and still icing regular throughout the day,
during the day I am fine it isn't a pain just uncomfortable and at night I only get around 3 hours sleep where I am woken up by pain in my glute
Has any tried a handheld massager on their leg?
 
No...but I won't depress you by telling you how long it took me to get a good night's sleep.:sigh:
Those quads do take a bit to settle!
All temporary...but certainly frustrating!
Hope all eases soon!:yes:
 
Last edited:
@Mojo333 no don't tell me, I've got a cbd tea bag to try tonight see if that gives me some relief
 
Happy Saturday....hope yours is good so far.
I'll bet you get more sleep soon as your pain begins easing.
You are in very early days of recovery. You seem to be doing well.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
@Stanno23
 
@Layla yeah chilling watching football ⚽ all day great excuse this hip replacement

Feeling really good just now (apart from sleep) I know it's early and not everything's straight forward but promising progress, SO glad the old pains away been a long time coming roll on 2019 when I'll be at the 12 week mark and get back to the gym and hopefully a bit of running and football in the future
 
Will be 4 weeks this Wednesday and just had my first full night's sleep last night!!!

I know a lot of people don't advise PT, being pretty fit before the op I've now lost a lot of muscle down my right leg, I know it's still early but when's a good time to go back and start building up the muscle, I am still doing daily walking and all the given exercises
 
I know it's still early but when's a good time to go back and start building up the muscle
Think of it this way - when would you go back to the gym and train if you had suffered an injury? Right now that hip does not need any training. Take the time to let all the muscles and soft tissues heal. Once all is settled, then you can train.

Take a look at the chart in this thread (post #3) Healing: how long does it take?
 
When will I get a full night's sleep????

2 and half weeks in and I'm feeling good I've stuck to exercises (which I thought would be tough because I was so fit before I thought I would push myself too far too soon) I've cut down on painkillers now and still icing regular throughout the day,
during the day I am fine it isn't a pain just uncomfortable and at night I only get around 3 hours sleep where I am woken up by pain in my glute
Has any tried a handheld massager on their leg?

I use the a Tiger Tail. It’s awesome. I would worry about losing muscle. My PT told me you don’t actually lose muscle (as in true atophy) that quickly unless you are starving yourself. Strength and muscle tone yes, but those come back very quickly.

Cheers
 
Also a young gun on this forum, 36 yo with posterior approach on oct 24th. For young patients we tend to over do it too fast and have more demands from the hip
In general because usually the other joints are in pretty good shape.

My OS liked ted hose so still got those on and xeralto for 2 weeks followed by ASA. Younger and no other comorbid conditions make it less likely and you are probably out the woods now.

For training you do get deconditioned fast so keep it low and slow at first but if your feeling better Your OS and PT would probably encourage it.
 
To further @amb3k9 's point, my OS told me very clearly that young males are the most challenging patients. Tissue regeneration happens at a set rate... the more you cut, the longer it takes to heal. More muscle and bigger bones mean's more tissue is disturbed. My OS is the expert, so I will take him at his word.

Cheers
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom