Guest viewing is limited

TKR One Week Post-op and so Glad I Did It

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one odd physical reaction following the surgery. I keeps feeling like a piece of tissue (nearest thing I can think of as a comparison) catches on the underside of my rib cage. Maybe like a hernia would be? It's on the unoperated knee side. Anyone ever feel such a thing? It's lessening and doesn't seem so inflamed. I don't even know how to describe to doctor on Tuesday.
 
I keeps feeling like a piece of tissue (nearest thing I can think of as a comparison) catches on the underside of my rib cage. Maybe like a hernia would be?
In the UK we'd call it a 'stitch' but nothing to do with sutures! If we ran too hard or something, we'd get a similar sensation. Can be quite sharp at times but will go away eventually. I don't think it's anything to do with your surgery. Just coincidental. And I found this explanation on Google!

The medical term for a side stitch is “exercise-related transient abdominal pain,” and the words tell us as much about the condition as anyone knows. Side stitches occur during physical exertion (usually running or walking briskly). They're transient. They affect the abdominal area to the right of the navel. And they hurt.

Dr. Lewis Maharam, writing in Runner’s World, says that side stitches are likely to be caused by the pumping action of the legs putting pressure on the diaphragm from below, while rapid breathing expands the lungs and puts pressure on the diaphragm from above. This “dual pinching” effect shuts off the flow of blood and oxygen, and causes pain, cramps or both.

Other researchers believe that side stitches are caused by stretching the ligaments that extend from the diaphragm to the liver. When a runner or walker pounds the surface while breathing in and out, he or she stretches these ligaments, and that causes the pain.

A third theory is that eating a lot of food or fatty food, in particular, before exercise may cause stress on the diaphragm.

The truth is that no one knows for sure what causes the pain, but it's real and there are some things you may be able to do about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom