TKR One Week Post-op and so Glad I Did It

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again Tina,
We are very much at the same stage - I had my TKR on Jan 11th. I am also totally without energy, just showering, dressing and doing my 'bed' exercises is enough for me, so I have a morning nap, and then I can drop off at anytime whilst reading or watching TV, luckily not when friends visit, which makes me think it is probably boredom rather than true tiredness. Now I'm doing a little more I'm trying to balance my Tramadol and paracetamol (Tylenol I think). I have been without pain up til this week, but the last couple of days have been pretty uncomfortable. Unfortunately my left knee is fed up with taking the strain and is really playing up. It will need to be replaced as well, but I was hoping it would last a few more months. I have a cortisone injection booked for three weeks time, under ultrasound, so hopefully that will help.
Hope you feel much better soon.
 
Tina, did you read all those articles Kelly left for you. It would appear to me that you mightn't have. If so, you should go back and read them now because most of what you've posted about is addressed in them.
 
Your're very early in the healing process - I think you should be just sitting (or lying) around a lot of the day! Your body needs to rest and recover. You have the rest of your life to be busy and getting things done. Try to enjoy this time to just relax and read or watch movies or nap. I realize that's hard for lots of folks but I think it's just what you need. Soon enough you can go back to bustling around if you take care of yourself now. Patience seems to be one of the most difficult parts of the recuperation process. I hope I can remember all this good advice when it's my turn.:loll:

I really hope you continue to do well in your recovery. :kittykiss:
 
Thank you, all. I have read the articles, and they are a wonderful help. I guess I just need reassurance from those who are going through the same thing. My doctor wants me off the Norco, (I think it's a fear of liver damage from the Tylenol in the pill. My husband is a pharmacist, and he says the Tylenol is considered more dangerous than the remote possibility of addiction). I think I want to switch to Tramadol as maybe it will eliminate my nausea and shakiness I'm experiencing.
 
Sure, the PT is a bit painful, but leaves me feeling great.
Please take a look at the forum articles and mantras that were posted---never let anybody hurt you or allow you to be in pain---take your exercises only to the point of discomfort and no further---you will be happier with what your knee feels like and how much more progress may be gained.

I seem it have picked up a clicking sensation in the new knee, and that concerns me, but it doesn't hurt.
This all perfectly normal and to be expected---your soft tissue (what was left of it, anyway) has bee literally sawed off---and has been replaced with metal and plastic. This clunking, thunking, etc will slowly disappear as your muscles gain thir strength back.

I had the same thing happen to me in stereo, as I had a BTKR---when I went back to school, my students could sometimes hear my knees as I walked around the classroom!

I'm most concerned with my total lack of energy, a feeling of shakiness, and lack of appetite
Well, you are on pain meds---pretty serious pain meds, and that will take away some of your energy---and you have sustained some major surgical trauma, and your body is sending large amounts of energy to the healing process in your surgical knee.

I am resting, using heat
Are you using heat on the knee joint itself? I would not use heat on a swollen knee---heat makes the body send more fluid to an affected area---ice is your best friend right now. Heat will actually help to inflame the knee joint itself.

Later on, when your knee is further along, you can use heat to warm up the muscles so that yo can get in a good stretching session.

Remember, this recovery gig is a marathon and not a sprint---you have to be in this (as if you have a choice!) for the long haul---it cannot be sped up, so just take your time and be patient.
 
I also switched to Tramadol at three weeks---I could drive and did not have a fuzzy head.
 
Thanks, referee54' for the encouragement. I need to make it clear that I have never used heat on my knee. Just elevate and ice. I used heat on my extremely sore calf, which was actually more painful than my knee at that time. A heat and than cold regimen really helped with sore and swollen calf muscle. Dr. ordered an ultrasound to make sure there was no blood clot, and said blood had probably leaked into the muscle during surgery, but I think the tourniquet was the cause and the cutting off of the blood supply for 90 minutes. It's much better now.
 
I, too, feel like my recovery is up and down. Some days are good - some days not so good. I am just happy I can walk - not in wheelchair.

I joked that it sounded like I had a toolbox in my new knee. The sounds have really died down as my muscles have strengthened. There is an article in the Library about this: "Clicking/Clunking In Knee Joint".

Seriously, do not worry about the ROM numbers - that will come with time. DONT let a PT push you too far too fast. Dont let a PT undo all the good work your surgeon did.

It takes a while to get your energy back. Your body has just been through a MAJOR trauma.

Read and reread all of the articles sent to you from the BoneSmartie experts.
 
Dr [...] said blood had probably leaked into the muscle during surgery, but I think the tourniquet was the cause and the cutting off of the blood supply for 90 minutes
No, he's correct. It's called compartment syndrome, a fancy name for what you just said. Very painful.
 
Thank you, Josephine. I'm glad to get that cleared up. I did notice that bruises appeared on my calf as the swelling went down. The nurse said that might happen. My calf is no longer inhibiting my stretching exercises.
 
Some of those are spectacular and very nasty.
 
Six Weeks Post-Op!

I had my six week check up this past week and all is going great. I love my physical therapy and feel energized afterwards. Doctor says everything is right on schedule. I felt so good that I went shopping and overdid it! That put me behind a few days, but I learned my lesson. Now that my replaced knee is healing so nicely, I suddenly feel my other knee again. I'd forgotten what bad condition it was in, and I'm feeling it again. Give me about nine months and I'll opt for having the second knee replaced and hope it goes as well as this one has.
 
I felt so good that I went shopping and overdid it! That put me behind a few days, but I learned my lesson
It didn't put you behind, just held you up a little. Negative input is bad! :wink:
 
You're right, Josephine. Positive thinking is vital to the whole process.
 
I had the second knee replaced on Monday, June 2, and am now home recovering. This one seems more painful, swollen, and bruised. I found out that my doctor had to do a 14% correction. I had a badly bowed leg, and now I'm knock-kneed. This is going to be a harder rehab. The surgery was over 3 hours, instead of the 45 minutes to an hour it usually takes.




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
will your knock knee straighten out? I was also very bowed in both knees prior to surgery. My doctor straightened my legs and I am I think I am just as thrilled :happydance:that I have straight legs as I am happy to now be pain free. Being bow legged was to me was very depressing as a woman.
 
Mine was done the 2nd as well. I just thew up after getting cleaned dressed etc. I'm having too much trouble with finding the fine line between pain meds and pain relief. I will try more elevation and iceing to offset this.
 
@truckinguy I had that same problem the whole time I was in the hospital and didn't get it straightened out until the 2nd week. They will eventually find a combination of pain meds that work for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom