TKR One down, one to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surgery fast approaching. I know I'm stressing. Went to PT with my shorts on backwards. •_•


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
@Dosbichons @crazycats @Epic_Ed @madinana @tired wife @msmechanic58 @kneeper @JustJeff @cafecortado

Made it through!! RTKR on 21 July, exactly 3 months after LTKR. Things seem so much better this time. I talked to the anesthesiologist about the first surgery. I lost weeks of memory and remember almost nothing of my hospital stay. I cried a lot and had no ability to concentrate and my energy was depleted to almost nothing.

Well, he must have listened! I woke up just two hours after surgery and felt strong and awake! I stayed two nights in hospital and came home. PT released me after 3 sessions. Extension -1, and flexion 71.

Very gentle movements. I said "no" to the "put an ice pack and 5 lb weight on knee while heel is on chair rim" exercise. I said I'd work another way to get extension. Meds also different. Taking Percocet 1-2 tablets every 4 hours as needed (7.5/325). That is the same, but they added one OxyContin 20 mg to take 2 times a day. Very little pain breaking through and I'm sleeping better!

My left knee has performed like a champ. I haven't even needed to ice it. PLUS, the new bandage was used enabling me to take a shower right away. Last time there was too much bleeding and it had to be removed in favor of another dressing. No showers for many weeks.

The removal of the catheter was different. My OS used to leave it in for 24 hours, allowing that one night when you didn't have to get up to use the bathroom. He changed that. Now it comes out after just 4 hours. I guess to reduce any risk of infection. I must've gotten up 6 times during the night to use the bathroom. My leg never had a chance to get too stiff. And the techs were so patient. I'm sure, when it is all counted, that that movement helped me.

Thank you to the prayer warriors out there.! Thank you to everyone who offered encouragement and knowledge from their own experiences. There is surely wisdom in much counsel!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
You're off to a great start! Thanks for updating us.
 
@Caloparker So glad you posted and let us know how you are! Glad this experience has been better than your first. Sounds like you are the boss, keep it that way!
 
Carloparker, I had to edit your post as you had so many tags in there and they all got mixed up and added the text of your message in with the tags!

Everybody: when/if you ever see your whole post turn into a blue link like that, if you can't fix it yourself, please call Jamie or me to come do it for you.
 
@Caloparker So glad to hear from you and that it all went so well! I am getting along good, but I am not the most patient person in the world so getting antsy already. :dubious:
 
I will be 4 weeks and 18 weeks post op tomorrow. Back on the recumbent bike and still a little shaky with the cane (sloppy with my left hand). Tapering off pain meds. Sleeping in bed, not recliner anymore. Quad muscles still waking, painful. PT better this time! Changed offices. Less pain, more gain! I really think I'll be able to dance at my son's wedding at end September. One day at a time!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
@Jozilla @71Beetle @Texan &Old Texan
Hi all! Been trying to catch up on all. Sounds like everyone is moving on nicely! Beetle, my scars look like yours! Don't overdo it;
I had my right leg done exactly 3 months after my left one. This one has had a quicker ROM , less swelling, better sleeping, less pain! However, in addition to Percocet, I had a slow release OxyContin for the first two weeks and an adjustment to the general anesthesia - alert much quicker this time. I think the extra meds helped me stay asleep. That rest makes a difference! On the other hand, I am a little slower to get off the walker. I am not sure why. Perhaps it is because I am still learning to trust my left leg. Also, I am unsteady with the cane in my left hand. At this time, mostly I use the cane. During the night, I feel safer with the Walker. I fell about two or three weeks before the second surgery. I don't want to do that again! Praying the best for you! Excited about full recovery!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
@Caloparker Glad you are doing good, Hubby had his second the 6th, 10 weeks after the first. First one he had less pain, but this one has better ROM and it seems like he will be on his crutches longer (crutches are easier in our house than a walker because of the stairs). It is odd how no two knees heal the same! They just added the 12 hour oxycontin to his meds. It is stopping those pain spikes. You have a good day, and remember ice and elevate.
 
@Caloparker So glad to see your update! I had looked for you for awhile hoping to see how you were getting along by now. I knew we had our RTKR on the same day. Sounds like we are also similar in our recoveries. :)

I am also trying to taper down on the pain meds (Percocet). I still ice & elevate a lot! I find myself wobbly on the cane sometimes also & use the walker at night & 1st thing in the morning. Falling is my biggest fear! :yikes: Eek! PT going well & I have a great therapist. ROM is good. Still not driving, but going to practice this week when my daughter is with me. I know what you mean about the quads waking up! That numb area on the outside of my knee is also waking up & causing some deep aching. Have you had that issue?

Thinking ahead & looking forward to full recovery as you are!! We'll get there slow but surely!
 
@Caloparker Excellent update. I believe you will be dancing too. I think Bonesmart's mantras are really working. Lots of great recoveries! I hope my second knee is just as good but do realize no two knees are alike. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Glad to hear from you and as always I wish you all the best!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom