TKR One down, one to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@msmechanic58

Let me know too, if you don't mind. I have PT at 2pm tomorrow, east coast time. I will get their opinion as well. Good night!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
How bizarre! They are both the same thing - just blood blisters. Nothing to worry about. They'll dry out, harden and disappear in a while.

I wish I scarred better. : (
And Carlo, You are only 9 weeks out yet. Don't make that assumption until you are at least 9 months out! After a couple of years you'll see something completely different!
 
My daughter just got married this past weekend. I was 11 weeks post op. Truthfully, I would have had a difficult time at 9 weeks post op. Remember that each knee recovers differently so it is hard to tell I was still way too uncomfortable at 9 weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@msmechanic58
Josephine concurred that they were blood blisters and not to worry. PHys Th concurred, or thought it might be stitches trying to get out. Do you know what happens if stitches get stuck?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
@Josephine
PHys Th concurred that they were blood blisters... or thought it might be stitches trying to get out. Do you know what happens if stitches get stuck?



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Finally, FINALLY, slept all night in my own bed!! Been in guest room almost ten weeks! That way my constant up and down and moving around to get comfortable wouldn't wake my husband, who deals with Rh. A. and already struggles sleeping.
I also switched from Percoset to Tramadol. It seems my skin is less sensitive and I actually wore capris today. I have just really been super annoyed to have anything touch my wound area. I have also taken up the suggestion several posted about lavender scented Epsom salts baths. Just lovely!! I worked half days this past week....my job is 75 min from home so the two and a half hours on the road makes it seem longer. My new knee did fine. Bend and extension good, still working on up and down stairs, especially down. Took ice to work and used it as necessary. Also laid it over my knee for the long drive home. Done for summer! Almost. My July 21 surgery for my RTKR is getting closer and closer. I go back and forth between tears and fears and eager-to-get-on-with-it emotions. Prayers welcomed. : )


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Good luck on the 2nd one. Being a BTKR, I just can't conceive of having one, recovering a bit and then doing it all over again for the 2nd. People tell me I'm brave. Nope! You guys are the brave ones!
 
@JustJeff
My doctor doesn't do them both at same time. Must be at least 3 mos apart. Left knee 4/21.....right knee 7/21.. I don't think I would have had the courage to do both at once. Too much unknown! I could wait until October, but my son is getting married late September and my hope is to be dance ready. ; )
I will also have more help over the summer than when the autumn comes. The first 6 weeks are so uncomfortable. My hope is that I recover as well as the first time....well, even better.
And, Jeff, you are brave. I think it takes a lot of chutzpah to do what you did, and a wee bit of crazy!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
I just didn't want to go do anything like this another time. Or. . I took a gamble and won. Either way, I'm happy (ecstatic) with the results (and a we bit crazy. :) )
 
When people tell me I was brave, I correct them and say it was desperate.
@msmechanic58
I think I am feeling part desperate too. I just want it to be over and final recovery to begin. Still, I am really enjoying sleep again and the freedoms I have regained at this stage. Oh phththththth! : )


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
PT concurred that they were blood blisters... or thought it might be stitches trying to get out. Do you know what happens if stitches get stuck?
They don't get stuck. When it happens, it's just because an internal suture hasn't been cut as short as it should have been (and we're talking below 5mm here) so though the long bit might be tucked down inside the wound at first, it gradually straightens out and peeps out of the wound. IF that should happen, the patient will be aware of the thread, which feels stiff and prickly because it's soaked with dried blood and feels like the end of a guitar string! Treatment is to have a nurse or PA snip the end off with sterile scissors so the wound can heal.
 
PT session lasted over 90 minutes today. My therapist had 120 on the brain. I could bend to 118 and tried several times. I just had to tell her that the number wasn't the most important thing to me.
@Josephine @Texan @nana moon 27 @madinana @JustJeff @Tamsmom @cafecortado @Old Texan @icep707 @ironman60 @kneeper @dogwheels @Phil75070 @Betsy-Knees-7-2014 @hopefaith @JanetK @Celle
Are these routine exercises? Lay on your side with replaced knee leg on top. Then therapist lifts leg, supporting the knee, and bends leg and foot back towards your lower back.
Lay on stomach and therapist lifts leg supporting knee about 4 inches off table bending knee back.
Just curious.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not ones I do. Only bending he does is helping me to pull my foot back while seated.
 
Thanks msmechanic58. These exercises bother me. : (


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum caloparker4/21/14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom