THR On your side now!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, I think what they are talking about is the position of the thigh with respect to the floor. When you stand on both legs, the angle of the thigh is at 0 degrees. As you raise the leg the angle increases - think of the back of the thigh (from hip to knee) as the line that produces the angle. 90 degrees would make the thigh parallel to the ground. So 70 degrees is short of that thigh being parallel.

I'm trying to add a primitive drawing...but it might be too big. I'll work on it.
[Bonesmart.org] On your side now!!
 
Dede, your drawings are worth 1000 words! Since you went to the trouble, here's a scan of the precautions sheet I was given pre-op.

[Bonesmart.org] On your side now!!


They talk about not bending past 100 degrees. Now, that can be confusing because it doesn't show how the angle is measured. If I recall, the PT even said "80 degrees" and meant the same thing. That's why "90 degrees" makes more sense because it's the same any way you measure it and 10 degrees on the safe compared to the above.
 
My os does not normally have his thr patients do physical therapy other than the at home exercises that I was sent home with. What are your thoughts on that? Should I push for him to order some out patient PT or just do the home exercises?
 
Hi lily77

I have merged your latest new recovery thread into this one, this is your primary thread.

We prefer to keep your recovery journey in the one thread for context. It would be very much appreciated if you post your questions in this thread rather than starting up a new one. I have previously merged quite a few threads for you. Hope you understand :)

The reason is that is helps the staff keep your entire recovery in context in the one thread, that way, we don't have to go searching through pages of threads :)

Here in Australia our surgeons leave PT entirely up to the patient once we have been discharged from hospital. So, sorry, can't help you.. but someone from the US will no doubt pop by :)

Thanks.

[Bonesmart.org] On your side now!!
​
 
I didn't realize that every thing I posted from here on out needed to be under this thread. I apologize.
 
lily77 - no need to apologize honey, you are not alone :)
 
Lilly, just read the link and you will understand why this is more convenient for all.

John, we have an article in the Library that does show how it's measured Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule. But I love your chart and have snitched it and added it to that thread!

Sharon, quite a number of hip surgeons don't focus on formal PT at all for the simple reason a) that walking is about the best therapy for hips and b) hips generally have a way of sorting themselves out! Naturally there are people who have lost muscle bulk and tone whilst trying to decide to have it done and then waiting for their date and it's sometimes good for them to have some help to get that back but they are usually in the minority.
 
John, we have an article in the Library that does show how it's measured Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule. But I love your chart and have snitched it and added it to that thread!
I like that chart too because it shows a lot of the situations where you could possibly break the ROM rule. I posted it because Lilly said her OS talked about 70 degrees and my PT said 80 degrees and the chart says 100 degrees. However, 90 degrees is much better because it's more conservative and doesn't matter how you measure it.
 
My os does not normally have his thr patients do physical therapy other than the at home exercises that I was sent home with. What are your thoughts on that? Should I push for him to order some out patient PT or just do the home exercises?
All I have done since surgery is the single-page list of exercises (total of six) that I was sent home with from the hospital, plus have recently added supine leg-lifts. Never saw a physical therapist. My results have been great. And I agree with Josephine's comment above - walking has been the best activity I've done. Too bad about that 6 inches of unplowed snow we have right now ...
 
My appt went fantastic!! I had my 55 staples removed and everyone was so impressed with my progress. Told them I was considering going back to work next week part time and he cleared me to. I have been estatic with my progress! I truly feel great, some incision and muscle pain, but that's it! :)
 
Congratulations Kelsey... Wow 55 staples.. and cleared to go back to work part time - I am so thrilled for you.

You may find that you get some energy drain towards the end of your working day, and if it is an office job, you may get sore from sitting. If this is the case, get up and stretch every 20 mins, it really does make a difference. Also, I took a couple of ice packs in with me and used them when I started to get fidgety.

But well done, you are having a great recovery :)
 
Kelsey, with 55 staples I hope you told your doctor you wanted at least half of the recycling income from all that steel ...
 
Hahaha! There was a bunch! My work is awesome and is willing to work with me on whatever I need, I am very happy about that! I do have a sit down job and can get up and move as needed. Ice packs will definitely travel with me! ;-)
 
Lily77- You are doing awesome. It is so uplifting to hear the great progress our friends are making. We that have upcoming surgeries certainly hope we can enjoy such a speedy recovery.
 
Wow Kelsey, you are doing great! We had our surgeries on the same day, and I am not near ready to go back to work, I get my staples out on Friday. I am still using a walker, are you? Looks like I have alot more pain than you too. I have gone to two PT sessions and have 2 more this coming week. Once I get my staples out, I will start using the pool for therapy. My doctor was pretty persistant that I go to PT. It amazes me how much difference there is between what doctors order.Good luck going back to work and congrats on how well you are doing!
 
Texas Girl I used my walker for 10 weeks.. It is important that you stay with your walking aide until you feel that your muscles are strong enough and that you are not walking with a limp. Practice the 'heel toe' walking this helps with your gait. Wahoo! Getting your staples out is a significant milestone.. :)

lily77 I am so thrilled for your that your work place is so understanding, and it sounds as though you thoroughly enjoy your job.. Imagine when you first walk in and your colleagues see the difference.. Excellent progress :)
 
Thanks Poppet! I was a litrtle worried that I was way behind in progressing. I have not even attempted to walk on my own yet. Just doing the exercises PT gave me. I got on the exercise bike at PT with no resistance. All in all I am doing okay, just going to be a slow process. I am not going to rush anything.
 
55 Staples Kesley, Wow, a scrap weight that is a good chunk of change. Go slow at work and get up within the hour to strech, I find that it helps alot. The energy drain did do a number on me for the first couple of days especailly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom