THR On the road to full recovery...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @Sfina48, I was reading through your posts and yes my hip started doing the same thing, just kind of giving out at times with no warning. I am having bilateral anterior done in January and my Dr told me there are no restrictions. I will be on coudamin for 2 weeks and require testing 2x wk with a finger prick that the pt can do then aspirin for the remainder of time. I put off my surgery for about 8 yrs after the arthroscopies which provide only temp relief. I have had 3 steroid inj this year so it's time t do something more permanent. Lots of luck to you! I will be following your progress. Judy


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
@Freaky freak Hi! And thank you! I see that you and most people have been through many treatments over the years, I have only had 1 cortisone shot 10 + years ago. I never had an Arthoscopy done, but then again I haven't been to the doctor in all this time until recently when an Xray said that I need a new hip (This is when my hip started giving out at times as well).

I actually did see a doctor at the same hospital before the one who said that I needed a new hip and he said I needed a resurfacing...The 2nd doctor I saw said I do not qualify for a resurfacing...UGH

So now I will see a 3rd doctor closer to where I live, I am curious to see what he says....I am not in severe pain all of the time, however I do Feel my hip all of the time, the severe pain is on and off...I see people here having surgery who can no longer walk or keep up with their daily lives. While I do not want to get to that point I am also struggling with the decision to do the surgery....dba212 has been giving me such much great info and advice and so has many other people so my jitters are at ease a bit....

Wow you are having bilateral! You are brave! Lol. I have been seeing a lot of success stories of the Anterior approve and I like the idea of the "No Restrictions" I find that amazing. I have a hectic job to get back to and that approach appeals to me...I will be watching you as well and I wish you the very best in January with your surgery. Thank you for reaching out to me! :) Very Best Regards Sara
 
@dba212 -Oh not HSS-Oh good! LOL

Good Luck today! Let us know how you make out! :) Sara
 
@Sfina48 mine do not hurt much either since I have been taking glucosamine but like you just spurts of pain. Going to get them fixed so I don't spend the next few years waiting for them to hurt. Take care! Judy


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart
 
@Sfina48 Anddddddd we have clearance!!! Restrictions removed (with the exception of one movement until 3 months out), no more meds and back to work next week!!! :happydance::spin::yes!::dancy: He said everything looks exactly the way you want it to and that he doesn't even need to see me until my 1 year anniversary. Now I am going to order pizza to celebrate and take a long bubble bath... Holding off until tomorrow for that glass of wine I really want :angel:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Soooo amazing! how wonderful for you! Congrats and enjoy your bath and celebrations! I am truly happy for you! :) makes me want to make my appointment! All the best! Sara
 
@Sfina48 Sooooo glad it's over... They even emailed my clearance letter to my HR department while I was sitting there... They also gave me Rx for antibiotics in advance for when I go to the dentist next time and gave me a card with my surgery date for travel, etc... Everyone should be that organized!

Even though I still get swelling in my feet and ankles towards the end of the day he said that is normal and will probably go on for another month but that I can take Advil or Aleve if I have any discomfort. He said to continue with the PT until I feel totally comfortable walking unassisted and that I should be 100% healed by 6 months. He also showed me the side by side comparison X-rays which was really cool to see.

PS... Now it's your turn!!!
 
I know you are glad its over, what a relief right? Wow, seems like they really have it together over there at HSS!
I love it! When you say walking unassisted do you mean walking without a cane? What did he say your one restriction was?
So your THR was November 15th? Wow, just about 4 weeks and you are cleared to go to work! That is encouraging!
That sounds really cool to see the side by side X-Rays!

Yea, I am almost excited to schedule mine now! Thank you!! :) Sara
 
@Sfina48 Yes, I'm still using a cane outside of my home and will until the limp goes away and I feel secure (especially since NYC sidewalks can be a bit hazardous)... Also I walk very aligned with the cane and that helps your muscles realign your pelvis so you won't limp.

The only restriction he gave me was for 3 months not to bend my body sideways towards my operated on hip as though I was reaching for the side of my foot... My PT had mentioned before that he would probably say that... Any movements straight forward and even bending my operative leg up or past my center are fine... I tried last night to sit sideways on my bed and bend my leg up to put a sock on and it's still really too tight but PT will help with that... I go to PT this afternoon so I'm curious to see how much they will kick my butt now without all the restrictions HAHA

PS... The bubble bath was delicious last night!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, NYC sidewalks And the people! Ha Ha
Oh that's not too bad..The restriction that is.
How often do you go to PT? Is it very painful? Did they kick your butt this afternoon? Lol

Glad you enjoyed your bubble bath!!
 
@Sfina48 Definitely the people, especially since my office building entrance is near Times Square so I deal not only with NY'ers texting and walking but flocks of tourists blocking the sidewalks HaHa... More reason to loose the cane soon or it might become a weapon!

OUCH... More than my butt was kicked today... She warned me that I would probably be very sore tonight and I can already feel it... Not pain, but the soreness you get when you use muscles that you haven't used for months... Go figure!!! HAHA... Interesting that I was listening to a woman with hip issues whining to her PT about not liking being sore afterwards and she was doing such easy exercises... I can certainly deal with the soreness for as long as it takes to get back to normal... Of course I'm sure that nice glass of wine I have been dying for will certainly help a lot tonight. :martini:
 
....wow, reading all of these posts is really helping me, I am 5 days post-op and today my pt told me that I am doing too much, everyone in my circle keeps telling me to keep moving or I won't heal properly, my leg is swelling more in the evening and becoming very tight and stiff..... Going to continue my basic pt and really start to rest and ice myself, thank you for this forum.
 
@ststyle59 Exactly! Just do the basic PT they give you in the beginning like the foot pumps, etc... As my PT told me, "We only give you that much for a reason"... It was so hard once I got home to stay still but found that sitting up rather than lying down made the swelling much worse so solved that by purchasing a 12" wedge pillow that raised me up enough to be able to do things... Though there were nights the first week that I felt like my foot and ankle would pop from the swelling UGH
 
@dba212, okee dokee then, I will start today and just do thee basic pt, I think I may have read this next "mantra" here, "less is best in the beginning," that's me then, no need to tell me twice, thank you for your input...wishing you wellness and strength!!
 
@dba212 So funny...You are by Times Square and my office is near the Empire State Building so I know what you mean by tourists and the texting while walking! I was going to say you might have to clock someone with your cane! LOL!
Wow, you must have been sore last night. How often do you have PT? Did you have a break today?
 
@Sfina48 I go to PT twice a week... I had been approved for 3x but my PT said I was strong enough that 2x would be enough... Next week should be interesting since I will be going after work which will make for verrrrrrrry long days.

I got really brave and took on both Target and Costco today!!! I will probably be sore again tomorrow but so far I don't seem any worse for the wear... I have PT tomorrow morning so hopefully that will work me through any soreness... My energy level also seems to be improving since I don't seem to nod off after exerting myself like I did today... I even went out later to pick-up some dinner rather than having it delivered (was just too lazy to cook tonight haha)... And tomorrow after PT I'm even going to get my highlights done where I will be pampered for 2 hours (think I deserve that though)... AND Sunday if the weather really is as warm as predicted I plan on getting a pedicure because I can wear my flip flops home afterwards... Since I didn't want to risk going anywhere for the holidays this year, all these little things I've missed doing for so long are really making up for it!!!:reindeer:
 
Not too bad twice a week, I was wondering if insurance covers the PT assuming you mean approved is the insurance.

Awesome that you went shopping! Must be nice to walk and shop w/o bone on bone pain! Good for you!
It will be great for you to pamper yourself, have fun you deserve it! I love getting my toes done! I color my hair but its to cover my grays! Lol!
Enjoy the taste of Spring on Sunday!
 
@Sfina48 Actually the 3x was approved by the doctor but after my first PT session which was more of an evaluation to see where I was she said I only needed to come 2x per week... Though everyone's insurance plan is different, mine covers up to 60 sessions per year after my deductible is met and no limit as to how many times per week.

Pampering day today was a success!!! Though the traffic in the city today was awful with the midday holiday exodus... I thought I was running late for my appointment so got off the bus and walked the last 10 blocks... Honestly don't remember the last time I was able to do that!

PS... My colorist is a goddess because my highlights "camouflage" my grays LOL
 
I see, I have to look into what is covered by my plan.

Oh yea, major gridlock in the city right now due to the holiday...I am amazed at how much you walked! Awesome,
Glad you had a great day!

Wow a colorist that uses highlight to cover grays, she is a goddess! Lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom