THR On the road to full recovery...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually performed a 3D hip replacement - have been trying to find it to post the link... It was excellent...
 
You made my day,I really dig it when I hear people just go for it , I live the same way ,
 
You made my day,I really dig it when I hear people just go for it , I live the same way ,
You really have to with something like this if you want your life back... In reality it's not fun and you would rather not have to go through it but it is what it is... Even my PT told me that they love when they have patients with a determined attitude because it makes their recovery quicker... Also, I still have Christmas shopping I need to do!!!
 
dba212 so glad to hear that everything has gone so well for you! I'm scheduled for a RTHR on January 22 and gave also experienced many of the things you have described here. It's so encouraging to read and know that you're not alone in this and others understand. I too live alone so that's been a big concern for me. I hope your recovery continues to go well!!
 
karisa7174

Good luck with your surgery... Living alone was initially one of my major concerns which is why I was so diligent about learning all the details of life after surgery... There were so many great practical tips here for everyday things and I found myself thinking through my day to day activities and trying to figure out how I could do that or reach for that... It's amazing how many times you drop things when you can't bend to pick them up HAHA
 
dba212 So true about the comments here..I have to realize that not everything being said is 100% accurate and true for everyone.
I have seen and bought a couple of items already, I have bought the long gadget that picks up things (love playing with it Lol) And I have seen a kit at Amazon for Hip Replacement patients that contain things to help getting dressed etc. Good to know they work! You have answered the question about what the hospital sends you home with which is probably the cane and that is it. I will get the toilet seat with handles too. I already have the hand held shower head. I have ordered the Chair Lift recliner, have always wanted one anyway. I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time there. But the first week, I will stay in bed as you suggest and rest. I am a very restless person and I am afraid I will not be able to sit in one spot for such a long period of time! Lol.
I am glad they do the surgery Thurs or Friday.. I have been at the website briefly though, I will check it out again.
I knew there is a class but didn't realize it was pretty much all day, thanks for the advice about the snacks too!
How are you sleeping? Do you have to stay on your back? I am a side sleeper and I dont know how well I will sleep only on my back. I see a giant pillow made for pregnancy but it is also used for Hip Replacement patients. Do you think this type of pillow will help?
Thank you again! I hope I am not asking too many questions! All the best!! Sara
 
You are probably smart buying some things beforehand... Might have made life a bit less painful had I done that... Not sure what the chair lift recliner is though? Is it that big chair that looks like a recliner that tilts up to sort of launch you? I bought a hip chair similar to the ones in the waiting room as well as the hospital room... The seat is about 27" high so you are almost standing when you slide forward in it and you don't lean over before standing... I think the brand I bought was Lumex but you can rent them too.. Another good thing I bought was an over the bed table like they have in the hospital which I use with the chair since it can adjust really high... I use it for meals, work, etc... They sent me home with both a walker and a cane but I only used the walker less than a week, more for added security if I needed to get up in the middle of the night... By day eight I was walking in my apartment unassisted but I never leave home without my cane.
"
Trust me, you will spend a lot of time lying down, especially in the beginning... You tire so quickly and if you don't spend a good deal of time in a horizontal position your leg will swell more... At first the swelling made my foot and ankle feel like there were tight rubber bands around it... Even loose socks that barely touched me felt tight... Resting was the only thing that relieved it so it tended to be better in the morning, but got worse later in the day... They do put you on meds to reduce the swelling which I am still on at least I guess until my follow-up appt... I'm also on some high dose aspirin as a blood thinner plus something else to protect my stomach from the aspirin... Fortunately I did not have to take Coumadin which apparently requires constant monitoring of your blood.

The day at the hospital is a lot!!!... There is a 1.5 hour class to help you prepare and answer any questions you might have given by a nurse, a PT and a caseworker... You also meet with the Dr who will be your primary care Dr in addition to the surgeon and they will be the one who looks at all the test results and clears you for surgery... Also, you will get an ECG, blood tests, speak with a nurse who will ask a gazillion health related questions, fill out tons of paperwork relating to all the legal stuff such as your proxy, x-rays of your hip and chest and a full body EOS scan... Again, it's a long day... At one point I really needed a potty break so as I started to walk in a restroom there was a sign on the door telling you to first ask if you would be needing to provide a urine sample, which of course I did... Just my luck LOL

Sleeping hasn't really been much of a problem since at one point before surgery the only way I could sleep was on my back because of the pain... It helps to slightly prop yourself up with pillows though because I find that if I am totally flat my mouth gets really dry. You also sleep with a pillow between your legs to prevent you from rolling over... I'm usually a side-sleeper too but there is too much of a chance I think of your leg rolling past your center even with pillows between them... I tried on both sides but it was really uncomfortable for me so I will stick to my back for now. Maybe that pillow would help later on but I would wait a while to try it... Another thing to keep in mind is your bedding and not getting all tangled up in it... I basically just made my bed very flat with the sheets and a blanket and put my big comforter away... I found some really yummy lightweight micro-fleece blankets that are really warm and I just throw those over me... Even on those really cold days we had, I was warm and toasty.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions... I can only relate my personal experiences but hopefully some of it will help ease the preparation process for you.
 
Yes, I bought the recliner the lifts you to the standing position it goes all the way back so you can sleep in it as well. I think some people use this type of chair here in the forum.
I will look into the chair that you mentioned. Thanks for the advice about the table
Ugh, The day at the hospital seems like a lot and overwhelming...I am glad you have warned me in advance!
Yes, your info has helped ease some of my concerns and it will certainly help me with the preparation process.
I am in a lot of pain last couple of days...I think its the weather. Thanks again for the info! :)
 
Sfina48

Completely agree about the weather making it worse... Even though "experts" say it doesn't, I've never met anyone with OA that doesn't feel it on those days... Fortunately it is another thing that goes away after surgery! I'm trying to expand my little "field trips" every day and was out in the rain a lot yesterday with no pain at all... I even walked 15 blocks "after" PT, came home, iced my hip and felt great the rest of the day so I'm slowly but surely getting there... Like the Dr said, walking really seems to be the best therapy especially after you have warmed up your body.
 
Wow! I never knew that, I thought that the weather def plays a role in increased pain, well at least for me I notice an increase in pain, the past few days have been unbearable and more real the idea that I should have the surgery :(
I am so happy for you! Sounds like you are coming along nicely...I love to walk, that will be one thing I will be doing after surgery is walk! I walk now and my hip lets me know when I have over done it. I can walk for miles and miles, I do not drive...I know I know..lol
But never had to growing up in NY, so I have always walked everywhere!
I was wondering, did you ever consider the Anterior approach? I love the idea that recovery is much quicker..
I know that there are restrictions like the 90 degree thingy, but was wondering did Dr. Mayman give you those restrictions? Or rather did he put an emphasis on the restrictions? I was wondering since I thought his technique, computerized placement was supposed allow for less restrictions than other surgeons..I am terrified of getting into a car when leaving the hospital and travelling all the way to NJ. :) Sara
 
Sfina48

OUCH! I can't imagine having to wait until March if I was in so much pain... I had a 6 week wait but could have taken a date 4 weeks out and kicked myself several times that I didn't... I could barely walk 2 blocks without the tears starting and standing still was the worst... Needless to say I spent a fortune on taxis.

As far as the type of procedure, it was never discussed and since I'm not the professional, I trusted him to do what was best for my situation... Even though the incision is more towards the back I didn't have too much pain from it... I'm guessing the lack of stitches or staples helped with that... It's practically healed now and I can barely feel that anything was even done... I'm not even 4 weeks out from surgery so I can't imagine it being much quicker than that... Also, since there are dissolving stitches inside, over the weeks I have felt them tightening as they healed, but the PT keeps the scar tissue from getting too tight... It's really important to be diligent about exercising as well... The exercises are very simple and the intensity does increase but it's what will help you get your flexibility and range of motion back.

The restrictions apply to everyone because the tissue around the joint needs to heal in order to hold it in place or it can pop out... It's really not difficult to abide by as long as you follow the rules they give you and all that is explained to you... Also your body will tell you because you will actually feel the joint... I had just one moment the first time I was able to use the toilet and though it didn't hurt, I quickly knew I should not move that way... Now though I'm finding I am able to push the limits further but would certainly not force anything... Again, your body will let you know.

As for the car, that wasn't a problem... You just need to sit in the front seat with plenty of leg room and keep your leg as straight as possible when getting in and out... A nurse helps you get in when you leave the hospital and it's easy... Since I went home alone on a weekday and very few of my friends have cars anyway, I used a car service that specializes in medical transportation which cost a bit more but made me feel secure because they knew the restrictions and made sure I got inside safely... I wouldn't worry, you will be fine.
 
My hip pain kinda comes and goes, I mean I always "Feel" my hip, and then there are the days when it just throbs. I still walk a lot and it doesn't really keep me from work or doing my day to day activities. I swear my co workers think I am lying because I do not limp and I go to work everyday.
Good point about the procedure...I cant get over that you are 4 weeks out from surgery and feeling as good as you do! :)
It really gives me the confidence in using Dr. Mayman.
I am glad to know that the nurse helps with the car when leaving the hospital, I am interested in what you said about the car service that specializes in medical transport, might be pricy from NY to NJ though, but I'd be will to pay the price for piece of mind...(Within reason of course lol). I was going to ask my brother but he has serious road rage issues! I certainly do not need that stress on a day of returning home from the hospital. Ha Ha..

Best Regards! Sara
 
Sfina48 You are so lucky that the pain comes and goes... Mine was really bad at the end and Dr M confirmed in post-op that I was literally bone on bone... The last week was almost unbearable because they take you off all anti-inflammatory medications and Tylenol has about as much pain reliever as Skittles... I had intended to work through Thursday that week but after Monday couldn't take it anymore.

I'll send you the name of the car service in a PM... They are a bit pricy since I paid just over $100 for about a mile ride but it was definitely worth it for me... You might also Google similar services in NJ too.

PS... I walked 1 mile today and no pain!!! I was definitely tired later and nodded off for about an hour and it probably looked strange to people that I was sweating in 30 degree weather LOL.. Getting my energy level up seems to be the toughest thing for me.
 
That is exactly why I am not so sure if I should have the replacement just yet, Maybe a cortisone shot will help?
I really hate that the surgery is elective...If the doctor would only say...you have to have the surgery right now I would do it in a heartbeat!
You were much worse off than I am now..Wow you were really suffering. I am so glad you have relief and the surgery has helped you!
Thank you for the message with the car service info! I will check them out and check out ones here in Jersey too!

AWESOME! Great that you walked a mile today, you are an inspiration to me!! You must be so happy! I think it is normal to not have much energy just yet you've had major surgery and it takes time to bounce back. You hit a major milestone today! Didn't you have a goal for yourself to walk a mile? You go girl!! Sooo happy for you!
All the best! And thank you again for the PM!

Sara
 
Sfina48 Again, it's not going to get any better... Just don't let it get to the point where you are in constant pain like I was... As for those shots, I've yet to meet anyone who had any luck with them with regards to pain relief... Maybe they work in the beginning but my guess is that once the joint starts to get really bad it's just avoiding the inevitable.

Can't wait for my follow-up appointment next Tuesday... My PT said she fully expects him to remove my restrictions... I've already been able to move my body a lot further and the tightness is starting to go away with the exercises... I even slept on my good side the past 2 nights without that pulling feeling on my operated on hip... Next stop I hope is the okay to soak in the bathtub ;-)
 
So true...I guess I am trying to convince myself that just maybe I do not need surgery :( But you inspire me!
I do not want to wait until it is so bad. I don't want the shot, it didn't do much the last time I had it many years ago.

Wow you slept on your side! That is terrific! That is one of my concerns. Seems like your healing is coming along nicely, Great that your appointment is coming up, I bet he will lift those restrictions! Do you think you will go back to work soon after your appointment?

Another thing that worries me is leaving my very demanding job. I was told (By the company owner) I could work from home, whatever I need but I still worry..I have sick time and vacation that I carry over from the prior year. I am 1 of 2 people in an accounting department, I also cover the reception desk when needed and trouble shoot IT issues that come up and basically I am really relied on. I know I should not put my job first but I cant help it..My immediate boss made a comment about her mom hobbling along with her bad knees and doesn't do the surgery, So I guess that means I should?? See my presence in the office makes her life easier as she works from home a lot most times for no reason whatsoever, so that leaves me having to be in the office to handle things..UGH Sorry venting lol..
 
Sfina48 I went through the whole denial thing too when I was first diagnosed by the other Dr thinking it would probably be 10 or so years before I needed surgery... Again I never even considered the shot since it wasn't really pushed and by the time I saw Dr M I was too far gone... Mine really took a turn for the worse last summer when my company moved to a space about 6x as large and suddenly I was having to walk a block to the restroom haha

As far as work, I was also worried because my job can be really crazy but fortunately was able to train someone before I left that I had complete trust in... Like I mentioned before, I had planned on being there a few more days but because the pain was so bad that Monday before I knew I couldn't so I stayed that last night until 4:00am getting everything in order UGH... Hadn't done that in more years than I can remember LOL... Because of the length of time it is considered Short Term Disability so there was no problem since you are guaranteed your job if you are out less than 3 months and other than probably a week after surgery I've been available to deal with anything that came up... It's great that your boss sounds so supportive... I work for a large financial company that can sometimes be insensitive but there were a few Managing Directors that were about to personally escort me to the hospital and make me do it... Overall everyone has been really supportive and check in to see how I am doing... I received lots of flowers and Amazon gift cards too that came in handy for movie rentals ;-) Trust me, they will just have to do a little more work while you are out and they will learn to appreciate you more haha... Hoping if I get my clearance next Tuesday I can go back the following Monday which will be the beginning of 2 rather quiet weeks and I will have a chance to get my bearings.
 
The cortisone was offered to me many years ago, I was in pain then but I guess not quite ready for a replacement so I went with the shot and I found that it didn't do much. Cant get over a doctor told you were 10 years from surgery! In the last year or so I noticed not only the increase in the pain but my hip was doing something that I had never felt before...Sometime I feel a sharp pain and then my hip buckles or give out as if it will not hold my leg up anymore. It is very strange. So that is when I went to Dr. M.
I always knew that one day I would need a hip replacement, cant believe I am facing this soon.

I am sure things will work out at my job, seems like you have as hectic job as I do. I have filled in many times for absent people, they can fill in for me. At least I have the option to work from home and short term disability if necessary..thank you for your great advice! Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday! Let me know how you make out! All the best Sara
 
@Sfina48 The Dr didn't tell me it would be 10 years, it was my own denial thinking it wouldn't have to take place so soon... That first Dr though was the one who kept me from getting it done sooner by acting like such a jerk... I guess I was his last appointment on a Friday and he was anxious to leave so kept interrupting me when I tried to ask questions and finally said to me that what I was telling him "was not special" and that he would see me in 3 months as he shut the door!!! Needless to say he never saw me again and kept me away from any orthopedist for far too long... Unfortunately there are doctors out there like that who do a huge disservice to their profession which is why I was so careful about finding someone I felt completely comfortable with.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh got ya, What was that doctor's name! Is he in nyc? I will avoid him like the plague! Lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom