Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the other side!!!<

Does anyone know what percentage of permanent disability doctors give to patients who have had TKR?
 
Alta, are you afraid you won't recover? I am hoping that my TKR takes away my feelings of disability. You have been doing so well!
 
Does anyone know what percentage of permanent disability doctors give to patients who have had TKR?
Are you talking about the number of people who are permanently disabled after a TKR? Or what percentage of full mobility people people cannot achieve? Both answers, I think, would depend on the individual and the degree of impairment they had before surgery.

I don't know what the percentages are, but I'm sure they are very small. The vast majority of knee replacements have a very successful result. Let's ask @Josephine .
 
I think it depends on the State (each State seems to rate these things differently), as well as your surgical outcome once you've reached "maximum medical improvement." Probably somewhere between 35% and 50% PD, based on your range of motion and ability to perform activities of daily living.

Edited to add: I'm a legal secretary - so I interpreted your question about permanent disability to mean in legal terms - like for Workers' Compensation ratings.
 
@CaliGirl thats the answer I was looking for because i did get hurt at work and this was my 4th surgery with TKR being my last surgery I had 12 days ago! I have a very physical job which I really don't think I'll be able to do after I recover from this !!
 
I think it depends on the State (each State seems to rate these things differently), as well as your surgical outcome once you've reached "maximum medical improvement." Probably somewhere between 35% and 50% PD, based on your range of motion and ability to perform activities of daily living.
I beg to differ. I think your figures are much too high.
The vast majority of people return to full mobility after a TKR and are not disabled at all.

Try reading some of these stories:
bonesmart.org/forum/view/library-stories-of-amazing-knee-recoveries.41/
 
@Timetolive i have been doing really well so far thanks for the positive encouragement. I'm taking this one day at a time and I'm extremely happy on how things are going
 
@CaliGirl thats the answer I was looking for because i did get hurt at work and this was my 4th surgery with TKR being my last surgery I had 12 days ago! I have a very physical job which I really don't think I'll be able to do after I recover from this !!
As I said, above, the percentage depends on each individual and on the previous history of the knee.
I do understand your concern, but at this stage, there is no way to predict what your outcome will be, as you will need to be assessed much later in your recovery.
It could well be that the TKR has corrected some of your knee's problems.
 
your surgical outcome once you've reached "maximum medical improvement." Probably somewhere between 35% and 50% PD, based on your range of motion and ability to perform activities of daily living.
I am amazed at that! The whole objective of this surgery is to give the patient back their full quality of living. So far as I am aware, the vast majority do achieve that and actually end up forgetting they ever had the surgery.
 
@Celle At least here in California, the PD Ratings used for Workers' Compensation purposes - to determine how much money they get. How someone feels and what they are able to do are two somewhat separate things as far as PD is calculated.

I am not AT ALL trying to say that someone who has a TKR can only hope to recover 50 - 65%. (I am certainly more optimistic than that about my own recovery. :tada:)

"Permanent Disability" used in Workers' Compensation is just a formula that the American Medical Association came up with to determine how much money people should get for injuries to various body parts. The Workers' Compensation system (at least here in California) is baffling. An injury resulting in a total knee replacement is quite serious, and since there are certain high-impact activities that have to be avoided after having one, that gets factored into determining the "PD," especially since @Alta has a very physical job. The average range given to TKR's in Workers' Comp here is between 35% to 50%.
 
I am amazed at that! The whole objective of this surgery is to give the patient back their full quality of living. So far as I am aware, the vast majority do achieve that and actually end up forgetting they ever had the surgery.

Absolutely!:) And someone who achieves that level of recover would probably get a 35% PD Award. Don't try to figure it out - you'll just end up with a headache.:shrug:
 
I think that the figures given don't actually represent the success rate of a TKR as such, but the amount of damage done in the initial accident.
So, if you have an accident that damages your knee so severely that even a TKR can't restore you to full function, it seems misleading to me to attribute the disability to the TKR.
Rather, it's a terminal disability resulting from the initial injury, even after all available treatments have been completed.

I know I'm arguing semantics here, but I hate to see such a high percentage of disability being attributed to TKR alone, because that doesn't represent in any way the overall success rate of TKRs.
 
Just an update things are going great started do a few less reps for my exercises and doing some more icing and elevating and the swelling has come down a lot!! I walked about 500 feet without my cane and it felt great some minor muscle tightness but nothing that was painful. I get my staples removed tomorrow so another thing to look forward to!
 
Congrats! I'm a few days behind you. My PT still wants me to use the walker so far but sometimes I get up and walk away without it. Did you use a walker, crutches or a cane immediately post op? I'm having my staples out on Monday. That's another big step to look forward to.
 
@newlybionic i used the walker 2 hours after surgery and also the next day for my walk down the hallway before I got discharged.Ive been using the cane since the 2 nd day after surgery each day gets better and better! Glad to see your doing well and good luck getting your staples out
 
Just an update things are going great started do a few less reps for my exercises and doing some more icing and elevating and the swelling has come down a lot!
Ye? we told you, didn't we? The softly softly approach does work!
 
Staples are out and I saw the surgeons PA today and I told her I was out of pain meds and she said I'm only gonna give you 30 more 5 mg oxycodone and after that you won't get anymore. She said we will give you tramodal after your oxycodone is done. She said we don't want you to develop a problem.I told her after my second surgery the pain was so bad I was on 130mg of dilaudid a day and stop taking those without any problem. I told her as soon as the pain went away I weened myself off of them and she said I'll keep my Eye on you.I hate the way pain meds make me feel when I'm not in pain and that's how I know to start reducing is they start to make me feel loopy!!!Ive been through 5 surgeries in the last 12 months and if I haven't developed a opiate problem yet then chances are I'm not gonna!!!!!!!
 
So did the PA give you a full script for the meds? I just got another 60 tablets of oxycodone. I also have had tramadol since my surgery for break through. It's crazy how doctors seem so worried about the patients that use the medications legitimately. Drug addicts will always be able to find pills but we are given the hard time.
 
Interesting how they differ - my OS gives me 90 at a time but restricts new prescriptions to when I should need them based on instructions on bottle - this is partly insurance issue- otherwise they won't pay it


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom