TKR On the other side of surgery

Ok 12 weeks seems like a reasonable time. Just remember, dont let the pt goons intimidate you. If you can work from home, that may be a good thing, even if just a little bit. Seems you have a good flexible employer. Just one other level of stuff to deal with. Im glad it's one thing I dont have to deal with, being technically retired, tho I still have some from home business I tend to, but very limited and on my timetable.

Hang in there, hopefully we will both look back on these dark days as history, that got us to a better life (or so I try to keep telling my self)

T- 3 HOURS for me to tackle pt.
 
Colleen, I went back to work, full time, at 7 weeks (not by choice) in my case the first 2 weeks it was very difficult, my knee was very achy and swollen by the time I got home, and I iced and elevated at work, by week 10 I felt much better I didn't even have to ice at work, but the energy level was still not there, I work a 4 day work week and by Friday I am exhausted. I really think that 12 weeks is the magic number, if you can stay out that long you should really consider it.

I work for a very small company, I do not have short term disability or FMLA available to me, you do have that so take advantage of it and make sure you are up to the task of going back to work.
 
Hoping there is a way to keep everything you have in place, hate to see you end any of your coverage before your ready too, but also to maybe work a little here and there. I am not about deception, but maybe there is a way to work it out some how. Just afraid if you gave up everything you have in place for your recovery, you may be trying to work to much to soon and it could be stressful and a set back to your recovery. Tomorrow is the start of my 12 wk post op and I am still suffering tiredness and the past few days my ankle and foot has swollen on my tkr leg. So as much as it's nice to be busy and I am all for it, just don't give up any benefits too soon.
 
You all are right, I know going back to work will be tiring. But thinking it would not be so bad from home as I would sit in recliner, leg elevated with my laptop. But don't want to lose any benefits. I do need to do whats best for recovery not whats best for my work and I am already earning ETO while using it. Instead I could occupy some of my time by doing some computer (laptop) work for my husbands business he just started in March. Plus at times during the day I still nap. So thankful for those ahead of me on this journey to give me insight. Wish me luck tomorrow as I have PT and its been 7 days.
 
sounds very well thought out. Im sure the computer stuff for hubby while keeping your benefits will help your mind, as well as let you keep resting and healing.

Good Luck at PT and remember YOU are the boss!!! dont let them intimidate, threaten or make you feel bad.

Go GET EM!!
 
Try having a little sit down like Diane did to set the new rules. Hope it goes well for you.
 
Yep, read Diane's speech before you go and be strong. Remember YOU are hiring them and they can't touch you if you don't want them to. Most are reasonable people once they know their limits. Good luck!
 
Wishing you strength and assertiveness for Pt today! Let us know how it goes. Keep that Bonesmart mantra on a loop in your mind. May your cane be your sword, and Bonesmart be your shield!
:hi:
 
Be strong and do what you know if right for your knee!
 
Good luck with PT. I took a copy of the Bonesmart way to them at second outpatient appointment. I told them what I would and would not do (kindly). They have been very good about it and my results speak for themselves to them. I'll do the same for my second knee.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Hope things went well at pt today! I had my first outpatient pt and was so apprehensive, but he turned out to be one of the good, gentle ones, wishing the same for you.
 
I had a lovely therapist today, the best so far. I have had 4 different ones. She realized how tight my knee was from the get go. The puffy pink areas in my pic above is internal swelling and scar tissue. So she massaged the area pretty deep for 10 minutes. I was told to do this daily as it will break up the scar tissue preventing it from freezing up the knee. Disappointed that after a week of "less is better" my ROM decreased. However it did not get me down as she was very encouraging saying I will get there once the internal tissue swelling subsides. She was gentle with some bending and homework is to 3 gentle heel slides every couple hours. A therapist I saw last week stop by us just to remind me I have till next Friday when I see my OS to get to 90. So thoughtful of her. Came home and fell asleep for an hour. Of course I elev and iced the knee. It is reddish pink but is feeling better not as sore as when I left PT. Just asked my hubbie to help with heel slides and he suggested not tonight as I go back to PT in the morning. No arguing from me.
 
Wow...PT two days in a row, I was never able or willing to do that, I only went twice a week and spaced them out. I was able to request my therapist, are you able to? I used to watch some of the others and they were too aggressive.

Hood luck tomorrow, get some rest tonight!!
 
Sounds like this is a good therapist. Can you make your appts and request her? Im glad you are not so down about it. She was so right, once the swelling goes down, the bend will happen. You are doing pt 2 days in a row? That seems alot. Tell that threat monger one to give it up , you will get your rom when its ready, and no doc can force you to do anything you dont want. Hang in there, better days are ahead, they have to!
 
Diane is right. You ROM will come. Your OS can't force you to have a MUA and there is no time limit on your knee's movement!
 
@thecoll hang in there, there has been weeks that I was stalled for over a week or more with out movement then had to listen to the stories of the MUA in my future. But as I've relaxed and became accepting of what ever the outcome would be at this pt,it would be, I saw improvement, needed to get that monkey off my back. Haven't had any measurements for a while overall think I am doing ok, with having my incision still open and healing, I've backed off at putting extra pressure and stress on it. Once it's healed completely closed I can go back to more stretching and such. But for now just daily living seems to be kicking me in the butt and giving me all the exercise I need in a day.
 
I'm so glad you got the good PT professional. It makes all the difference. There is this one therapist at my center that seems to think threats are therapeutic. On my way out the other day (he was not my therapist), my therapist said, "you're doing great!". He chimed in and said, "Yeah, don't screw it up!". Well. Not the thing to say -- I stopped in my tracks and called him over and quietly said, " X- comments like that are hurtful to me". He apologized profusely. I don't usually confront people but it just hit me in the gut. I think we all should be a little more straightforward with our care providers. I don't think most realize the power of their words on our brittle emotions.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Wow @sheliac that would of ticked me off too if he said that to me. You handled it much better than I would have. Today I had the best therapist to date. Her name was Joy and she was ever so gentle. Again really massaging my scar and knee area to break down the tissue. Of course did the bike as warm up and then gentle bending. Best of all she did not even measure my ROM. She gave me a few tips on elevating to get the stubborn swelling down and tips on bending. Told me to keep up the great job and we were finished. No lectures... loved it. I have her two times next week, yeah. Now to work on gentle bending this weekend while watching college football.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom