TKR On the other side of surgery

Finished up week 11 post op and still not at the point of saying I am glad I had this surgery.
 
You sound just like me! Impatient. Gets frustrating at times. I guess I just wasn't prepared for how long recovery takes. I force myself to go just one day at a time. One day we will both say how glad we are that we did it!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
A while ago, we had someone here who joked that her ATM machine had run out of patience.
For this recovery, I believe that, if an ATM machine dispensed patience the line/queue would go around the block.

It is a real trial of patience, but try to hang in there - it's worth it in the end.
 
Yes, at 11 weeks you're far from recovered. Drat. :wink:Try to remember how far you've come, though. I was catching up on your thread and noticed you said that people commented a few weeks ago that you were walking better. It's helpful when other people can point out to you your progress. Boosts the mood. :flwrysmile:
 
Finished up week 11 post op and still not at the point of saying I am glad I had this surgery.
After my BTKR, it took me close to five months to lose a pesky little limp---my knees would feel fine in the AM, but by noon, they would stiffen up and become a bit sore. Six month, I was getting close to 80%-85%, and it was not until around eight months that I was near 90%-95%----getting oh, so close to 100%.

I continued to gain ROM in tiny increments well past my one-year anniversary.

Progress here can be measured in very tiny, little steps. It tries our patience, but you simply reach down inside of yourself and find the patience that you did not know that you have.

I can tell you now that I can go for days without thinking about the fact that I was not born with these knees, and that they are 53 years younger than me. I can do whatever I want now, and there is no pain.

You will be amazed at how great you feel when you are fully recovered.
 
@referee54 Thank you for sharing as it is very encouraging. I just happen to stumble upon a video of Al Rocker from the Today show and how at 2 weeks he was back at work and all that he does with his PT therapist. I started to compare and thought how the heck did he do it. Then I read your post and brought me back to reality and again encouraged that things will improve with time. Looking forward to being fully recovered.
 
Hi Jol, I am doing good still working at the ROM. Having just met the 3 month mark last week I had a follow up with my OS. His P.A. bent my knee and said it was at 105. I had just finished PT moments prior (they are in the same building). I still go to PT 3x's a week and my ROM is anywhere from 90-100. My OS asked if I was happy with progression and I told him I am Not where I would like the range to be and he said he could take me to the OR and manipulate it. I quickly said no thank you. He told me to keep working at it and bend as much as possible that it can still increase. I do not see him again for a year. Today I started back at work although I have been working from home the last 3 weeks it was a challenge with swelling. I do not have pain but the knee area gets tight and stiff after standing, walking or leave the leg down for 30 min or more. He told me this will continue for several more months and swelling can come and go for a year as it can take a year to recover. I get frustrated that my ROM is not at 120-130 as many have achieved it by now but its my recovery and every knee is different so I will keep plugging along. Now trying to figure out how to work bending exercises into my day now that I am working. Staying positive.
 
@thecoll
Colleen, once you're back at work you'll need to cut back the PT visits. Going to work imposes a large additional load on your knee and the activity involved in that is sufficient exercise for your knee.
 
I'm glad you were able to work a home for a while. How is your energy with returning to work?
 
I hope work is going good for you! I also started back after 3 months~it's very difficult! Give yourself time to adjust, & don't do much after work but rest, ice & elevate! I'm 5 months today and still lacking in the ROM department :what: I'm on the slower recovery train that's very frustrating, but trusting everyone here that we will make it !!! Take care!
 
I am now a couple weeks away from 4 months post op (14weeks) and I must have over done it on this long holiday weekend. My right knee which is waiting to be replaced is very painful. My new left knee is feeling very tight and bending is only about 90-95 degrees. Also my ankle and foot are swelling up awfully. Of course rest and elevation help to reduce swelling. I feel like I am back to where I was prior to surgery in that I am having to do my chores and other things in increments so I can elevate in between. Hoping to see light at the end of the tunnel soon.
 
Hang in there! You can have swelling up to a year post op to some degree or so. I'm wiry you in that my former 'good' knee has started to complain loudly. Your old new might calm down as your new knee continues to get stronger in the next few months.
 
A lot of people have over done it the last few days. I was working part time and icing/elevating in the afternoon at 4 months. It's normal to have swelling after increased activity this early in recovery. Take the rest weekend to put your legs up and give them a break after all that work.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom