TKR On the other side of surgery

Make sure you only use the oil on your muscles. Keep it well away from your knee.
You don't want to put anything on the incision because, by doing so, you could risk introducing infection.
 
@Celle thank you for that advice as want to avoid any chance of infection. I will be sure to use only on muscles away from incision.
Small milestone today, this morning I when I woke up my lower back was hurting due to sleeping on my back for the past 4 weeks and I was able to lay on my side for about 10 minutes. I placed my left leg over my right leg and laid the new knee on a pillow. It allowed me to stretch my lower back, felt wonderful. Looking forward to the day I can sleep on my stomach again.
 
Yay for milestones, however small they seem. My back aches too from being on my back all the time. In the recliner, in bed, always pressure on my back. Sometimes I sit up in my recliner and bend at the waist as deep as I can, to try and stretch and ease my back.
 
Yayyy, that's great. That was a problem for me also, I have a hard time sleeping on my back .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's how I was able to sleep on my aide too. Placing my left over the TKR. I could only manage for a littl bit, but it felt great! I am thankful you're seeing little milestones.
 
I'm still using a pillow between my knees because it's so sensitive. Before long you'll be on which ever side you want to sleep on. That's a big step!
 
Having the same experience, back and butt pain from lying down flat on my back for so long, and some relief when I move to the side for a short while. I'm thinking of tomorrow going out to the garage and using my nustep for a little bit. No no no, not the legs! I wouldn't be quite that much in a hurry. But you can do just the arm part while sitting comfortably and keeping your legs still. I thought that might be good for my back.
 
As long as you just use your arms, the nu step should be OK, but don't rush into it. Start gentle and don't do a lot on the first day. Then, gradually increase the amount you do.
 
I think that sounds productive! Having something to work on your upper body while the legs are down is a good thing. I'm flabby all over and really need to get back to the Y in that pool!
 
Happy Monday! The start of another week. My last PT session was last Thursday. I decided I was going to do the less is better approach Fri, Sat and Sun and I think it helped. I am scheduled for PT this week Tues, Thurs and Fri and I'm thinking about canceling tomorrows. I just don't want to hear about my lack of ROM and needing a MUA and to mention the swollen angry knee after. I am going to work on gentle heel slides today. I do have an area on the outer side of the incision that is about the size of a half dollar that is puffy and very sensitive. The exact opposite side is flat not puffy at all. Curious as to why this is?
 
Curious as to why this is?
Because this is a goofy, annoying, frustrating zigzag of an adventure that parts of it are just there to make us crazy, and never get real answes to. It's a test of how far we can push our breaking points. Dont think that helps , but just the stuff that makes me wanna scream at times
 
If you decide to go to therapy and they mention your angry swollen knee. Tell them that it's their fault that your knee is angry and swollen. Of course, you don't have to go unless you want to.
 
I like that answer! Dianehelen alerted me to the zigzag term . Now when a new pain/weirdness happens, I just think - "another darn zag". Keep looking for the zigs :)


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
I canceled my PT appt today. It felt like I was calling in sick to work which I have not done in over 10 years. I have had 5 days off PT and can see the swelling has gone down. I have been elevating, icing and doing a couple small things around the house each day. I am using the cane and feel very good about it. As I rotate between ice and no ice, with in 20-30 min of no ice the middle section of the knee gets tight, warm feeling and I actually feel pain about a 4-5. I real need to get this knee bending. Yesterday I was down and had a moment of not crying but sobbing which is so not like me. This recovery is an emotional roller coaster. I need to focus on the improvements by the week not by the day. Here is a picture of my knee with the puffy, pink painful area to the mid outside of knee. Any thoughts or had anyone else had this? please don't judge, i am nervous to shave near incision ,lol.
[Bonesmart.org] On the other side of surgery
 
I still have to ice to keep the swelling down. IMO your incision looks fine. Swelling pops up at different places all the time.
 
Could be soft tissue still swelling under the incision. Swelling can continue for months after surgery. I'm happy you're seeing the swelling go down.
 
I can't say for sure what the significance of the swelling is but please don't worry about shaving and being judged, silly you. That's the last thing to worry about and you are wise not to shave near the incision now.
:)
 
I think your incision looks fine. Swelling and wierd areas are just part of the overall process. I glad you are easing up on the pt , and them both torturing & scaring you. What was your rom last time it was measured? Compare that to 2 or 4 weeks ago and as long as there is some progression, just look at the trend, not the day to day.

Have you left the house yet? Sometimes it feels good, tho tiring, to change scenery even for a small outing. When are you supposed to return to work?

Hope today is a better day
 
True there is going to be swelling in different places at all stages of this recovery. So my ROM last week on Wed was 70 then on Thurs it was 75. I have not done any exercises since then as I have just been walking around the house and doing small chores. Now that has improved as well as the swelling. Have not checked ROM as it was ALL i was thinking about causing me to get so depressed. This may not be the best way to go about it but at this point it is trial and error. I have only been leaving the house for PT appts. On Sat I sat in the truck while my husband picked up a couple items in Publix. My Dr filled out my return to work date on the FMLA papers for Nov 11th. He feels 12 weeks is best for TKR. However my boss said at anytime I feel up to it I can work from home. That would still mean not going into work on site till Nov. That helps as I would not have to use all my ETO which I saved up 9 weeks, work anytime thru out the entire day not just 8-5 and it may take my mind off the knee. Down side..short term disability would stop and right now that is extra money. Also would end my continuous FMLA but might be able to go to intermitent FMLA, the rules are crazy to follow. I have PT tomorrow and Friday still up in the air about it. My stomach starts turning just thinking about it. However I know I will get exercises done there where at home I feel I am not putting in the effort. Feeling lazy.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom