TKR On the other side of surgery

Paula's right, pt should not hurt. If your knee is hurting you may have more swelling which will limit your ROM.
 
Happy Happy Birthday Coleen. May you and your recliner party like an iced rock star?
:dancy:

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side of surgery
 
@thecoll I've had that issue of raising my hip also. Seems when ever I am pushed to a range that I am not at yet, my hip starts to raise. As for relaxing I remember the P/T saying when I first started how much muscle guarding I had going on, wasn't sure exactly what he meant. I was trying to be relaxed and let them do what needed to be done, but sometimes when they pushed, I seemed unaware and without trying I pushed back. Finally in time my body seemed to allow myself to move more freely without fighting back. I think you can try to relax but I think it's out of your hands, I really had no control over that muscle guarding, guess I was just trying to protect myself from pain. ( you may be trying to do the same thing, not sure maybe someone else on here knows how to over come it sooner than I did, had muscle guarding for the first 3-4 wks I believe.)
 
The ẃeather has not been bad just some rain no wind. Looks like it is headed more north. I can not drive yet. My OS said perhaps at 6 weeks so mu husband has to take me to PT 3xs a week. So PT is not painful, its just the knee area is so tight that its more like stretching burning sensation. I am so confused by PT saying we need to bend and to do the exercises thru out the day and others saying not to push it and less better. Tomorrow will be my 3 weeks and I rest, ice,elevate still almost all day. Trying not to get down.
 
@dianehelen thank you for the birthday wishes. Yes my recliner and I are living it up iced style. @zzevi I have not heard of muscle guarding but now that I have it sounds exactly like me. I am anticipating pain which is more like a stretch burning feeling rather than pain. Perhaps within a week or so it will relax.
 
Happy Birthday!
I'm icing right here with you. For some reason my OS does not allow recliners, so I am couching it with the pillow stack. Raising a toast (with my prune juice) to your birthday.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Happy Birthday! I hope your day is a great day with little pain! If we read a bunch of threads, you'll find quite a few of us did or do not pt at all. Just living each day is pt enough. But, I know you are tired of hearing this. But, doing less really, truly works!
 
Happy birthday! Wishing you years of comfortable walking and moving!
 
I wonder if the reason for no recliners is, it's hard to get your leg high enough for elevation? I know I used ours the first probably 5 wks, and I was icing when I sat, but my daughter mentioned mom your need to get you leg above your heart and in the recliner your not, so when I started looking into elevating more I moved to the couch with a stack of pillows and I have it high enough now and it did seem to make a difference.
 
The tightness, stretching and burning is your knee/soft tissue swelling inside, which makes it difficult to bend. I did some exercises during the day; stretching, heel slides, straight leg raises. But I refused to do anything that hurt or let anyone push on my leg. They did it once and I said absolutely not. The PTs wanted me to do squats 2-3 weeks after surgery, again after one I said no more.
 
Thank you all for the birthday wishes! It was a day of rest, ice and elevation. My husband made some very yummy tacos for my birthday dinner.
 
Happy Birthday! It will take time for your entire leg to adjust for your new knee. Eventually you will be able to move easily without compensating or guarding.
 
So beyond frustrated. Just left my 2nd outpatient therapy appt and my leg is just not wanting to bend. After 6 minutes on the bike they thought it would be loosen up. Wrong. So we spent 20 minutes bending it while hanging off the table. The ROM only got to 66. Really over it, when home PT was coming it was at 80. I know it will take time but I feel like a failure.
 
Please dont feel that way. Read read and reread all the threads about bending & rom. The more you keep trying to force it, the more swelling you cause, and making the bend harder. I tell you this so I can remind myself of the same words when my time comes. Maybe take a week or so off from the pt appts and just do some gentle wirk on your own

You are NOT a failure
:hi:
 
Diane is right. The more you try and force it, the more it's going to swell. It CAN'T bend when it's swollen. It's a catch22. I am doing really well without pt or forcing my knee at all. It just comes naturally. Give a month off of pt and exercising. Just do normal, everyday things. You will see a huge difference in movement! It has been proven over and over again! What have you got to lose? Except a lot of pain and frustration! Just relax about it!
 
Remember a huge part of recovery is patience, just concentrate on getting the swelling down, maybe you need a break from PT, you can do your heel slides when the swelling goes down. You are barely three weeks into your recovery, this is going to take time!!!
 
Thank you @sistersinhim and @dianehelen for the encouragement. Also great analogy of the hose. I have to stop and remember this is a marathon not a sprint and I have never been good at running or even jogging. I am very good at floating.This healing process us going to take time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom