Guest viewing is limited

TKR On the other side of surgery

Set the rules to begin with in outpatient pt. No pushing on the knee and nothing that hurts. Hopefully they'll put you on a bike and you can rock the pedals for a week or so until you can do a full rotation.
 
Thank you for reminding me to elevate high enough. During the day I use the recliner with 2 pillows but I have read on BS something about elevate at or higher than heart. My knee has been more sore today probably from all the activity. My OS told me today to stay on the pain med schedule as it is still to early to cut back.
 
Great report on your two weeks follow up, the knee feels so much better once the stitches are out.

I think heel slides really helped me, I used to do 10 twice a day, then when I was able to do the bike that really helped also, icing and keeping the swelling down will help with the ROM, remember aggressive PT it's going to make you swell and hurt!!
 
He's right, still too early to cut back on meds. At around 4 weeks I began to forget the meds, so I began cutting the pills in half.
Sometimes it felt good to lay flat on my sofa with my legs propped up on the sofa arm. I'd get so tired of sitting that this felt good and my toes were above my nose.
 
My biggest mistake early on, which home PT helped me with, was elevating on 3-4 pillows (depends on thickness) and like @KarriB says, 'toes above the nose'. I sometimes even did 'heel above my nose'. This will help so much with swelling. Wishing you a good night tonight!
 
It sounds like you have a wonderful OS that realizes that ROM will come in time and there is no need to push it. It is very hard not to get impatient and want to be 100% immediately. Yes, this is a marathon not a sprint. It will take a year for that knee to heal and remember we all heal at different rates. Just follow the Bonesmart mantra and you will progress in due time. I am at three months out and have full ROM and can go upstairs normally and am still working on downstairs. I am still icing and elevating when the knee feels especially stiff. Just be gentle with yourself and you will do fine. We are here to support you when you get discouraged and depressed. It happens to all of us.
 
PS I live in Gainesville, FL. We've been getting lots of sun but there is more rain to come next week.
 
You are doing really well @thecoll, Colleen for only 3.5wks out! You are going to be so amazed at how things will improve in the coming weeks! = )
 
@Floridagal, you are just a couple hours from me. My son lives in Gainesville as he is a Senior at UF. Got to love them Gators! Thank you @Suz for the encouraging words. I am thankful for BS!
 
@thecoll yes, elevate nice and high, something I didn't do very well in the beginning. I elevated, but not the toes above the nose. Think you will find doing it correctly will help with swelling.
 
I woke up this morning to a very tight and stiff knee. Now in the recliner to elevate and ice. Going to make the call today to set up outpatient PT which makes me nervous. I know their job is to help me with my new knee to gain ROM and to ensure I obtain the maximum benefits with a new joint. Just scared its going to be painful.
 
When you call, ask what their philosophy is. I had one group who pushed and used weights on my knee. The second group was gentle, concerned about my pain and never pushed my knee. Shop around for a group you feel comfortable with. The second group was further away, but my family was willing to drive me until I was able to drive myself.
 
When my OS gave me a double-sided page of recommended PT in my area, I asked him,' Specifically, which practice AND which therapist would you have your wife see if she had just had this surgery?' He recommended only one - the one I'm seeing, who has been the BEST I have ever had!

Good luck!
 
Great tips thank you. I have a 9:45 appt tomorrow. I happen to work for a hospital that has a large ambulatory (outpatient) multi specialty clinics thru out our county. For which I happen to be one of the I.T. personel for my Ortho MD and our Rehab dept. The staff and therapist are wonderful besides having a zero dollar copay is a plus as well. My OS said the samething.. he would send his wife to this rehab. Tomorrow the visit is basically an eval then we will set up the rest if the fun appts. I appreciate everyone's input more than you know.
 
I had my first outpt rehab appt today. pure torture. My ROM has decreased in the past few days but we will work to better this in the next 4 weeks. I keep lifting my hip when bending and the therapist said I need to relax it in order to get a better bend. Anyone else experience this and if so any advise would be appreciated.
 
I have done that lifting of the hip to get better range. There's probably some reason not to, but it seems to me that getting to the bend easier and less painfully can't be all that bad.
 
Can't answer your question directly, but will pass along that my OS told me that the bad pain I've developed in my left hip was not arthritis, but strained everything from walking stiff legged and bowlegged on my left knee. So it is possibly to distort your hip because your knee prevented you from walking properly. Do you think your hip might be still in overcompensation mode from the years of a bad knee?
 
@greatlakes great point! I have been bowlegged for years and I am sure my hip is overcompensating. I need to learn to relax the leg/hip and not keep it so tight.
 
you are doing so well. How was your weather today? Bad storms this afternoon to your east. Did you drive to pt, or have someone take you. I'm kinda dreading it. But I'll see what I can tolerate. Hope you are resting well now.
 
PT should not hurt. If it does, it is causing inflammation and more swelling which in turn means less bend. It a domino effect. Less pain means MORE GAIN!!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom