TKR On the other side of surgery

"It's quite simple really - the swelling and the fluid in the swelling is tough to get rid of. So long as it's there, the ROM will be obstructed. That's why 'a couple of weeks' isn't really going to do anything. You'll find that 4-6 weeks will be much more likely to get results." Josephine. Sorry, I'm really bad at quoting messages!

Colleen you are still very early in recovery that following Josephine's advice is doable. You've been "working" hard at pt with no results from the beginning, instead of letting your knee heal. Take the next few weeks to work hard at not working. No exercises, just icing, elevating and heel slides on your own.
 
I hope you can find the strenght to stand up for yourself and maybe your husband can be helpful also. Just let you O.S. know your working on your own at your own pace and your happy where you at right now. One of my conversations with the O.S. came down right to that, I told him I was ok where I currently was in my recovery and he told me at that point I may gain some more ROM but he didn't think much on my own with out the MUA, well once I got the monkeys off my back and relaxed I did move forward with my ROM, not sure where it currently is as I am not doing much stretching these days with that open wound that I am trying to heal shut. But I don't feel like I've backslide either. As soon as I am able I will resume doing movements to help with the ROM, would love to get back into water aerobics. ( do what you feel in your gut is right for you and your situation.)
 
7 week post op update:
It has been a week since updating my status and much has happen. After my appt with my OS on Fri the 23rd that weekend I did my bending exercises all weekend. My OS wanted me to do PT 5x's week for two weeks then see him back. This past week I was already scheduled for PT on Mon, Wed & Fri so I went to all 3 appts. On Mon my ROM was 80, on Wed it was 85 and Fri she did not measure. Prior to seeing my Dr it was between 60-75. This coming week they have no PT openings so I am to call each day to see if there has been any cancelations. I will continue to work hard on my bending exercises at home and on Fri Oct 7th when I see my OS again regardless of ROM I will decline a MUA as I know it will get better with time. Still hoping he will release me to work from home as I am out of vacation hours and short term disability is trying to get out of paying me.
I reached what I call milestones for me this week: although slow at it I am now able to get full rotation on my recumbent exercises bike, I got up in the truck using the step bar and not the step stool twice and finally went to the grocery store with my husband. I used the electric cart as I was not ready to walk the entire store. This was the first time in 7 weeks that I went somewhere other than PT. Boy people would stare at me trying to figure out why a young person was using it. Then they saw my beautiful scar and cane in the basket and looked away.
I am still using my ice machine at night...how long did any of you continued to use it? In the morning when getting out of bed the knee is sorta stiff but not painful.
I get up thru out the day to do small chores and still use the cane when leaving the house. My Dr and PT said no real need to focus on my walking as I seem good but to remember to bend knee when walking. I am by no means fast when walking..when will the speed pick up? Still get swelling after standing to long and after some exercises so I elevate and ice. Lately I have been feeling tired during the day and feel the need to nap but fight it so I can sleep all night. All in all staying positive that my ROM will increase and trying not to compare myself to others who may be doing better than me. Also trying to remember that 7 weeks is still early in this recovery.
 
So happy is see you back online! :wave: Been keeping you in my thots & prayers! Glad you're improving in your ROM. Like you, I'm trying to have a positive, patient outlook for ROM to increase. I've been back to work for 2w-1/2 days, & even though I come exhausted, I notice I'm walking more normal (reminding myself heel-toe all the time) and I feel my ROM is increasing some (not had it measured). I'm going to back PT Tuesday morning just for some exercises/tips in areas I feel I need help. You're doing great for 7 weeks! :yes!: Hang in there! Good to have you back! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for the update. I've been thinking about you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Happy to see your update. I think of you often. You are doing so much pt, but you seem to be ok with it. Just glad you are seeing some progress. I stopped the ice machine overnight just this past week and seem to be ok with it.

Im still taking the cane when out, but walking around the house at times without it.

Keep up the good progress, and good attitude!
 
@thecoll
My walking has gotten faster over the past few weeks, so I think yours will too, as time passes. I am now about 17 weeks out. Sounds like you're doing very well.
 
I relate to the instruction to remember to bend when walking. If I don't consciously think about it, I revert back to the stiff leg hobble that I had for so many months. Walking is very slow, just because I have to keep retraining my brain and leg to bend that knee. "It works now, leg, so use it!"
 
Good to hear from you! You're still early in your healing, so don't get frustrated!
 
Glad you can get a full rotation on the ex bike...keep up the good work and in time your leg will get stronger and walking will become easier. Your knee is still in early stages of recovery, so it's going to be the boss for awhile longer :yes:
 
@thecoll
I used my iced machine for at least three solid months. Even when I was working from home, I'd slap that puppy on my knee. Nothing relieves the pain and swelling for me like the ice. I still sleep in eight-hour ice packs on days that I walk a few miles (or generally over-do it) - if not, it takes a couple of days to recover.
 
Thank you for the feedback everyone. Funny how 7 weeks just does not seem lime early stages until I think about what all this knee has gone thru. My husband reminded me yesterday that I have hardware in my knee, bones were cut, screws placed and a new joint was created. Now 7 weeks does not seem that long. Good to know as time goes by walking will pick up and become faster.
Glad to hear @Joyfull61 that I am not the only one attached to the ice machine at night. I will keep using it until the day I can sleep on my stomach again. At least I wised up and am now freezing water in plastic bottle and uing it in the ice machine. My husband was buying bags of ice every other day or so.
 
@Joyfull61, which ice pacts do you use that last 8 hours? I'm lucky if I can get 2 or 3 hours out of mine.
 
Finally....at PT today I reached ROM of 90. I am 7.5 weeks out and many of you reached 90 way before I did but I am thrilled. My OS gave me two weeks which will be this Friday and wanted me to do PT 5 days week for total of 10 visits. However they have been fully booked so I have only had 4 visits but I have been working on bending at home. I have 1 more PT visit this week before I see my OS again Friday, I am shooting for 95 and will decline a MUA if suggested. Milestones...happy dance.
 
YAY! Thats great to hear. Maybe its a good thing PT was booked, maybe you got the rom from your own efforts

Im sure your OS will be happy and be quiet about MUA :)
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom