Bilateral TKR On the other side now!!

@KayeKaye WOW! They really put you through the wringer!! How rude of her to get angry with you. Not very professional. My husband and I were just discussing whether its worth going back to PT on Monday or not.
If (and that's a big 'if'), I do, there is no way I will allow him to bend my knee like that again.
I just noticed you had BTKR the week after me! Are you going to stop PT all together or find
another place?
 
I have stopped all PT a couple of weeks ago. The only thing I will be doing now is swimming when I decide where and when. At least I am not dead tired for days in row now. I still get very worn out if I try to do too much. How about you?
 
Swimming sounds like a great idea!! Since the last time I went to PT (Wed when he hurt my knee so badly), I've just been doing my heel slides and walking, icing, and elevating. And you know what...my knees are feeling less angry! How can PT bend a swollen knee and believe they are doing something productive for recuperation? I called my OS office about it and the nurse called back leaving a message saying, "they are supposed to push hard on the knee in order to get it to bend." Ugh. I'm going to cancel PT and see how I do on my own. Are you driving? I haven't yet since it's my right knee that isn't quite ready yet. But, I may just practice in the driveway. If I can, I think you have a wonderful idea with swimming and then I could drive to the YMCA to swim! :swim:
 
Hi @janway

I had my knees done 4 weeks apart in November & December so I am 5 & 4 months out now. Just wanted to let you know that things will get better. My left knee was done second -- and it had the most damage -- and its always been stiff. The right knee has always been "loose" but its finally beginning to feel more solid. Its so frustrating to have a "good day" when your knees don't hurt, then sometimes for seemingly no reason, the next day or two they are not! Months 4 & 3 seemed to be the worst with the "one step forward, two step back" progression. There seemed to be such a fine line between strengthening activities and overdoing it and I constantly crossed that. I think that was the most frustrating and depressing time for me. Finally though, within just the last 3 weeks, I've had more good days in a row than bad days and I've both kayaked and cycled! Finally beginning to feel like the old me although I know my legs still have a long recovery road.

I am fortunate to be able to work from home and still work from my recliner with legs elevated because my knees hurt with prolonged sitting too. Up until several weeks ago when I did go into work, I used my 4 wheeled walker because it is a big building and while I may not have really needed it when I went in; after finally getting to my desk, then a couple trips to the printer room, bathroom and lunch room, my legs were done in. Now I'm bringing my cane for the same reason, but, not using it for weight bearing until I have to.

Keep up the good work; listen to your body and your friends on Bonesmart and you'll get through this.
 
@janway and @KayeKaye swimming was the first real exercise I started with and it was very effective. I used mostly my arms at first and just gently let my legs move as they would. A few weeks into it, I started gently kicking. I swim freestyle and at first, since I was on my stomach, my knees would hurt afterwards because they were naturally in a straight position. The hot tub was SO nice though..... I went in before and after the swim. I also started practicing walking up and down the stairs in the pool and hot tub. If either leg failed going down -- which they did a couple times -- I just fell in the water. I also did a kind of "jump rope" movement across the pool and back using these "foam dumbbells) the gym had. That would work upper body and abs as well as my legs. I alternated between that and the regular swimming. By the way, I started driving using my right leg about 4 weeks out, very short trips at first and then longer at 6 weeks. I was told by someone -- maybe on this forum -- if you start driving before your doctor gives you the okay and you get into an accident; if the cause was deemed to be your weak leg, your insurance company could deny the claim. Don't know for sure if that is true or not.
 
@kayak59 Great news that you are having more better days now!!! I'm looking forward to it!! I only had that one day and it felt great!! That's a wonderful idea to practice the steps in the pool! I used to love to swim, so this would be a great way to keep my knees moving and feeling so light in the water.
I'm not really sure where I stand with driving. When I saw my OS on 3-18-16, they said a few more weeks.
PT said maybe by the end of April. I do appreciate the information about the insurance. That is good to know!
 
Swimming sounds like a great idea!! Since the last time I went to PT (Wed when he hurt my knee so badly), I've just been doing my heel slides and walking, icing, and elevating. And you know what...my knees are feeling less angry! How can PT bend a swollen knee and believe they are doing something productive for recuperation? I called my OS office about it and the nurse called back leaving a message saying, "they are supposed to push hard on the knee in order to get it to bend." Ugh. I'm going to cancel PT and see how I do on my own. Are you driving? I haven't yet since it's my right knee that isn't quite ready yet. But, I may just practice in the driveway. If I can, I think you have a wonderful idea with swimming and then I could drive to the YMCA to swim! :swim:

Yes I have been driving for a couple weeks. Not much just once in a while. I only take 1 or 1/2 oxy at night to sleep so not on meds during the day at all. My pt thought I would be driving by now. Swimming does sound great, the only problem I see is walking through the parking lot and the building before I swim.

I love the quote I read by one of the mods here, that our knees are not lazy and need to get into shape, "they are injured and need to rest to repair".
 
"they are injured and need to rest to repair".
@KayeKaye - that is so true!!!
I'm not sure if 12 weeks will be enough time for them to heal before going back to work. I have to sit all day and can only imagine the stiffness and pain I will be in when I try to get up.
 
@janway I can't imagine either, I have worked from home for so long. Keep us posted how it goes when you finally go back to work. Maybe you can keep your feet up somehow or make sure to stand up every hour. That is going to be hard.
 
@Josephine,
I'm hoping you can help me. I had bilateral knee surgery on Feb 11, 2016.
I had at home PT and then went to outside PT for 4 weeks. The PT wanted me to come back for another 4 weeks, but after he hurt me to the point of tears - I stopped going.
My question now is...what exercises should I do at home?
Here is what I do now (given to me by PT at 5 weeks post op):
20 - straight leg raises 1 x a day
20 - gluteal set 1 x a day
20 - quad set 1x a day (where you have a towel under the knee and flex down)
I walk outside for about 20-30 minutes a day.
I do some chores in our home such as vacuum, dust, wash some dishes, fold clothes
I'm still taking Hydrocode 5/325mg every 4 hours.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! :flwrysmile:
 
I'll let Josephine answer more fully but, in my opinion, you don't need to do any of those exercises.
Just a short walk, and a bit of housework, are all the exercise your knee needs.

I did no PT at all and no exercises after my last TKR and my knee healed fine. It is strong and I have a good ROM. I can do anything I want to with it.
 
@Celle - That's wonderful to hear!! These had become easy to do, and I had wondered if there really was
any benefit in continuing them. I enjoy walking...I just have to remind my right leg 'heel, toe, bend knee' as I walk. If not, at times I mindlessly have a peg leg. Left leg moves pretty well.
 
Celle's correct. I did nothing either for two knees. It's all a myth.
 
I have to go back to work after twelve weeks too. I have to be on my feet all day. Maybe we could job share? :heehee:
 
Hi Everyone! I had an odd experience last night as I was trying to fall asleep.
Both of my knees felt like they were being stung by bees! Is this the nerves healing?
Has anyone else had this sensation?
 
Was it a quick jab and then it went away? If so that's normal. You can get them at odd times and in different areas. It's another joy of this recovery! :heehee:
 
@newlybionic It was like a bunch of quick "zingers" in both knees. They were fast and didn't last long.
Yes, the joys of this recovery!!! LOL:wink:
 
Yes, those zingers are normal. They are tiny electric shocks, sent by the nerves that were cut during surgery, as they try to re-connect. They do feel strange, don't they?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom