Guest viewing is limited

THR On the mend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Jaycey. I kinda thought the same. I think I will tell my PT Mi day that I need to do as you suggested. It's really painful and irritating having the nerve running down the back of my leg. It's giving me pre-surgery flashbacks! Ugh! Thank you for your prompt reply!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @45goingon90 ,

Sadly I know what you mean about the pains, I've just tweaked my piriformis and historically I've done it a few times along with the SI joint and hamstring.

Given our challenges post op I would seriously not recommend the stretches for the piriformis that you find on YouTube without clear verification with your PT, some of them could have your nice shiny hip protesting to say the least if not worse!

In addition to the rest and hamstring stretches Jaycey mentioned I also include the use of a small ball to massage the piriformis pain trigger point. You simply sit on the floor, place the ball under the trigger spot and then move gently to roll on and around the area - you'll know when it's the right spot. Start with a reasonably soft ball and work to a firmer ball till you find what works for you, I use a soft tennis ball, some use something softer, I even know some who use a golf ball! It works wonders on mine, just remember to ice it afterwards.

In relation to the sciatic pain, I've only experienced that through SI problems and it was caused by swelling and compression of the nerve. The only way I got round it was by rest, ice, gentle massage and occasional physio work to mobilise the area. So in theory the rest, ice and stretching should work for that as well. It's probably worth you or a helpful partner walking their fingers over your lower back, hips, glutes, etc, all along the sciatic nerve line to verify if you have a specific pain point, if it's related to the piriformis and if not then confirming what might be causing it. I've copied Josephine's nerve run picture below if it helps.

[Bonesmart.org] On the mend


Let's us know how this goes and take it easy, sadly a common cause is us starting to overdo things when we think we are better than we are.

Good luck and heal well

Hope that helped


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
@AndyH99

What GREAT advice!!! Thank you so much! I've been doing the ball trick several times since last nite, and WOW, what a huge difference it's making!!! That and the ice followed by rest is helping a ton. I can't believe how nasty that pain can be. The sciatic pain is 80% gone already, so I know it was from the inflamed piriformis. So, I guess I'll be relaxing a lot this week, instead of working on forward progress. . Oh well, slow and steady. I have very little patience...I'm sure I'll have lots by the end of this journey. Lol! Thank you and @Jaycey for the great advice! I'll keep you posted. I hoe your debut at work tomorrow goes well! Have a great week!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Good morning @45goingon90!
I have been reading your thread with great interest AND sympathy. In the early posts, I felt so bad for you having to deal with those awful panic attacks. I am also thrilled to hear that you finally got the meds to calm them down. I, too, had panic attacks early in my recovery, but fortunately for me, they were short lived. My GP did prescribe something for me, just in case, though. I remember when I was your age I started having panic attacks almost every day. I didn't know what they were until I ended up in the ER one night...thought I was having a heart attack. They were so severe I thought I was coming out of my skin...pacing, shaking my arms, feeling overwhelmed, blood pressure going through the roof...all the signs of panic attacks. Back then, no one gave me any meds to keep them in check. During all this, I was seeing my OBGYN who was trying to figure out why I was having pain in my lower abdomen. After all kinds of testing and procedures, we decided to proceed with a total hysterectomy, including removal of my ovaries. While it sent me into immediate menopause, low and behold, no more panic attacks. That was back in 1995. I never had another attack until post hip surgery this summer. I discussed it with my GP about the possibility of it being PTSD. She thought it was interesting that I thought about that as being the cause and agreed that it was very possible. It is amazing what this surgery can do to our body and mind. And everyone gets through it very differently, but somewhat similarly. God bless Bonesmart for giving us a outlet to share, vent and offer support and advice.
I am very sorry to hear about your brother's accident. My thoughts and prayers are with him and you, to give you the strength to get through this. It is a blessing that he has you by his side.
It does sound like you are doing really great with your recovery. I'm glad to hear that you have gotten that nasty pisiformis pain under control. Keep up your awesome recovery, my dear!
:flwrysmile:
 
@Nana757
Thank you so much for your post. You are a dear! Every week seems to have its new challenges, so I'm just trying to get there one week at a time☺️. I will be really happy when the piriformis calms down, but, it's all about patience and perseverance right now. I hope you are doing terrific! Much love to you!​
 
Hi 45 [ at times I feel about 90 lol]

So sorry to hear about your brother I have just helped my wife deal with the loss of her father but this will take time.
I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that the piriformis calms down for you and you can move forwards and have some stability.

Billy
 
I am right there with you! I have started to experience some pain in the piriformis area and it was at about 10 weeks that it showed up. Had read about it from several others and now I know what they're talking about. @Nana757 subconsciously referred to it above as "that nasty pisiformis pain". I don't notice the sciatic pain . . . yet! So glad to catch up on your posts and see how well you are recovering. We had similar emotional experiences. You have to remember that you are still on a journey and allow yourself to rest and heal. (I'm telling myself that too!) Take care.
 
Hello @Nana757
I am finally starting to feel almost normal again. It's been two weeks, lots of laying low, ice, gentle water therapy.... But I'm almost back. I'm hoping within the next two weeks I'll be doing what I was before I hurt the piriformis. Now that the pain is gone, my PT wants to take baby steps to get back to what we were doing. I've decided I can't expect to be 100% in 12 weeks. I will settle for a slower pace now, because I don't want that nasty piriformis to awaken again. Lesson learned!!! Unfortunately I have come down with a terrible cold, second one since my surgery. I hadn't been sick for over two years before surgery. Geez! Frustrating. My Dr told me to expect to catch a lot of bugs for up to a year because the body spends about 90% of its energy fighting the implant, leaving little for our immune systems to keep up. I never realized how miserably long a surgery like this would take to completely recover from. I am learning a lot about patience, and acceptance. (Accepting change) I wanted everything to go back to how it was, but that just isn't reasonable. I think I am finally ok with that, and learning to be grateful for what I CAN do. Different is ok.
So, how are you doing?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @45goingon90 and I'm sorry to hear that you have another cold. But I'm very happy to hear that that nasty "pisiformis" has finally calmed down for you. It's nice to see that you have a PT who has your best interests in mind and is starting you out slow. Yes, patience is key in this recovery process. If it hurts, don't do it. There will be plenty of time ahead. The best thing is, you have a shiny new hip and no more pre op pain. Hope you have a wonderful day!
BTW...I am doing great...Thank you for asking.
 
Ok Bonesmarties ... Have any of you had problems with your sciatica due to piriformis inflammation? My pain was almost gone until the last week....I was bumped back up at PT, and there went the sciatica again! Geez! So frusterating! My PT said that if it doesn't go away, I will probably need a spinal injection to calm it down. Thus helping me make progress with strengthening the flutes so it won't keep happening. It is such a viscous cycle! I am getting so tired of resting and icing, and be SO VERY careful! Anyone have knowledge or experience with this? @AndyH99 @Jaycey
 
@45goingon90 unfortunately I have tons of experience with sciatica and piriformis. What PT are you doing? I found hamstring stretches the most effective way to ease both issues.
My PT said that if it doesn't go away, I will probably need a spinal injection to calm it down.
This is not a decision any PT can make. However if your PT is not familiar with core stability and back issues ask for someone else. Sciatic pain can be eased with good PT. Trouble is there aren't a lot of PTs experienced in spinal issues.
 
Thank you Jaycey. I'm going to PT today and I will ask about doing more stretching. What a royal pain in the rear!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, and YESSSSS! @45goingon90 I have had and am still having REAL problems with Piriformis Syndrome/Sciatica... and I SO relate to what you're saying; I am 14 months out and it is still the fly in the recovery ointment. The joint pain is gone, for which I am of course very grateful, but the pain in the bum is a, well, PAIN. It's still preventing me from getting back to my "life" 100%, like you as soon as I increase the exercise it flares up and the only solution is resting.

I've been told that strengthening my glutes will help, but even 10 minutes of step ups or the other strengthening exercises been given can set it off and it takes days to settle... days of doing NOTHING. I'm heartily sick of it, as you can probably tell, lol. I don't usually go on about it as it seems somehow ungrateful, but I can certainly relate to your frustration. I have a massage every week, which helps a bit, acupuncture did more but I haven't had it for a while. I could have an injection, or take Mobic for a while... that certainly helps, but as getting OFF NSAID's was one of the principal reasons to have the THR in the first place I am reluctant. That said, it's gettin' close:heehee:

Strengthening your core is very helpful... I have good abs now at least, lol, and can at least now walk enough to do the shopping - which was too much at first. I wish you luck. Oh, incidentally, the last PT I saw said that it may have nothing whatever to do with the THR... I am at "the age" where these things show up and the fact that I was medicating before the THR may have masked the issues somewhat (that said my back was much worse pre THR than it is now... it's like the discomfort has "slipped" down - like everything else at my age :rotfl:)

Donna
 
Well, 2016 has come as expected, with so much more Joy than I thought possible. My thr has been one of the greatest gifts/challenges at the same time. It's definitely not easy, but with patience is such a blessing! Every month brings me closer to feeling normal. I have lots of times I kinda forget I've had a problem. I love those!! I am convinced that the warm weather this coming summer will diminish the last of the aches. Recovery is surely a slippery slope for the impatient folks, but I am so grateful to have the chance to be repaired. We live in a great time for medicine. Cheers to 2016 friends! Love and healing to you all!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Every month brings me closer to feeling normal. I have lots of times I kinda forget I've had a problem.
Wow - look how far you have come on this long journey. Well done @45goingon90 ! So happy you are getting on with living again.
 
What a thrill to read your update! Way to go girl! I so agree...there are so many days, now, that I don't even think about my hip anymore. Too bad you can't change your tag name, because I'm sure it no longer applies! Wonderful, isn't it?
:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom