Guest viewing is limited

TKR on the mend

@vinny I still do ice at times too, it does help with swelling. The heat as you said helps mobility, at least for me.
@metalheart have you tried any of the futebol excerises? I bought a ball and have tried a few with no ill effects. I am going to try a few of the Thera band ones to help my knee to get ready for driving.
 
Once swelling is down, moist heat is good for warming up the knee before stretching it. I used ice exclusively till about week 6, and from the green light rom my OS and PT. I do use ice after I exercise or on my knee for a while as it will swell some then.


Sara

RTKR December 1, 2014
 
What Vinny and Sara said about heat and ice....

Janmont.... good luck next week on your own. I am sure there will be challenges, but you seem to have the frame of mind that will get you though that time.

Funny you mentioned the futebol thing. Yesterday i went searching for the right futebol and ended up with a 6" or so "massage ball." I tried a few of the exercises in the book with the ball and that works. What works better for me is that anytime I am sitting, I put the foot of my surgery leg on the ball and rock back and forth and it usually feels very good. I also have put it under my calf and roll it back and forth to loosen up my calf muscles. Seems like a useful tool for me. I hope it works for you too!
 
Thanks, I will try it under the calf. My ball is 7inches and is a little big. I think I will look for a smaller one, the one on the futebol web site is 6 inches.
 
So - I read the total knee book too and don't remember the futebol - I went on amazon and came up with a bunch of brazillian soccer stuff. What is it?
 
[Bonesmart.org] on the mend
[Bonesmart.org] on the mend
The web site is www.brasilianfutebol.com
You can use any ball, this is some of what you can do
 
I like the idea of a more squishy ball for the exercises in the book and I am going to visit Target again and find one or get one from Amazon. What I found was this 5" GoFit Massage Ball and I use it much like a foam roller for quad, calf, and hamstring massage, plus I can roll it under my fit when sitting around. But, I can't use it for some of the exercises in the book that I think might be useful.
 
Thanks!! I have my book on Kindle so maybe I skipped some of the PT stuff, I'll go back and re-read it now that it's more relevant!

I was headed to target today to get a soccer ball so it looks like that will be perfect for these exercises! My PT had me stand with my back facing the wall and put a soccer ball behind my slightly bent Op knee and had me push into the ball and straighten my leg, it was helping to get the quad firing. I have found that if I wait until hour 5 of my percocet dose then I feel ok to drive - yesterday was my first solo outing and it went great!
 
I am going to look for a small squishy 6 inch one too, maybe in the toy dept.?
 
@TexasTee It'a good to see you are able to drive. One more step to being back to normal, is the operated leg the left one?
 
Hi Janmont - I'm sure you could find a smaller ball in toys...I can't think of a sport that would use a ball that size. I had my right PKR - I'm super tall and have an SUV so I can have the seat all the way back and still easily reach everything so it's no trouble for my knee.
 
Thanks @metalheart , I am doing well. My rom is 105 and I walked 1/2 mile today, after pain meds of course. I still have to have at least 2 doses to get through the day. I am 4 1/2 weeks out now and I see small improvements every day.
How about you?
 
@Jamie why can't I see the location, age, ect. in the box showing the users avatar? Did I do something on the I pad or did you guys change something?
 
My PT uses heat on my quads to help with the scarring and knotting since the surgery. Also helps to loosen everything up similar to warming up the legs at physio on the bike before doing the ROM checks. Love the heat for the quads, love the ice for the swollen knees. Just bought a compression cuff to help with the icing as well. works nice.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom