Guest viewing is limited

TKR on the mend

I'm having sleep issues now, too. I try to just be at peace with it, having some herbal tea, and reading or watching something on Netflix. It passes.

I'm getting bored, too. The days seem very long all of a sudden. Today I did too much in the house and am now collapsed in my recliner with ice and a cat. How long are you off work?
 
Hey, Janmont -- we had the same surgery on the same day! :-)

Glad to know that sleep issues are not uncommon with this experience! I take two Percocets before bed (which is usually around 10 or 11 pm) and that usually helps me sleep through most of the night. Occasionally I wake up at around 3 or 4 because of leg pain and then I usually take one Percocet which eventually lets me get back to sleep. I also nap during the day when I need to. As others have stated, sometimes it isn't the pain that bothers me so much as it is trying to find a comfortable place to put my leg. I'm finally able to turn to my side a little -- I hate having to sleep on my back. I usually have to, though. My leg bends a little more now and it doesn't complain as much if I lay partially on my side but eventually I usually have to roll onto my back.

Regarding the stiffness and lack of mobility, I've read that you should get up every hour or so and move around but I don't always have that much energy. For sure, walking around helps with the stiffness but I find it I try to do too much, my energy starts to flag. I guess it's all about finding the right balance.
 
Yes, balance is key. It seems like some days are better than others. At 3 1/2 weeks I am starting to feel like there is light at the end if the tunnel, I am sure you will get there too.
 
It doesn't have to be every hour for walking around. And it doesn't have to be much. Early on I wasn't walking around much other than to the bathroom and kitchen to get basic meals. Those were enough of a production.:heehee: Oh and shower and then lie down for a while.
 
It doesn't have to be every hour for walking around. And it doesn't have to be much. Early on I wasn't walking around much other than to the bathroom and kitchen to get basic meals. Those were enough of a production.:heehee: Oh and shower and then lie down for a while.

Yep, works for me! :-)
 
Hello @janmont

Just take your time, be patient, this early in your recovery, you will have good days and occasionally not so good. It all perfectly normal. Please make sure that you don't compare your recovery with that of others. That was my mistake very early on. I couldn't understand why everyone else was driving, I wasn't at 8 weeks and now 14 months down the line still no. I never achieved 0 on straightening my knee before the revision. It remained permanently bent until then which was 9 months after the original replacement was done. I achieved 0 last week woohoo x x

However I had a revision in September that has changed everything for the better. My RTKR feels like a proper normal knee now. Problem is my other knee has completely gone and I'm on the list for that one to be done. The type of medication I'm on for pain and anxiety do not allow you to drive. Unfortunately our car is manual (I think you call it stick shift) and I wouldn't be able to dip the clutch with my non TKR very easily.

If you don't do things by a certain date just know that you will eventually. Patience, time and exercise are key x
You're doing absolutely great. Well done x

Love Nana moon 27 x xx
 
Just popped in and read through your recovery thread. Every ones knee is different even your own. I was able to drive at 4 weeks with my right knee, I was off pain meds (which was the big requirement) and returned to work at 6 weeks. By 8 weeks I had 120 rom and my extension was -5. Sleeping was never an issue, I worked from home, didn't get up and walk around much, and used a CPM machine one hour a day. Now, the left knee was done December 29 and will be 7 weeks on Monday. I am still taking an occasional pain med, mostly at night. I don't sleep, I nap during the day, I walk around every few hours am doing out patient rehab twice a week rom is only 102 and extension is 0. I no longer work, am retired and glad because this knee is so very different. I just started driving this week and only because I could not bend the knee very well to get it into the car or drive very far with it bent. I used the CPM machine again this time and used it two to three hours a day.

Just listen to your knee, it will let you know when it is ready to do things. I have been frustrated because this knee isn't doing as well as the last knee, yet the OS said this left knee was in worse shape, this could account for the different recovery.

Patience is easier said than done, hope you can find things to keep your mind occupied while you rest, ice, and elevate. You do sound though that you are recovering nicely.
 
Thanks Nana moon and fiber lady for the encouragement. I know I shouldn't compare to others, but it is hard not to. I am with texas T, it is hard to do nothing. I am going to therapy 3 times a week and it is going ok. I do the total gym ( leg raises) and the bike (full rotation) for 10 minutes each. At home I do the bike and heel slide, leg raises, marching and leg extensions. I don't personally think this is more than I can handle. I also get massage on my adhesions ( scar tissue ) every time I go and it feels so much better afterward., I also get more rom when she does this. My rom is 100 right now. My therapist has a doctorate in physical therapy so I doubt she would do anything to make my wound "gape open " as Josephine says. I walk some, do a little cooking and laundry and it seems to be ok. I am still on Percocet but I cut my dose in half to 5 mg. I am usually good for three doses a day. I do sleep through the night which is a blessing. Sometimes I go to sleep 2 hours before meds are due and I don't wake up till 6:45 or so. My husband goes out of town for a whole week on Monday so it will be interesting to see how it goes. I have gained 4 lb since my appetite has come back. That is a bummer, I do like my ice cream. I will have to be careful in the future, has anyone else gained weight and had to really watch it? I Thought it was important to eat normally for the nutrition value. However it stands to reason, one would gain weight if you're not moving much. The day's sure are long and I am so ready to over this. You have to admire Maggie and the others who have had bilateral surgeries, one recovery and it's done.
 
You seem to be doing really well with good attitude, good range of motion, and an understanding of what you need to do to recover. Keep it up!
 
It's all about the long term. The first part of recovery does get old as you are having to listen to the knee and figure out what you can do with out overdoing and feeling worse. But over the next couple of months you will be able to get out and do more and before you know it you will be able to really use your new knee without thinking about it.
 
Hi Janmont - theoretically your body should be using a ton of calories to do all the repair work required after the surgery but I'm not sure it's balancing out for me, either. I'm at +2 from the weight I was when I went in for surgery - it's entirely likely that most of that is swelling but still pays to keep an eye on it.

Even when in a lot of pain I never, ever sat around like this so in my case I think the calories I'm not burning are balancing with the ones my body is using for repair, if that makes sense. I started tracking using a my fitness pal app last week to see how I'm doing and it's not bad but it's not great, either. I'm not trying to diet - just trying to make sure that the calories I'm taking in are focused on protein and complex carbs rather than sugar carbs or fat. If nothing else, it give me something to do :-)

I have been doing a lot more over the past few days and I'm no worse for it - I am making sure to balance it as much as possible - for instance, I'm going to brunch at 11:30 so for the past 2 hours I've done nothing but ice and elevate, will plan to do the same when I get back before doing my PT this afternoon. I'm not saying you should do this, simply, pay attention to what works for you and your body and just work within those limits.
 
Thanks metal heart, you seem to be doing pretty well yourself. I know things will get better, I do see improvements albeit slowly. I do find heat works well to make the knee move better. In the shower, I let the water run over it. I think I am going to get a heating pad. Has anyone else found heat to be helpful?
 
Hi janmount, things have gone well for me, no complaints despite some recent backsliding. I think your recovery is going as well as can be expected! I have started using a heating pad and it REALLY helps to increase mobility and pain relief for me. When my knee feels inflamed, particularly stiff, or if I feel stiff before activity, then the heat really helps. Worth a try!
 
I too am going out for brunch today and pt in the afternoon. I should start using my lose it app again too. My hubby has been cooking for us, not to high in fat but not great either. I did read the body burns a lot of calories for repair but I think I taken in more than I need. One of my favorite desserts is coconut pie and what does hubby do? Brings one home and of course I had to eat some so as not to make him feel bad. He leaves tomorrow for a week. It's then I will try to get back on track. Yeah for roasted brussell sprouts and cauliflower, he hates them both. I bought a few dinners from trader joes and my favorite veggie yogurt dip, cilantro and chive, comes from there too.
 
Heat? I'm confused. I thought we were only supposed to use ice on the knee and that heat might increase swelling. Did I miss something? :what:
 
Ice is best for the first few months. You can use heat on sore muscles but it's best to avoid heat on your knee until later in your recovery.
 
I initially read about it in a book I got before surgery. It is called Total knee replacement & rehabilitation written by Dr Daniel Brugioni and Jeff Falkel Phd who is a pt. They said in the book that starting week four you could use heat and went so far as to say some patients actually prefer it. I cleared it with my therapist who has a doctorate and she said it was fine. I just know it helps me.
 
I agree, metalheart, it does alleviate stiffness.
 
Read the same book, plus you can find many different post-surgery protocols that suggest that after the first few weeks, heat can be very helpful, especially moist heat. But, early on it is not so good an idea because it opens blood vessels and can contribute to existing swelling. My doc says heat is fine to use now at week 5 for me. I check with my doc on any therapy changes just to make sure.
 
Heat? I'm confused. I thought we were only supposed to use ice on the knee and that heat might increase swelling. Did I miss something? :what:
Ice is best for swelling and pain...heat can help blood flow and provide comfort and help movement...swelling inhibits movement that is why ice helps swelling at this stage you still swelling so ice is best and heat can also help with soreness. I would stick with ice for the time being

Vinny
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom