Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

Hip Infection On the healing side

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Yay for staples out! :yay:
Great news your OS feels all is back on track and there is no sign of infection.
Wishing you some restorative rest and end to the night sweats.
Enjoy that shower tomorrow!
@Shine533

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Oh, so happy to hear things are going well.:yes!:
You are doing just great Shine.
Hope this weekend is healing and happy!
:egypdance:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi there @Shine533 :wave:
Checking in to see how you're doing. Hoping all is well.
Please leave us an update next time you stop by. We'd love to hear from you.
Wishing you all things good. :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
Shine533

Shine533

Country
Hi Layla... sorry I've been MIA! Thank you for checking back to see how I'm doing.
Today is actually my first full day back to work. I work at home, thankfully, but as an editor there's a lot of sitting involved. I have to remind myself to get up regularly and move around!
Everything has been going well. PICC line came out a few weeks ago with no problems.
The incision itself looks dry and closed, but I have this fault line on my butt that I don't think will go away anytime soon! Still some numbness, which I understand is normal.
No sign of any infection. I am still on two oral antibiotics until mid-May. The true test will be when I am off antibiotics, if it returns. I'm nervous about that, but feel good, am taking care of myself, don't want to get paranoid about it. Just getting back to my life.
It is such a thrill to be walking without a limp. It seems like a miracle. All worth it now!!
Dealing with an infection is scary ... I hope all who find themselves in this position keep the faith and hang in there.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Shine533 it's nice to hear from you!
Thanks for updating. Great news on losing the PIIC line and feeling well enough to resume your work activity. So sorry you've suffered this setback but you're handling it well. You have a good attitude. I understand your concern, and can imagine how scary it's been at times. Thankfully you're choosing the healthy way in viewing it all by trying not to project, or stress over the situation. Prayers for perfect healing and a bright future. :prayer: Please keep us posted and stop by anytime. We're here for you and we care.

OP
OP
Shine533

Shine533

Country
Layla, you are so kind. Thank you. :flwrysmile:
Have a good week!

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Wow you are very brave and have handled this brilliantly. Hopefully this stage will be part of your past very soon and can concentrate on recovery.... fingers crossed for you!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Inspirational and so good to hear, @Shine533 !
Hope all continues to get better and better:egypdance:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi,
Checking in to say Hi and see how you're doing. Hopefully things continue to go well for you.
Leave us an update next time you stop by if you have time.
Wishing you all things good. I hope you have a lovely Spring!
@Shine533

OP
OP
Shine533

Shine533

Country
Hi @Layla and @clodaghcov,
Continuing to do well and am back to work. I still have to get up and move around often, but that's a good practice anyway. Just passed the three-month anniversary of the second surgery to clear the infection... I am grateful every day that things turned out well for me, and am hoping everything continues on this upward trajectory! I have a couple more days on the oral antibiotics, and the true test will be how I do without those. I've been on some antibiotic or other since December. Been back to taking baths (with OS's okay) with no problem. The actual incision has healed well but I think I'll always have that reminder of my journey ... :) :-) (: I don't mind!
I will be visiting a lake in July and will need to ask my OS about lake swimming when I see him next month.
Hope everyone has a good week! Hugs to those who need it. :tada:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Great update! Thank you for sharing @Shine533
The future is looking bright for you. Good news you're almost finished with the antibiotics.

I'll bet you're looking forward to your trip to the lake in a few months.
May it be all that you're hoping it will be. :swim:
Please stay in touch and enjoy the week! :SUNsmile:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
@Shine533
:happydance::dancy::happydance:
Hope all keeps getting better and better!

Klassy

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thanks for a great update @Shine533 . It’s wonderful to hear that you are doing so well now after that big hiccup in your recovery.

Wishing you onwards and upwards! to a fabulous holiday in July.

OP
OP
Shine533

Shine533

Country
Hi all, it's been awhile! I am doing great ... but my 91-year-old dad is scheduled for a left THR surgery on October 1. His left hip has actually started to fuse together and he has had so much trouble moving around. The OS had two options: Learn to live with it or have the hip replacement. OS said he is in good general health and that trumped age considerations. He said he has actually done patients older than my dad with good outcomes.

After an initial feeling of "heck no, I'm too old," Dad has decided to go for it because his quality of life has been drastically affected. He is a working musician (jazz piano) and his main motivation is to get back to playing without having someone have to assist him getting up and down from the piano bench!

We are hoping for spinal + sedation, which is also the OS's preference, but we were told it will depend on his numbers the morning of the surgery and will ultimately be the anesthesiologist's call. OS does anterior approach.

Any words of comfort and wisdom I can share with him as we await his date? He is, of course, very nervous about it, as am I... We are praying for a good outcome.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, it's nice to hear from you and wonderful to know you're doing so well. Thanks for updating.

We recently followed the recovery of a 91 yr old woman who experienced a partial hip arthroplasty. She is the mother of BoneSmart member (zauberfloate) Zauberfloates mom has dementia and is therefore not as physically active as your dad as a working musician. Nonetheless, she's been doing really well! Following is her recovery thread ~ https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/zauberflotes-mom-dementia-hip-replacement.55466/unread

It is inspiring to hear that your dad is in great health and still actively engaging in life and his music.
Your concerns are understandable, but I would trust the surgeon's judgement given your dad's good health and the OS's confidence in achieving a positive outcome. I'm sure you'll all be surprised at how quickly your dad comes around and is back doing the things he loves.

Please stay in touch, we'd love to offer support and encouragement as your dad moves through surgery and recovery. Wishing him all the best on Tuesday and praying for a successful surgery and uneventful speedy recovery.

@Shine533

Debru4

graduate
Country
I find it incredibly reassuring to know that surgeons are willing and able to do this procedure on healthy folks clear into their 90's! My dad had double knee replacements in his late 80's. His recovery was harder than had he been younger, but he felt it was so worthwhile, due to the decreased pain after he had recovered. He was mad at himself for not doing it sooner. I tried to learn from his experience and once my hip went bad, I knew a replacement would be a good idea. It always seems unfair to me, that as folks age, the pain that accompanies aging bodies often takes over, even though many are still so alert and able to be productive otherwise, like your dad. I hope my hip lasts forever, but it's nice to know if I make it to my 90's another new hip is an option!

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alaska!
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom